Skip to content

The Opposition View: Sunderland

Comments

• I must have had me rose-coloured specs on that day as I don't remember us being THAT bad or the Mackems being shrinking violets themselves!

• I think certain players did take it too far, although I maintain that Beany's tackle was idiotic rather than malicious.

• They totally like to ignore that their guy started a brawl from the touchline, that totally inflamed everything.

• Watched that Bean challenge back a few times, it's hardly a disgrace. Wrong angle to come in like that, but still trying for the ball.

The way some of these fans talk about us, is as if we're an uglier version of early day Wimbledon.
    Needless to say it's ridiculous, as even the Beast isn't really an aggressive player. Imagine what he'd be like if he was!

• edited October 2019

They didn't face the Beast last season * rubs hands together in anticipation *

• @chairboyscentral said:
    They didn't face the Beast last season * rubs hands together in anticipation *

Good point, we had Samuel at home. Could barely be different styles of play!

• didn't they crock Bolton in the first ten minutes....or did he crock himself? I forget.

• The idea that Bean would intentionally go out to injure another professional player is ridiculous.

• And saying that that is representative of an Ainsworth team, while at the same time admiring the character of Roy Keane says a lot.

• Like Beano's control of the ball...the tackle was characteristically a bit hit and miss.

• Bean had completely lost his temper following that brawl and it was a horror challenge

• @eric_plant said:
    Bean had completely lost his temper following that brawl and it was a horror challenge

I disagree with you there eric...

• Even if that was the case, which like @Wendoverman I disagree with, it doesn’t support the idea that injuring opposition players is a deliberate calculated tactic used by Ainsworth.

• no, of course it isn't. There's no way he'd have wanted to injure him

But the red mist had come down and it was an absolutely shocking challenge. I'd suggest that anyone thinking otherwise has their blue-tinted spectacles firmly attached

• Bad tackle, no intention to injure. I completely agree.

• I must have seen too many horror movies to be that shocked. :smile: I did not think it was that bad on the day and I was closer than those highlights to it. It looked like a run of the mill poor tackle to me...I know it was bad for the lad but I would not have called it a horror meself.

• Didn't remember it being "that" bad at the time and on watching the highlights back on that link see even less to make it anywhere near "horror"

• Thanks be to God we'll have more recent incidents to discuss over the weekend rather than a tackle from last season...?

• edited October 2019

No one holds a grudge like football fans.

Has anyone ever seen the Ainsworth tackle which ended that player's career? Was it as heinous as Sheffield United fans would have you believe?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    No one holds a grudge like football fans.

Has anyone ever seen the Ainsworth tackle which ended that player's career? Was it as heinous as Sheffield United fans would have you believe?

Quick get on the Millwall and Sunderland forums....if they know that as well as poor league finishes, shithousery and signing Fred he has ended a player's career he'll be stuck with us for life!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Thanks be to God we'll have more recent incidents to discuss over the weekend rather than a tackle from last season...?

I had forgotten how horrible the goalkeeping was for their equaliser.
    Well past the 90th too as well. Gutting.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Thanks be to God we'll have more recent incidents to discuss over the weekend rather than a tackle from last season...?

I had forgotten how horrible the goalkeeping was for their equaliser.
    Well past the 90th too as well. Gutting.

Yup...one of Rocky's 'Well, I saved the initial shot at least...' there were a couple of those last term I seem to remember. As well as a 'Got it. No Dropped it.'

• lot better so far this season to be fair..everyone has stepped up so far and improved.