Skip to content

Ainsworth off to Sunderland

Unless the Stadium of Light doesn't appeal to Gareth, he's on his way ...

Comments

• No chance. He certainly wouldn’t uproot his family and that would mean him spending a lot of time on his own up north even if he was offered the job, which he won’t be. He’s not a big enough name for them. If Reading came calling though he’d accept that.

• Given permission to talk ... sizeable salary increase ... O'Nien in the dressing room ... unlikely a potentially 'bigger' club will come in for him ... he would have to be very comfortable with his circumstances not to be tempted by that ... and club can only really go up in the short-term ...

• Not sure if it's good timing, or bad coming just before the vote.

If the vote was a no, and it was after, it'd surely be curtains.

• In some ways, Sunderland would be better as there is less likelihood of any further exodus ... Dobson being the obvious first one, followed by who knows player-wise, the likes of Samuels, if he was lured across the border into Berkshire.

• Surely Dobbo will follow him?

Any players he wanted to take, either to Sunderland or to Reading would need a good fee.

• If Brexit goes ahead, and Nissan move out Sunderland will become a wasteland. Why would he take his family away from the relatively prosperous south east to somewhere with high unemployment.
    Also Sunderland’s supporters are going to struggle to afford tickets when they’re all on benefits.

• @Stewie63 said:
    If Brexit goes ahead, and Nissan move out Sunderland will become a wasteland. Why would he take his family away from the relatively prosperous south east to somewhere with high unemployment.
    Also Sunderland’s supporters are going to struggle to afford tickets when they’re all on benefits.

Jesus wept.

• Honestly, I dislike Sunderland, but they are massive. This is a real opportunity for him to not just become a second tier manager, but maybe PL too.

I would hate the situation if he left, but I would be happy for him personally.

• @Stewie63 said:
    If Brexit goes ahead, and Nissan move out Sunderland will become a wasteland. Why would he take his family away from the relatively prosperous south east to somewhere with high unemployment.

Silly stuff.

• @Malone said:

@Stewie63 said:

Silly stuff.

The last paragraph is errant nonsense. The first paragraph is a reality. Reading is a much more attractive proposition for Gaz on every level: family, fan expectation, div higher, owner expectation etc etc.

• If Loudwater combined school under elevens asked for permission to speak to GA the club would say yes it’s football management not indentured servitude.
    I thought a Lincoln move was unlikely for many reasons but mostly because their pot is made of the same tin as ours, the mackems however are a different proposition.
    If offered I think he would go but his style of football is not popular up there so he wouldn’t get any grace period from the home supporters, a couple of disappointing results and they would be on him.

• People used to say the same of Lambert and his style of football. Then he went to elsewhere and played a totally different style with their higher resources.

• Be devastating if he goes..... will literally feel like part of the club has died

• Thinking ahead and hopefully it doesn't come to it...... would a Bloomfield/bayo double act work? Let's hope he stays.....?

• If the terms were right & he was offered the job he’d be mad to turn it down. We’d just have to say thanks for a great 7 years and move on. That’s the nature of football - it’s a very fluid situation. You have to savour the good times as you never know what’s lurking round the corner. You need a board who are knowledgeable, well-connected and can move quickly. If Gareth goes there’ll be a queue of managers wanting to take over at Adams Park.

• edited October 2019

Rightly or wrongly, if he goes, I think it could affect outcome of the vote. Even if not, I hope that Rob and co. considered when they came in the possibility that he could leave before it got to the voting stage - I've no reason to believe they didn't/haven't considered it, but I can't say it hasn't entered my mind.

Anyway, apparently he's one of five candidates - that's what I'm holding onto!

• If he's offered the job I suspect it will be the hardest decision he's had to make as he's sitting pretty with us and it's a risk. Perhaps he thinks he won t be up there long so it might be worth it for the payoff without moving his family!!

• Opens up a whole can of worms if he leaves.

I can't imagine the Couhigs would not want to have a say in the appointment of a new manager. What right would they have to do so before a vote? None, I would suggest.

Would we therefore delay the process of appointing a new manager until after the vote, possibly derailing our season in the process?

This is all conjecture of course, but it feels as though further turmoil may be just around the corner

• Imagine if he didn’t take it and then the Couhigs weren’t voted in.. surely that must be going through his mind.

• I honestly don’t think he’ll be offered the job. We knew they were interested in speaking to him. It should come as no surprise, or indeed be cause for any greater concern, that they are now speaking.

• we established tonight that the interview process is basically an over elaborate scouting mission giving us the inside line on the underperforming overexpectant northern bell ends . Top work. Want to book in for next year mackems?

• This is the glass ceiling of small clubs. If everything goes amazingly well, and you somehow work miracles and punch far above your weight...your manager gets nicked!

Not saying it will happen for sure, but it is just one more reason why it is hard for a club such as ours to make the second tier!

• I genuinely think there should be a managerial transfer window.

• I must say I'm more concerned by Sunderland than any previous club linked. Including QPR actually. Just think they are a huge club and this would be an offer GA could not turn down.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    I must say I'm more concerned by Sunderland than any previous club linked. Including QPR actually. Just think they are a huge club and this would be an offer GA could not turn down.

Luckily many of their fans have made it clear they would be disgusted by having a manager who actually wins games. Fair play.

• Just came off the Sunderland fans forum and there is an amazing amount of unjust bile being thrown toward GA.

• It would definitely sting for the first game to be back at AP, while it is still raw for everyone. That being said, I would not begrudge him at all. I would hate it for us, but he deserves every good thing that comes his way (well, stretching it to call Sunderland a "good thing", but...)

The other difficult thing for me? I have always said GAs next team would be my "second team", eve if it were Leeds. But I simply dislike Sunderland.

• I’ll be completely honest, he would be crazy not to take that job on given our takeover situation. He’s going to be probably easily be on 10k minimum a week and if he only lasts a few months, he will be financially set for life. In the situation it all goes Pete Tong, we would happily have him back and he would have earned 1.5 million before tax as a minimum.

I’d happily have Dobbo appointed as a replacement but to be honest he’d be as mad to leave Gareth’s side.

As much as I’d love him to stay, at the same time for what he’s given the club I also want him to get the opportunity and experience. Good situation IMHO whether he stays or goes.

• edited October 2019

@Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I’ll be completely honest, he would be crazy not to take that job on given our takeover situation. He’s going to be probably easily be on 10k minimum a week and if he only lasts a few months, he will be financially set for life. In the situation it all goes Pete Tong, we would happily have him back and he would have earned 1.5 million before tax as a minimum.

I’d happily have Dobbo appointed as a replacement but to be honest he’d be as mad to leave Gareth’s side.

As much as I’d love him to stay, at the same time for what he’s given the club I also want him to get the opportunity and experience. Good situation IMHO whether he stays or goes.

Struggling to follow your maths there.
    10k a week is a huge amount for league one, so i doubt that for starters.

But say we take 10k a week, that's 520k a year, subject to huge tax.

So how on earth do you get to him earning 1.5m tax free?! Especially if he only lasts a few months! 6months on 10k a week call it 260k subject to tax still wouldn't set him for life!