Skip to content

Comments

• This really got the yoof aggravated on facebook.

They seem to think anyone who stands at the front does it at their own risk, just because a number of selfish idiots like to sprint to the front and clatter anyone in their own way, just so they can film themselves and talk about the "limbs" of it all.

• I wonder what would happen if the club or the injured parties prosecuted the morons who are not showing any respect at all to their fellow supporters.
    There really is no reason to have so many accidents and safe standing seems a long way away

• Surely just means those at the front will have to wait a couple of seconds longer before they make impact.

• Totally.

It's one thing being brushed by someone next to you celebrating the moment. Noone in a packed terrace would moan too much about that.

But it's quite another thing for some hordes of oafs to come zooming into you and crushing you.
    That's not the "emotion" of the moment, that's pre-planned.

• edited October 2019

Typical another attack on true fans who pay the players wages and create the atmosphere. If you cannot crush, shove and clatter unsuspecting fellow fans when the player you've been insulting for 85 odd minutes scores a goal...the world's gone mad!!! Bloody Gasroom!

• edited October 2019

I've been known to rush down the front after a goal, but that tends to be at away games where there's no one standing at the front to crush - I couldn't help myself at Southend last season. Having been crushed up against the barrier at gigs, though, I can tell you it's not pleasant. What goes on at AP obviously isn't on the same scale, but it's not surprising that there have been injuries. Still, all top banter eh, lads. Lads?

• edited October 2019

Some of the comments to that tweet are so selfish it's amazing how little thought they have for anyone bar themselves.

"People shouldn't stand where we want to celebrate"

The absolute ~*^%

• Inevitable after injuries. You can jump about enjoying yourself without smashing an old man or a kid to the ground. The club rightly has obligations under ground safety regs and basic decency, nobody who isn't a selfish prick wants injuries, people not bringing their kids or fines and ground closures.
    People can argue all they like and blame someone else when seats go in at the first available time

• Some people are suggesting that it will make it less safe. How?

• Possibly if you ride a motorbike, (as I do), those painted areas can get very slippery when wet/icey?

• It's a bit depressing that the club have to take measures like this, but it's clearly gone too far when you see a young lad led around the front of the Valley End in discomfort holding his side after the latest attempt to get on some viral video on a Facebook group that has the word 'limbs' in the title.
    Seeing that the perimeter fence behind the goal has always been the natural place that young kids like to stand, the 'superfans' complaining about the yellow paint could always do their amateurish mosh pit somewhere else. But then they wouldn't see themselves in the match highlights...

• edited October 2019

'Limbs' is one of the worst phrases/terms in modern football.

• I very rarely stand at the front, and there's one or two regular idiots who should have had individual talking to's, but I don't think this is the solution.

• This simply will not work. The real issue lies with the people stood right at the front, the ones getting crushed.. People will still surge forward when we score, this time however from behind a metal barrier, most likely knocking themselves out, crushing people against the metal barrier or causing injury running down the stairs. In my opinion the yellow zone should be directly behind the goal on the ground level. Poor poor decision from the club and very illogical

• Having stood on massive terraces at big grounds in the pre Hillesborough days I am so sad that some of the terrace dwellers can't behave themselves and have respect for others around them.
    There is quite simply no need for anyone to move more than a few paces from their spit when we score. Doing so creates problems.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Having stood on massive terraces at big grounds in the pre Hillesborough days I am so sad that some of the terrace dwellers can't behave themselves and have respect for others around them.
    There is quite simply no need for anyone to move more than a few paces from their spit when we score. Doing so creates problems.

I have no sense that there is a maximum allowable distance to move at any point in a game, for whatever reason, but I am clear about the need to do so with a proper regard for other people.

• The young lad who got hurt on Saturday was actually hurt twice, the first time he was helped by stewards around the front and through the gate back into the terrace. He was then hurt again when Bayo scored the penalty , again he was led around the front and back into the terrace, but seemed more seriously hurt and was taken away to see the medical people.
    I agree that people should have more regard for others safety, but it did seem a bit odd that this kid was put in a position for the same thing to happen twice within a few minutes.

• @IanBeale said:
    This simply will not work. The real issue lies with the people stood right at the front, the ones getting crushed..

So it's the fault of people standing at the front and not the people bundling into them?

People will still surge forward when we score, this time however from behind a metal barrier, most likely knocking themselves out, crushing people against the metal barrier or causing injury running down the stairs.

These 'people' are a very small minority. Somehow the rest of the people in the ground are able to celebrate goals jumping up and down like loons but also resist the urge go charging forward when we score.
    Those who stood on the Valley End 15-20 years ago at the top behind the goal will no doubt remember that there were occasionally bundles when we scored, but I don't remember anyone having to be carried away for medical attention (certainly not any young kids).

In my opinion the yellow zone should be directly behind the goal on the ground level. Poor poor decision from the club and very illogical

Kids have stood at the front by the perimeter fence ever since we moved into AP. The only thing that's changed is that a minority have tried to take it over in the last few years. Coincidentally the area they're trying to take over is the most visible in tv footage of goals being scored at the Valley End. Would they bother doing it if the cameras didn't pick it up?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@IanBeale said:
    This simply will not work. The real issue lies with the people stood right at the front, the ones getting crushed..

So it's the fault of people standing at the front and not the people bundling into them?

People will still surge forward when we score, this time however from behind a metal barrier, most likely knocking themselves out, crushing people against the metal barrier or causing injury running down the stairs.

These 'people' are a very small minority. Somehow the rest of the people in the ground are able to celebrate goals jumping up and down like loons but also resist the urge go charging forward when we score.
    Those who stood on the Valley End 15-20 years ago at the top behind the goal will no doubt remember that there were occasionally bundles when we scored, but I don't remember anyone having to be carried away for medical attention (certainly not any young kids).

In my opinion the yellow zone should be directly behind the goal on the ground level. Poor poor decision from the club and very illogical

Kids have stood at the front by the perimeter fence ever since we moved into AP. The only thing that's changed is that a minority have tried to take it over in the last few years. Coincidentally the area they're trying to take over is the most visible in tv footage of goals being scored at the Valley End. Would they bother doing it if the cameras didn't pick it up?

I agree with all of your points except the last sentence, to which question I think the answer is "yes".

• @IanBeale said:
    The real issue lies with the people stood right at the front, the ones getting crushed..

In the same way that the real issue with terrorist atrocities is that there are people on the streets going about their business practically asking to be attacked.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Some people are suggesting that it will make it less safe. How?

Suggesting that the same amount of people will be in a smaller area.

Which doesn't really make sense when the terrace is hardly jam packed anyway> @IanBeale said:

This simply will not work. The real issue lies with the people stood right at the front, the ones getting crushed.. People will still surge forward when we score, this time however from behind a metal barrier, most likely knocking themselves out, crushing people against the metal barrier or causing injury running down the stairs. In my opinion the yellow zone should be directly behind the goal on the ground level. Poor poor decision from the club and very illogical

Are you one of the "limbs" gang?

How is the issue the people who stand behind the front! "Oh sorry, my bad for getting crushed".

Stop the idiots doing the crushing. That is the issue.

• @Stewie63 said:
    The young lad who got hurt on Saturday was actually hurt twice, the first time he was helped by stewards around the front and through the gate back into the terrace. He was then hurt again when Bayo scored the penalty , again he was led around the front and back into the terrace, but seemed more seriously hurt and was taken away to see the medical people.
    I agree that people should have more regard for others safety, but it did seem a bit odd that this kid was put in a position for the same thing to happen twice within a few minutes.

Not sure why but the comment from @Stewie63 reminded me of this...

• YCMIU. Or could you?

• Confess I did chortle.

• Agree ‘limbs youf’ are causing a problem with these pre-meditated rushes and the paint really is just ‘papering over the cracks’.
    A lateral solution: perhaps the players (pre-meditated) ‘celebrations’ at the valley end need to be moderated?
    And yes before someone says it, perhaps we should only score at the away end in the first half!!!

• Why do people who don't want to jump around like a lunatic after a goal, choose to stand in the one place they know it's likely to happen? That's precisely the reason I choose not to stand there most weeks, it's not like there's a lack of alternatives.

• I must admit I am still really annoyed by the arrogance and lack of respect shown by those who are still intent on actions that could cause injury to others.
    I'd love to see safe standing in grounds but these morons are taking us back decades in terms of fan behaviour.

• Of course in the beechdean we stand and offer a polite round of applause and a slight nod of the head to those around. No running about but there is always a chance someone might topple over.?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I must admit I am still really annoyed by the arrogance and lack of respect shown by those who are still intent on actions that could cause injury to others.
    I'd love to see safe standing in grounds but these morons are taking us back decades in terms of fan behaviour.

If the area directly behind the goal was marked out preventing people from standing there it would solve the issue without taking away such a huge section of terrace.

That and / or a notice to inform people that the area right behind the goal is likely to be raucous so only stand there if you want to be involved, who loses there?

• Make the area exclusively for the drummers!