Skip to content

Disaster Scenario: Who to replace Ainsworth?

First of all, i do not want Ainsworth to leave, who would?

However there is no harm in being preemptive and planning or speculating who could, should and is actually capable of replacing him.

I saw some names floating around online but nothing that made my eyes jump out of their sockets thats for sure.

Forest green manager one of them.....not sure about that.

Thoughts please.

All have a good day too........ITS FRIDAY !!

Comments

• edited October 2019

I don't want to think about it, but Michael Flynn, Chris Powell or Ian Holloway. Mark Cooper ex-Wycombe player, in fact - has got FGR very well drilled defensively, but they don't score many goals. I'm not generally fussed about style, but I'd rather 4-3s than 1-0s!

• Derek Adams is available.....................

hopefully for WWFC Gareth will still be manager at the next game. Cant stop a little bit of me hoping for his sake that he is in the other dugout. It would be a wonderful opportunity for him. Still feels more likely to me that they go with Stendel.

• You're not really a Wycombe fan at all are you?

• Ainsworth leaves, deal doesn't get voted through, Couhigs leave... Dutch ride to the rescue and immediately install Henrick Larsson as manager...

Btw, I really hope Ainsworth stays, but wouldnt blame him for the riches if he decides to go, hes earnt it.

• Hoping that Gareth will stay and see this job through.

But I think Martin O'Neill is available.

• POTY!!!!!

• Matt Bloomfield will be the next manager bit not for a while yet. There isn't a job on the table tgat Ainsworth would leave for now that won't be available again inside 18 months.

• Ian Holloway for me

• How much would it cost to get Tisdale from MK?

• We have no realistic chance of getting Holloway or Tisdale.

Flynn would be a more realistic option, but I think if he turned down talking to Lincoln, he'd turn down us too.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    We have no realistic chance of getting Holloway or Tisdale.

Flynn would be a more realistic option, but I think if he turned down talking to Lincoln, he'd turn down us too.

I agree on Tisdale - or anyone with a league club tbh - being unrealistic, but Holloway has managed down at our level before, his previous gig was only at Qpr as well where he was sacked. If he fancied another go at management I can't see why we wouldn't have a chance, especially if RC's takeover goes through.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    We have no realistic chance of getting Holloway or Tisdale.

Why not with Holloway?

• @AlanCecil said:
    Hoping that Gareth will stay and see this job through.

I had the very same silly little dream last night!

• Holloway for me and I think he would come

• I think Holloway will have wage demands outside of our range.

He gets a load of punditry work too, so I doubt he's in desperate need of work.

I could see him going to one of the 'big' clubs in League One, but not us.

• Ainsworth to Holloway is the stuff nightmares are made of!

• Tim Flowers has done a hell of a job at Solihull. I'd at least want to bring him in for an interview and see what he's got to say

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • In an ironic twist, I'd go for Jack Ross. His record at Alloa in his first full season and St Mirren in first full season were fantastic. His win % at Sunderland was 50% and he only lost 10 out of 75 games there.
    I think he'd fit the ethos and is perhaps happier at a team punching above their weight, than a supposed "big" club.
    I've no idea why Sunderland sacked him, other than the unrealistic expectations of their fans. The Netflix documentary was a huge eye opener for unrealistic their fans are. Most clubs would be very happy with a Play-off final and JPT final last year, 6th in division this season, with a game in hand - Donald is delusional. We've all seen what happens if the board are patient and give a young manager time to learn and grow.
    Only downside I can see is that he drew a lot of games up there but then most League One teams treated them as an FA Cup final last year...

• @AlanCecil said:
    Hoping that Gareth will stay and see this job through.

I wonder if the risk would be too high, as there is a very real "never go back" saying for a reason.
    Couldn't be anywhere near as good again surely?!

• Ian Holloway thinks the EU is at fault for handball rules and that Brexit will fix it.

No thank you.

• Why not stay close to home. There must be someone on the Gasroom who has seen every game, has inside knowledge of how the club is run, experience in the commercial arm, knows the limitations (and wages) of all the players and possesses all the tactical skills that have been sadly lacking recently.

• With the squad and philosphy Gaz has assembled, it can only be one man.
    Send out the call for the young pup John Beck !!

• I would take Jack Ross I must say. Did an outstanding job with St Mirren and I wouldn't judge him on the way it ended at Sunderland. Probably too far South for him though.

On reflection not sure Holloway would be the right fit although I'm sure it would be entertaining.

O'Neill would just be unbelievable.

Hoping of course that Ainsworth stays and we can put off this discussion.

• Outside bet on Alan Devonshire !! If the Couhigs could fund a driver !!

• Keith Scott and Dave Tarpey for me.

• The moment someone mentions Keith Scott !!!!

• Ziggy Hoffman spotted making his way up Hillbottom rd with CV in his hand !!

• O'Neill would work on a number of levels, not just because of sentiment either.

Firstly, he's an outstanding football manager, one of the best in British and Irish football over the last 20 years.

Secondly, he has a strong bond to our club. As someone who lived through all of it first time around he still sits above Gareth as our all-time greatest manager but GA is closing all the time. His appointment would help fans get over the huge loss of GA (and one presumes Richard Dobson) and keep the momentum we've seen this season.

Thirdly, he's available and it might just take it on. He's 67 now and seen by some as a bit old hat following the disappointing end to his time with Ireland and his short tenure at Forest. Taking over a good Wycombe team might just appeal - is he honestly going to get something more attractive?

Fourthly, and I think most importantly, his style of football isn't greatly different to Gareth's. He loves a big striker and players that will play in committed attacking fashion. So we wouldn't be bringing someone in who couldn't work with the current crop of players or would need to change it all around. He'd absolutely love Bayo!.

Would certainly make the Sunderland game interesting wouldn't it? The two sides being managed by our two greatest ever managers, both in the first match as manager having also managed the other club at some point.