Skip to content

Saturday 12th October: “Non-League Day”

It’s that time again this Saturday (12th) when every season all football fans are encouraged to watch their local sides in what has become known as “Non-League Day”. Held in conjunction with Prostate Cancer charities, many local clubs offer special discounts to encourage people to watch their local teams. With no Premier League or Championship games and top League One sides like Wycombe Wanderers having their games called off, there is a large pool of supporters to draw upon.

The following is a list of local games within striking distance of High Wycombe that may take your fancy. One or two are slightly farther afield but look to be top matches on paper:

NATIONAL LEAGUE:

Barnet v Woking

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

Oxford City v Dartford
Slough Town v Billericay Town
St Albans City v Eastbourne Borough **

** If you have a WWFC season-ticket show it at the turnstile to gain entry at concession rate.

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER (CENTRAL):

Kings Langley v Rushall Olympic

HELLENIC LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Burnham v Virginia Water
Windsor v Lydney Town

SPARTAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Leverstock Green v Wembley

BERKS & BUCKS SENIOR TROPHY:

Amersham Town v Penn & Tylers Green
Winslow United v Marlow United

BUILDBASE FA TROPHY PRELIMINARY ROUND:

Aylesbury United v Sevenoaks Town (at Chesham United FC)
Berkhamsted v Herne Bay
Marlow v Chertsey Town
Uxbridge v Northwood

BUILDBASE FA VASE FIRST ROUND:

Flackeell Heath v. Colney Heath

If you go to one of these games please post a brief match report. Enjoy Non-League Day!!!!

Comments

• edited October 2019

Just to add, Andy, that Slough are offering free entry if you show a Premier League or EFL season ticket. They are only charging £5 for adults (16+), under 16s free.

Oxford City are offering free entry for up to two adults and two children, so one adult and one or two children qualify. See their website for details, you need to print a voucher off.

• Risborough v FC Clacton if you're near Al The Pal country

• F.A VASE FIRST ROUND
    Risborough Rangers v FC Clacton

Big game for Risboro’ as this is the first time they have made the competition proper and have beaten two higher step teams to reach this stage.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Just to add, Andy, that Slough are offering free entry if you show a Premier League or EFL season ticket. They are only charging £5 for adults (16+), under 16s free.

Oxford City are offering free entry for up to two adults and two children, so one adult and one or two children qualify. See their website for details, you need to print a voucher off.

Do you have a direct link to that Oxford City offer Steve? Had a look at their site but can't see it. Cheers.

• It's here @MindlessDrugHoover: https://www.oxfordcityfc.co.uk/news/non-league-day-families-go-free-2355782.html

It says print off the ticket below, I can't see that, perhaps they mean the flyer at the top of the article.

• Thanks - doesn't make it very clear but definitely off to that one.

• Probably the 2 top games locally are Marlow v Chertsey (last season’s FA Vase winners) & Risborough Rangers v FC Clacton in the FA Vase (thanks to those who added this fixture on this thread).

• Kings Langley are offering a discounted adult price of £7, instead of £11, if you show an EFL season ticket, or bring a dog along.

• I think i’ll go and see Oxford City.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that.

• I'll be at Nantwich v Radcliffe. They are offering £5 entrance for any PL or FL STH.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Kings Langley are offering a discounted adult price of £7, instead of £11, if you show an EFL season ticket, or bring a dog along.

Love this.

• A bit further afield for me for Epping Town v Hampton Town in the Anagram Trophy.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    A bit further afield for me for Epping Town v Hampton Town in the Anagram Trophy.

That sounds like a bit of a phantom game to me, nowt I can do about it though.
    Wasn't Pigpen the organist in the Grateful Dead?

• Tavi 4 Shepton mallett 1 at the ground where national Non-league day began. enjoyable game, closer fought than the score suggests.

• @A_Worboys as you asked so nicely...

Nantwich 0-1 Radcliffe Borough (Northern Premier League). Att: 605

Season ticket holders of all PL & FL clubs were offered entrance for £5 (normal price £11). However the man on the gate seemed flummoxed that a WWFC one had turned up. After giving him my life story he eventually let me in for a fiver. From the start Radcliffe bucked the form (think it was 7th v 18th) and looked the more threatening. Many will recognise the name of their manager, John Macken, who played for various League clubs including Man City in the early noughties.

Unfortunately the ref really spoilt the game, seemingly giving fouls for any kind of contact. The players quickly picked up on this, resulting in a lot of play acting, and a few scuffles later in the game as frustration boiled over.

The Dabbers' keeper kept them in it first half, earning him the MOM award. And the home side won a penalty, against the run of play in the second. The resultant save was too much for one fan, who looked to have collapsed, needing two ambulances to attend. Not sure if the lack of yellow paint had anything to do with this. Hopefully it was nothing serious. Those in the vicinity did not seem overly concerned.

Radcliffe eventually got the goal they deserved with a well taken finish from inside the box. The stadium announcer was overjoyed with the 605 attendance (think they get 100-200 usually) and thanked all those from other clubs who had attended. Nantwich are still in the Cup...I will be hoping for them in the first round in a couple of weeks!

• Marlow 1 Chertsey Town 0

Marlow squeezed through to the next round of the FA Trophy with a narrow victory over last season’s FA Vase winners. A rain-soaked crowd of 202 turned out with around 70 noisy visiting fans.

A Kelvin Bossman penalty on 79 minutes separated the sides. However, Chertsey’s attempts at a passing game were rather thwarted by a pitch that looked more suited to rugby union.

Chertsey should have had a man advantage but a poor referee only booked Marlow defender Curtis Ujah after he kicked out at a visiting player. Not exactly the sort of fayre to bring fans flocking to Oak Tree Road but at least the game was played despite the heavy rain.

• The only thing Marlovians flock to is Rowing, and expensive resteraunts !!

• Kidlington 0 Kempston 0 in the Southern League Div 1 Central. Prickly game with a couple of bad fouls but not much more. Izael McLeod was up front for Kempston.

• Barwell 5 - 0 Leiston
    Southern League Premier Central
    Att. 173

A comfortable win for the home side. Leiston really struggled to get the ball to their strikers and consequently had few attempts on goal, until the last couple of minutes of the 90 and two corners in time added on after Barwell took their foot off the gas, knowing the game was won.

Talking to a Leiston fan before the match started, it was sad to hear him say they are hoping for relegation this year as the team can't afford the travel from Eastern Suffolk to the other teams in their division. Currently bottom of the league and it looks like they'll get their wish.

• On a day when I was stuck at work, I really enjoyed reading those match reports, especially yours @LX1!

• Maghull FC 1-3 Redgate Rovers
    West Cheshire League
    ATT : 100ish.... normally 25 and about 10 dogs. In the summer you can watch the football on the right and the cricket on your left.

Arrived at 2:55pm to find the normally empty car park chocker. Free to get in as always. I know people who come here just for the food, it's spot on and very cheap too!

The game was ok with Redgate taking the lead before a well worked goal by Maghull. It was 1-1 at half time when I had to get off. The highlight was watching the linesman by me who was like a statue, he didn't run much but that was probably down to his old age. He must of been about 70, I'm not having ago at him because without them you wouldn't have a game. My local Sunday side are in the Liverpool Business House Premier League probably the most competitive and biggest leagues in the north west and they've had games called off due to a lack of referees.

• I watched Clapton beat Stonewall FC 5-2 (I think). 909 people watching a scrappy but classic non league bout.

• Probably due to the weather but not the best of attendances at games today. The attendance at @MindlessDrugHoover’s game between Kidlington & Kempston Rovers was just 32.
    It appears that where clubs made a real effort they did get some reward. Slough attracted 1,115 v Billericay while Kings Langley got nearly 300 which is good for them. As Rob Couhig rightly says, you have to create an event that people will feel they are missing out on if they don’t go.