Skip to content

Disaster Scenario: Who to replace Ainsworth?

Comments

• I want to say the crisp issue would not influence me but...

• @Username said:

@eric_plant said:
    As a rule of thumb I would ask myself "would this manager appeal to the sort of person who watches Soccer AM"?

If the answer is yes, I would cross them off the list

I think you've made it clear enough your disdain for anything remotely related to youth football culture.

I don't know what that is. But it sounds utterly appalling

• Teresa May is available

• I believe Ainsworth has stated in the past he’d take his back room staff with him. He’s a humble guy and always the first to admit that any success is not his alone.

That said, we’d be mad if Dobbo wasn’t one of the first names on the list. You can only ask...

• Traditionally, with the exception of Alan Smith, we have gone for young, unproven and invariably somewhat inexperienced managers eg O’Neill, Gregory, Lambert etc.

Someone mentioned Tim Flowers earlier. He would certainly fit the template but another ex Wanderer is out there along similar lines, Gary Holt.

• Tony Adams is available.

• Livingston looked to be very much in the image of Gary Holt (Head Coach) when they rattled Celtic last weekend (beating them 2-0) with their “in yer face”, all action pressing game.

• Gary Holt? - it's a no from me, and from anyone who can remember the manner of his leaving Wycombe I should imagine

• Can't see Bayo and MO'N in the same dressing room - seem to remember Bayo expressing some negative opinions about Martin at his book evening in the Vere.

• Martin O’Neill or Brian McDermott for me. I don’t think Holloway is unrealistic either.

• I’m not saying this as an ideal scenario, but for someone with lower league experience, a decent win ratio, and experience of managing an unglamorous club against the odds - Neil Harris?

• We're really convinced that Gaz is off then, huh?

• Don’t you people see the kind of destabilising effect pointless speculation about the next manager has on a club, haven’t we suffered enough, that said it’s Tisdale, definitely he’ll come here at the drop of a hat.

• I shall be outraged if we fail to lure an unknown manager from the Portuguese third tier.

• Neil Harris?? You have to be joking. At least my reference to Gary Holt was tongue planted firmly in cheek (although I confess that I was unaware, or had forgotten, the circumstances in which he left). Totally agree with @chairboyscentral and @BuckinghamBlue although the latter rather spoilt it by joining in the “destabilising” (?) speculation!

• If Ainsworth is clearly a major part of why they came in for our club ( their words) it would interesting to know what the Couhigs and Mark Palmer are doing behind the scenes while all this speculation is happening. I’m sure they must be concerned that this could destabilise the vote. I know the club have given permission for Ainsworth to speak to Sunderland but we have heard nothing from the Trust Board or the Couhigs.

• We’ll hear plenty from them in three days’ time. Let’s hope it’s positive and re-assuring.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Can't see Bayo and MO'N in the same dressing room - seem to remember Bayo expressing some negative opinions about Martin at his book evening in the Vere.

Really? What sort of things.
    And surely that went down badly?

• Not that it matters, but Parkinson is now the odds on favourite.

• edited October 2019

Nope, back to evens. Ugh, I wish the odds meant something.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Nope, back to evens. Ugh, I wish the odds meant something.

They do. They mean bookies making money.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    Don’t you people see the kind of destabilising effect pointless speculation about the next manager has on a club, haven’t we suffered enough, that said it’s Tisdale, definitely he’ll come here at the drop of a hat.

Or perhaps a nice WWFC badged flat cap. I’m told Peaky Blinders is a hit across the pond. If Rob and Missy can spread the word that Tisdale is a Shelby on his mum’s side then the Stateside marketing potential is limitless.

• Well - not that the bookies know anything apart from how to take peoples money, but Gareth has drifted out to 8/1 on Skybet this morning

• Parkinson now 1/10. Does THAT mean anything?

• Probably means we need to start worrying about Millwall ............

• Ainsworth now out to 10/1 for Reading job. Fourth favourite. Who knows this could just be a terrible dream and when we wake up he will still be our manager. Fingers crossed. Until the next time someone is willing to give him a chance.

• We'll do pretty well to resist three bigger clubs advances!

• @Malone said:
    We'll do pretty well to resist three bigger clubs advances!

I don't think we'll have resisted anything! But thank our lucky stars that "big" clubs are so averse to giving proven managers from "small" clubs a chance!

• @Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Can't see Bayo and MO'N in the same dressing room - seem to remember Bayo expressing some negative opinions about Martin at his book evening in the Vere.

Really? What sort of things.
    And surely that went down badly?

Can't really remember the details TBH, think Martin might have made a comment years ago about Bayo not being his idea of a footballer (perhaps to do with his build), and Bayo took exception to that. Can anyone else who was there remember? The fans present didn't react much at all, from what I can recall. Must admit though, it was a bit strange being at Adams Park and hearing Martin being referred to in less than glowing terms!

• Not favourite for any of the vacant roles now....we could just get away with this.

Great for us, but disappointing for Gareth that Championship clubs won’t give a great League One manager a chance.