Skip to content

Alternative Investment Story

Comments

• @FmG said:
    It would be fairly easily be put in an online data room which protects it from being saved, copied, printed, etc. with each legacy member being given a link to it and views would then be tracked.

As someone who works with this kind of thing, I can tell you that this is impossible. There is no way to stop a digital version from being shareable, only techniques like steganography for tracking who has leaked something after the fact.

• @drcongo said:

@FmG said:
    It would be fairly easily be put in an online data room which protects it from being saved, copied, printed, etc. with each legacy member being given a link to it and views would then be tracked.

As someone who works with this kind of thing, I can tell you that this is impossible. There is no way to stop a digital version from being shareable, only techniques like steganography for tracking who has leaked something after the fact.

And if a copy found its way to Rebekah Vardy...

• Now I wonder if she was the source of the leak of the original story ??

• I've temporarily (or possibly permanently) removed the full text of The Athletic article as they've very politely asked me to. I've asked them if it's possible to leave it in place or even make the original article free to view at least until after the vote has taken place. We'll see.

• Do they have some tracker on people posting on forums?!

• @Malone said:
    Do they have some tracker on people posting on forums?!

Google and various other types are constantly scanning anything online, tracing several paragraphs of text is pretty easy tbh and definitely in their interests if people are breaking the pay wall. If it's all available for free why would you subscribe?

• This reminds me, I need to unsubscribe from The Athletic before they start charging me for it

• @eric_plant said:
    This reminds me, I need to unsubscribe from The Athletic before they start charging me for it

Ditto.

• Again late to the party but here's my initial thoughts.

When I first heard of the interest by some ex Arsenal players I thought, "how did it go last time we had a big name from Arsenal at the club?" Mmmm not particularly well, in fact bar Smith and Hayes was one of the biggest disasters at the club. Next thought was that if these ex players came in do you think They would stay in the background and not interfere with Gareth's day job. Probably not and so Gareth would be off soonest to Barnsley/QPR/insert name of club here etc. The spotlight would be on the ex player "stars" and not the club as it is. I want Wycombe to be known for being a club that achieves things above its weight class and not becoming a Salford type setup, being disliked by all because of the owners....
    I know folks are sceptical of people's motivation who want to invest, and only a downley boy winning the euro lottery and dropping in £10 mill would be acceptable but we do need to do something or we're likely to be up ship creek without a cradle.

I think to keep us as Wycombe and not some Netflix docusoap will be to go with Rob and crew rather than the Dutchies. Also I have lived for many years in both the Netherlands and the US and preferred the US so there you go. Rant over.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    The spotlight would be on the ex player "stars" and not the club as it is. I want Wycombe to be known for being a club that achieves things above its weight class and not becoming a Salford type setup, being disliked by all because of the owners....

My view also.

• @drcongo said:

Interesting. I deal with acquisitions a fair bit and we use very reputable data rooms to store DD information, We can set which access people have, including the ability to stop people printing or copying and pasting the information. I guess that doesn't stop screen shots of the pages but I've always been pretty comfortable that the information will be kept secure, maybe I need to have a word with our provider!!

• @FmG Yeah, those services are all smoke and mirrors. They'll put off your average user sure, but anyone who can open the developer console in their browser can quickly work out how to extract the document.

• @drcongo said:
    I've temporarily (or possibly permanently) removed the full text of The Athletic article as they've very politely asked me to. I've asked them if it's possible to leave it in place or even make the original article free to view at least until after the vote has taken place. We'll see.

Makes me feel old this and a bit sad.

Being a When Saturday Comes subscriber you can view all their back issues on-line - the feeling in the supporter/fanzine community in the 80s/90s of just doing something because you love it or feel passionately about it, or just enjoy writing, just couldn't be further away from football writing in 2019.

• @peterparrotface said:

@drcongo said:
    I've temporarily (or possibly permanently) removed the full text of The Athletic article as they've very politely asked me to. I've asked them if it's possible to leave it in place or even make the original article free to view at least until after the vote has taken place. We'll see.

Makes me feel old this and a bit sad.

Being a When Saturday Comes subscriber you can view all their back issues on-line - the feeling in the supporter/fanzine community in the 80s/90s of just doing something because you love it or feel passionately about it, or just enjoy writing, just couldn't be further away from football writing in 2019.

You're still a subscriber though? If it was totally free you could say it was different surely?

• @Malone of course, someone had to pay for staples and photocopying.

It was more the content and idea of helping each other inside that I was referring to. Quaint I suppose. The Athletic seems a bit different:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

The only fanzine that you used to pay you take it was Aveley's "There's only one Reggie Harris" who used to glue a 1p piece on the front.

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    Now I wonder if she was the source of the leak of the original story ??

'Denis planted ridiculous stories on his Instagram to see if they turned up in sporting magazines...'

• From that NYT article:

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

They sound like horrific people and I hope they go out of business.

• @drcongo said:
    From that NYT article:

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

That looks line a line from the tv show 'Succession'. Charming lot

• Sounds like a terrible overdone version of the Office.

• @drcongo said:
    From that NYT article:

Is he currently in The Apprentice?

• edited October 2019

@arnos_grove said:

@drcongo said:
    From that NYT article:

Probably the posh one who looks like he has rightly been smashed in the face with a frying pan several times I'd guess.

• @arnos_grove said:

@drcongo said:
    From that NYT article:

Unlikely...they would just be squealing 'I belong in this process....' or 'I'm a great salesperson...' or ' I never said I knew anything about jetskis...' in increasingly high voices.

• According to a Southend fan on another forum i use they are bidding to buy them now.

• @robin said:
    According to a Southend fan on another forum i use they are bidding to buy them now.

Officially? Or just putting 2+2 together after they saw Larsson at Roots Hall supposedly interested in the managers job?

• Being widely reported today that Larson is taking over as manager and Kuyt his assistant at Southend.

• Good luck to them! We have the right people lined up (subject to Tuesday’s proposals meeting expectations).

• Subject also of course to GA committing to remain at Adams Park. Only 54 hours more to be on tenterhooks.

• @micra said:
    Subject also of course to GA committing to remain at Adams Park. Only 54 hours more to be on tenterhooks.

Plus two weeks before voting closes @micra ! The suspense will kill us all I’m sure. ?

• Plus two weeks before voting closes @micra ! The suspense will kill us all I’m sure. ?

Then again, if it does, the yoof will no longer be able to call us "coffin dodgers". Boom - boom! ?

• Oops sorry @EwanHoosaami. I think I was assuming that we might hear on Tuesday that GA has committed to remaining at Adams Park at least to the end of this season. His decision will influence the vote of course as well as the commitment of the Couhigs who, like the rest of us, regard him, Dobbo and staff as key.