Skip to content

Wednesday quiz

edited October 2019 in Football

On this day 20 years ago, Sean Devine did something in the match versus Cambridge that no other player has done in a competitive game at Adams Park since. Can anyone remember what that was?

Comments

• Other than making me feel very old, I have no idea. He scored I think, but I am sure we have scored goals since.

Good question

• Scored in the 7th minute?

• Is it Devine scoring 4 home goals in a row,without anyone else scoring ? He got the last three as we beat Reading the week before, then notched in the 7th minute v Cambridge.

• Some valiant guesses, though no cigar. @ChasHarps fine bit of statto work, I won't be able to check whether anyone else has equalled or bettered that while I'm at work. If it helps, it's not to do with a sequence of anything else Sean Devine himself did before or after.

• Did he score with his first touch?

• Expanding on the suggestion from @AlanCecil : the goal Sean Devine scored in the seventh minute of the match was his seventh goal of the season. Has anyone else scored their seventh in the seventh minute since?

• @eric_plant he takes a touch and then scores

• I dont know why he didnt back himself to take it on first time looking at it

• Was that the game where he celebrated his 7th minute goal by feeding each of the crowd a fish sandwich with just seven loaves of bread in an act of Devine inspiration.

Or on second thoughts was that Dave "Jesus" Carroll.

• Would it be something around the timing of the goal, and that no one scored in the 83 mins after?

• His goals to shots ratio was less then 10% when a goal had been scored?
    He played with only one shin pad?
    He won the 50/50 half time draw?
    Jesus supplied a Devine intervention?

• @Tom That video clip reminds me why I was a big fan of Jermaine McSporran.

• Shared a cigarette with someone in the crowd?

• Backed himself to be first goal scorer?

• Was the beneficiary of a Jesus assist? Carroll left Wycombe about this time - can't remember exactly when.

• Scored with his left foot?

• The timing of the goal or any religious connotations the assister and scorer's names may evoke are not the answer, alas it is something rather more prosaic.

The first person to perform the 'feat' in a competitive game at Adams Park was Gary Smith. Since Devine's goal in the Cambridge game, the first person to score a goal that does not fit in this pattern was Adam Nowland, as has every goal that has hit the back of the net (metaphorically or literally) during a competitive game since the game Nowland scored in.

@Onlooker a bonus point for your guess making me chuckle

• edited October 2019

• Substitute scoring with his first touch after coming on?

• Based on your clue and watching the clip of goal wondering if it was the last goal scored in a old fashioned stanchion goal?

(not a regular poster but this question has intrigued me and also enjoyed the reminder of why I loved watching Jocky play!)

• @wwfc_since_1993 WINNER!

Impressive Wycombe goalframe knowledge indeed.

• Do have vague recollections of thinking the new style nets were impressive but surprised to be reminded it was as long ago as this!

Will always remember the old stanchions though - watching the Jason Cousins goal vs Scunthorpe and efforts it took to get the stuck ball out, is one of my strongest memories from football!

• Good question!

• @wwfc_since_1993 I never liked the new fangled box nets purely because the ball always seems to bounce out. The ball nestled satisfyingly in the net for Devine's goal in the clip @Tom dug out, the way it should be.
    I was privileged to be stood directly in line with Jason Cousins's famous 'ball stuck in the stanchion hoop thing' goal against Scunthorpe in 1994, right at the front of the Valley End (back when the 'limbs' was at the back of Valley End).

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    @wwfc_since_1993 I never liked the new fangled box nets purely because the ball always seems to bounce out. The ball nestled satisfyingly in the net for Devine's goal in the clip @Tom dug out, the way it should be.
    I was privileged to be stood directly in line with Jason Cousins's famous 'ball stuck in the stanchion hoop thing' goal against Scunthorpe in 1994, right at the front of the Valley End (back when the 'limbs' was at the back of Valley End).

I absolutely agree with you about the horrible box nets. IMO they don't look as nice as the old ones (biased as I am old), and the ball does seem to fly back out more often than not. By the way - what are those "limbs" you mention at the Valley End?

By the way, and before @micra pounces, shouldn't it be "..privileged to be standing..."?

• @Cyclops Don't worry, that word makes me feel old as well. It's a reference to https://gasroom.org/discussion/5203/new-safety-measure-in-terrace .

I'm as prone as the next person to butcher inadvertently the English language, but I would have thought it was either 'to be stood' or 'to have been standing' in that context?

• Exexellent quiz @ReadingMarginalista.

Nothing worse than the ball bouncing out of the net, most displeasing. That means the net is too taut. It should be loose enough to wrap itself round the ball and trap it. The ultimate goal is off the underside of the bar, back up to the roof, one bounce then nestling in the net.

I've never been keen on stanchions, when the ball rebounds off it and back out. Even worse, the ref thinking it hits it on the outside, when it had gone inside the net. Has the opposite happened, goal given when it hit on the outside?

We'll be talking about square posts next, semi-circular lines around the goal, tape for a crossbar, referees wearing jackets.

• I used to be jealous at away grounds in the 80's, when the opposition had square goal posts, and orange nets. In a perverse way,i did and still do love them. Hamden Park's were orgasmic.
    The ideal goal mouth would be square posts, a goal mouth with almost no grass, but a smooth mixture of sand and mud,rolled beautifully by the groundsman, so it was as smooth as icing on a Christmas cake. And adorned with thick creamy white lines and penalty spot.
    I'm off for a cold shower now.

• They’ve done away with stanchions? Bloody hell I can’t say I ever noticed. Strange to change it mid-season, was there a reason or just one of those things?

Great question though @ReadingMarginalista

• Wasn’t going to read this thread as (oddly) I’m hopeless at Wanderers related quizzes but it was worth the effort, not least to see the “I was stood/standing” reference. I am forever being picked up by Lancastrian friends for saying “I was stood” or “I was sat” and I think we’ve concluded that either version is acceptable. Where is @OakwoodExile when you need him?!
    Apologies for derailing.