Skip to content

New safety measure in terrace

Comments

• edited October 2019

@drcongo said:
    I've tried to follow this thread but I have absolutely no idea what "limbs" means in the context of any of the rest of the discussion.

Without wishing to plug too shamelessly, I wrote a (quite obviously not serious) piece on this and other modern football language. Hopefully it explains! https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/worst-football-phrases-social-media-limbs-love-see-veins-tekkers-bottled

• Well Mr Middle - I thought that standing in front of old guys at Wembley (who perhaps @Username feels should have been organised differently by the stadium but were not) ignoring the interests of the old guys was a similar issue to jumping around at AP and hurting kids (who perhaps @Username feels should have been organised differently by the stadium but were not). So yes I widened the discussion slightly as I was interested in his answer.

I'll drop out now though if it helps. I have no idea what "limbs" means in this context either by the way.

• You need to get an Urban Dictionary @drcongo.

• Limbs seems to be this generation's "scenes"

• Every generation has it's own words that the previous generations think are "awful"

• I'm not of the previous generation...

• You'd feel a shimmering ape saying something was "Limbs" over the age of about 23 though wouldn't you.

• There's always people that like to feel superior in every generation too Marv.

• Started out as a bit of 'Limbs' hit 'Ribs' along the way and ended up all 'Yellow Lines'...

• edited October 2019

• any reason for the edit? I also was intrigued to know who Marv was! Same one as on fb?

• Oh ffs, I went to retype and now can't remember what I was gonna say. Not sure who Marv is, though, or what that's got to do with anything.

• @Username said:
    There's always people that like to feel superior in every generation too Marv.

Out of interest, how old are you?

• I grew up on the terraces behind the goal at WWFC, originally at Loakes Park and later at Adams Park. In that time goals have been scored, promotions won and great cup matches played. The terraces have always been a lively place, but they have always been a safe one. Kids have been moved to the front, so they can see the game. There has never been need of a no-go area for anyone of any age.
    When goals have been scored we've reacted with far more than polite applause, we've leaped in the air, shouted, danced, hugged complete strangers and many other reactions besides. We have never marauded around crashing into and injuring people who have the temerity to get in our way.
    The club have taken action because they have a duty of care to their customers. In my opinion they have taken the wrong action. We all share a duty of care to treat each other with due respect for each others wellbeing. The club have treated the symptom, not the cause. If a few irresponsible idiots deem it their right to crash into others and cause injuries then they should be kicked out and banned. They are not the life and soul of the terraces, or Gods gift to atmosphere, they are just a moronic menace.

• Hell of a post that one

• 100% agree @bluenotes .

Respect for others is surely the major consideration

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    100% agree @bluenotes .

You can't see the irony in that comment after how you've consistently described a fairly large section of supporters? Even if they don't comment on here, I know a few of them read it- why are they going to respect the "true old school" fans if you see them as vermin?

Respect is a two way street, and some decent posters have lost some of mine through this thread - and it's nothing to do with what they think of my opinions on the yellow paint.

• Just stop injuring kids mate eh?

• @Username. Please note I did not describe anyone as vermin. I also said we all share a duty of care for each others wellbeing. I do not assault you, you do not assault me wherever I choose to stand. You have no right to act in an irresponsible manner, whether on the terraces at a football ground or anywhere else.

• @Username said:

Can you think of a better way of ensuring more people rush to the front after a goal than painting it yellow, stopping people going in there and then the constant arguments that will obviously ensue throughout the game? I can't.

Staggered rails? Would stop it in an instance.

• @eric_plant said:
    Just stop injuring kids mate eh?

There's been 2 maybe 3 incidents in, so 2 maybe 3 people have done that, maybe 5-10 people involved, out of 100s.

And I definitely wasn't aiming my comment at you bluenotes!

• Is that Marv Vermin? I thought he'd stopped coming...?

• @username, who is "Marv" you mentioned yesterday?

And there were 2 incidents alone at the last game weren't there?

• edited October 2019

I am intrigued to know who Marv is also. A short-lived post apparently addressing Marv appeared yesterday, but seemed to disappear before he had time to respond.

Edit: It's not disappeared actually, its still somewhere up the thread.

• I just suspected that one of the wind ups on FB could have an alter ego on here, wide of the mark it seems.

I only thought it was the 15 year old? A previous incident nearer the corner was mentioned by Twizz as well.

Whether there's 2 or 4 is largely irrelevant anyway, it should be none, but it's not anything like some on here would have people think- that if you step on the terrace you'll likely be spear tackled.

• There's a guy with the same name on Twitter - can't be too many Wycombe-supporting Marv(in)s.

• @Username said:
    You can't see the irony in that comment after how you've consistently described a fairly large section of supporters? Even if they don't comment on here, I know a few of them read it- why are they going to respect the "true old school" fans if you see them as vermin?

Respect is a two way street, and some decent posters have lost some of mine through this thread - and it's nothing to do with what they think of my opinions on the yellow paint.

I think you're under-thinking this mate. What you're calling irony is actually the paradox of tolerance - that pure tolerance, by definition, includes tolerating the intolerant. As this is a paradox, it's not really possible in the real world and everyone draws their line somewhere.

It appears that most on the gasroom draw their own line at not tolerating people who like to injure children. You appear to draw your line at not tolerating people who oppose injuring children.

• edited October 2019

@drcongo said:

@Username said:

I think you're under-thinking this mate. What you're calling irony is actually the paradox of tolerance - that pure tolerance, by definition, includes tolerating the intolerant. As this is a paradox, it's not really possible in the real world and everyone draws their line somewhere.

It appears that most on the gasroom draw their own line at not tolerating people who like to injure children. You appear to draw your line at not tolerating people who oppose injuring children.

I oppose those who are tarring a whole section as willingly injuring a child, when in fact it was 1or 2 people accidentally bumping someone.
    I've not seen a single post even of Facebook suggest that people getting hurt is fine, as you're trying to make out.

They're complaining about the manner of the solution, not that there shouldn't be anything done to stop people getting hurt.

As a side note if a 15 year old was in the "moron group" they definitely wouldn't be described as a child in here either I suspect...

• @Username said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    100% agree @bluenotes .

Can't see the irony to be honest. This 'fairly large section of supporters' you talk about here become 1 or 2 further down the page. In any case find one instance where I've described them as vermin?
    Further more they are not 'true old school fans'. Those are described brilliantly by @bluenotes on this thread. The current group at Wycombe that have caused a no go area on the terrace are very much new school if anything. Do what they want with no respect for others with an intent to be filmed for social media likes.

• @Username said:

@drcongo said:

@Username said:

I oppose those who are tarring a whole section as willingly injuring a child, when in fact it was 1or 2 people accidentally bumping someone.
    I've not seen a single post even of Facebook suggest that people getting hurt is fine, as you're trying to make out.

They're complaining about the manner of the solution, not that there shouldn't be anything done to stop people getting hurt.

As a side note if a 15 year old was in the "moron group" they definitely wouldn't be described as a child in here either I suspect...

There's quite a few posts on fb basically saying if you stand in a certain area on the terrace, you in effect know what you're signing up for, and as an extension of that deserve any injuries you get.