Skip to content

New safety measure in terrace

1235»

Comments

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@drcongo said:

@Username said:
    You can't see the irony in that comment after how you've consistently described a fairly large section of supporters? Even if they don't comment on here, I know a few of them read it- why are they going to respect the "true old school" fans if you see them as vermin?

Respect is a two way street, and some decent posters have lost some of mine through this thread - and it's nothing to do with what they think of my opinions on the yellow paint.

I think you're under-thinking this mate. What you're calling irony is actually the paradox of tolerance - that pure tolerance, by definition, includes tolerating the intolerant. As this is a paradox, it's not really possible in the real world and everyone draws their line somewhere.

It appears that most on the gasroom draw their own line at not tolerating people who like to injure children. You appear to draw your line at not tolerating people who oppose injuring children.

I oppose those who are tarring a whole section as willingly injuring a child, when in fact it was 1or 2 people accidentally bumping someone.
    I've not seen a single post even of Facebook suggest that people getting hurt is fine, as you're trying to make out.

They're complaining about the manner of the solution, not that there shouldn't be anything done to stop people getting hurt.

As a side note if a 15 year old was in the "moron group" they definitely wouldn't be described as a child in here either I suspect...

There's quite a few posts on fb basically saying if you stand in a certain area on the terrace, you in effect know what you're signing up for, and as an extension of that deserve any injuries you get.

Your extension at the end is the key difference.

I largely agree with the first bit of that paragraph, and that's how I've always treated the terrace- whether that be in respect of language or physical crowd behaviour. If you go on certain areas of the ground you know what to expect, that doesn't give Carte blanche to hurt people, but those over exuberant celebrations are the norm now not just at Wycombe and just dismissing it won't work.

People have different levels of acceptable behaviour, and different levels are accepted in different parts of the ground. Half the terrace would get kicked out if they sat in the family stand and reacted the way they do. I see the area right behind the goal similarly to taking a young kid into the terrace and swearing being an issue.
    Yes the person swearing next to a child is inherently in the wrong, but it could easily have been foreseen avoided.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@drcongo said:

@Username said:
    You can't see the irony in that comment after how you've consistently described a fairly large section of supporters? Even if they don't comment on here, I know a few of them read it- why are they going to respect the "true old school" fans if you see them as vermin?

Respect is a two way street, and some decent posters have lost some of mine through this thread - and it's nothing to do with what they think of my opinions on the yellow paint.

I think you're under-thinking this mate. What you're calling irony is actually the paradox of tolerance - that pure tolerance, by definition, includes tolerating the intolerant. As this is a paradox, it's not really possible in the real world and everyone draws their line somewhere.

It appears that most on the gasroom draw their own line at not tolerating people who like to injure children. You appear to draw your line at not tolerating people who oppose injuring children.

I oppose those who are tarring a whole section as willingly injuring a child, when in fact it was 1or 2 people accidentally bumping someone.
    I've not seen a single post even of Facebook suggest that people getting hurt is fine, as you're trying to make out.

They're complaining about the manner of the solution, not that there shouldn't be anything done to stop people getting hurt.

As a side note if a 15 year old was in the "moron group" they definitely wouldn't be described as a child in here either I suspect...

There's quite a few posts on fb basically saying if you stand in a certain area on the terrace, you in effect know what you're signing up for, and as an extension of that deserve any injuries you get.

Just what I was thinking.

The solution being suggested by the people putting forward this perspective on FB is that everyone else gets out of their way so they don't need to have any regard for other people. This seems to be based on the idea that their actions are involuntary expressions of passionate fervour and, thus, that they are unavoidable. This is, of course, self-serving bollocks.

• Think what is yellow enough?

• edited October 2019

Was Trigger seen at the ground soon after some paint 'disappeared' from a shed near Clapham Junction?

• edited October 2019

@ReadingMarginalista said:
    Wa Trigger seen at the ground soon after some paint 'disappeared' from a shed near Clapham Junction?

Haha, you're not the first person to make that reference. My thoughts too.

• Is it the angle or is the exclusion zone massively further out one side than the other?

It'll be an interesting watch next game

• @Malone said:
    Is it the angle or is the exclusion zone massively further out one side than the other?

It'll be an interesting watch next game

It lines up with the centre block of the terrace, which doesn't line up with the centre of the pitch.

• It's the angle. goes from one yellow gate/steps to the other. Look at the stars, and how they shine for you

• They should paint the whole terrace and call it a goon free zone.

• Loved (still do) Only Fools but I must have missed the episode(s) to which the Trigger comment alludes.

• @micra said:
    Loved (still do) Only Fools but I must have missed the episode(s) to which the Trigger comment alludes.

• Great stuff. Thanks @niebieski, loved it.

• That looks horrendous.

Looking like Sunderland could be a sell out in the terrace, I predict chaos and a lot of arguments.

• If the terrace dwellers had anything about them they'd all be dressed in bright yellow to blend in with Banksies newest work of art.

• The WWFC page twitter posted a great video today of Cyrille's 10 goals for us.

Glorious nostalgia, but you couldn't half see the difference in the terrace in those days. Utterly rammed.

There was no room to be sprinting about in those days!