Skip to content

Ainsworth off to Sunderland

Comments

• edited October 2019

Stendel won it last season, Cook the season before... One name I don't think anyone's mentioned on here is Roy Keane, who some Sunderland fans seem to want.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Stendel won it last season, Cook the season before... One name I don't think anyone's mentioned on here is Roy Keane, who some Sunderland fans seem to want.

Exactly. And obviously at the interviews that will be their pitch..."I know how to get you out of this division". It's one thing that Ainsworth can't offer them and probably the thing that they want the most. They have tried for stability with Jack Ross, they got that...but they want more now!

• You just know that Ainsworth would come across so well in an interview though. He speaks so well, and it's so natural

• Gareth seems very content with his life in this part of the world, why would he risk uprooting his family for a job where he’ll be unpopular and under pressure from day one?

• is that a serious question @floyd ?

• He would have to hit the ground running and look like a promotion candidate very quickly to have any hope of making it to the end of the season.

• What good does all this conjecture do? Why not wait and see what happens and then let forth?

• Conjecture is sort of what football message boards are for

• I've seen quite a few people on here and social media who can't see why GA would move to a club with the potential to be stable in the premier league.

• @Username said:
    I've seen quite a few people on here and social media who can't see why GA would move to a club with the potential to be stable in the premier league.

A few seem to think the distance is a big issue.
    But travelling is a huge part of football, it comes with the territory.

Didn't Baz used to come in from Lincoln for goodness sake. And our keeper used to drive 120miles each way every day apparently

Both of which were for a huge amount less money and status than this job would be

• @Malone said:

@Username said:
    I've seen quite a few people on here and social media who can't see why GA would move to a club with the potential to be stable in the premier league.

A few seem to think the distance is a big issue.
    But travelling is a huge part of football, it comes with the territory.

Didn't Baz used to come in from Lincoln for goodness sake. And our keeper used to drive 120miles each way every day apparently

Both of which were for a huge amount less money and status than this job would be

Exactly, I'm sure the wage they would offer him would more than allow him to relocate comfortably - that's if housing isn't part of any deal to tempt him

• We can only hope that Gareth's wife and kids don't fancy moving up to the north east.

• The Ebbsfleet job is available. Will he be able to resist the opportunity to work with Gozie Ugwu, Myles Weston and Josh Umerah?

• With Sunderland, Millwall and Reading all reportedly showing an interest you'd have to think he is in an excellent negotiating position. There may never be a better time for him to roll the dice

• How old are his kids does anyone know? I would imagine it would be easy to keep his home down there and rent a place up north to stay and give it a few months on his own. But that can be dependent on family and how he thinks they’d manage seeing him less.

• I chatted to him recently and he mentioned Reading and QPR as the ones that would be difficult to turn down. Surprised Reading aren’t after him that seems a much better fit.
    As for his family - 3 kids under 13. I would imagine that they would stay put in Wokingham ....
    But would be mad to turn down Sunderland if offered IMO

• Totally irrelevant to this or any other current thread but is anyone else experiencing jerky/sometimes frozen scrolling on the Gasroom? Also, I wonder if it would be possible to return to the same page (if not the same post) after thumbing? I frequently hit the wrong thumb so then have to repeat the process twice.

• Have a thumb transplant!

• Looking through the Sunderland forum, they liked this...

• @eric_plant he’s not going to Sunderland.

• A deputy headteacher in dubai with 76 followers.

Seems legit.

• I posted that for the need for a "rotten bastard" rather than the rumour itself. He is being linked, though: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-leicester-boss-nigel-pearson-17075079.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• edited October 2019

• Sounds more like he got the letters wrong in his surname, should be cockwash!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Again, not reading too much into this, but I suspect this could be his agent? Or it could be bullshit. Why did this have to drag on over a weekend?!

Are you being serious? It's the most obvious fake account I've ever seen. Aren't journos taught to verify sources these days?

• edited October 2019

Having now read his header, I think it is ? (I'm not a journo...)

• Shurely the Sunderland job is one of the poisoned chalices of football unfortunately for them with current financial situation and level of expectation. Good for GA name is on the list but think it would be a bad move for him that wouldn't work out for either party as wouldn't be given the couple of seasons he'd need to get as others have said players, team, club and supporters together and then they'd make some waves upwards. He's had opportunity here to make mistakes and learn which I don't see happening in Macland. So for all concerned hope he doesn't go.

• As it looks like Larson and Kuyt are going to Southend as a management team not as owners I assume the rumour they wanted to 'buy' us with Denis Ajax was actually total ballcocks?

• Or merely a second option as they were batted into touch by Don Trev