Skip to content

Alternative Investment Story

Comments

• edited October 2019

They want to invest in an EFL club and Wycombe are on the market. That's about it. Nothing much to see here. Has no one noticed that Larsson has been at Southend lately? Doesn't seem like it was for their manager's role now, knowing what we know.

• @aloysius said:
    Well that is interesting. Vote No and get a Netflix documentary, a youth set up overseen by Dennis Bergkamp AND the Trust's initial preferred bidders taking over the club.

I'm afraid it's now incumbent on Mr Couhig to show his hand. Just what is his plan and how much money does he have to back it up? If the answers are disappointing there's a very glamorous option waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces - looks like Mr Stroud's gloom and doom predictions about us finding our level in the national league were just spin. I suspect because the one thing that will almost certainly change if the Dutch come back to the table is that he will no longer be invited to join their board.

Show his hand...?? They've shown it!! You got 11 new signings, a better matchday, held on to the manager of our dreams (for the time being at least) and we're flirting with the top 3 in League 1 and, dare I say it, having a go at getting into the Championship....

Have people not actually looked at what Rob, Peter & Mark have done....?????

Just because some big named ex-pros have fluttered their eye lashes and their ex pro cheque book you're now looking at throwing the Couhigs bid away...? Utter nonsense.....

EVERYTHING (bar an academy, which is no overnight thing and takes more than 4 months set up) that we needed as a club has been provided to us and in a reasonably short amount of time....

Look at how good the netflix documentary has been to Sunderland...and you really think that attendances will go up because Dennis Bergkamp is sat in the director's box..?

The future of this club is driving the ship NOW...we can't keep putting off decisions because someone else now comes along and thinks they have a better bid...

• Maybe it was to do with becoming manager, but he didn't want to take that role if their 'bid' came through with Wycombe and his focus would have to change.

If Wycombe Wanderers had an academy set up and run by Bergkamp, it will do well, we will make money.

@chairboyscentral said:

They want to invest in an EFL club and Wycombe are on the market. That's about it. Nothing much to see here. Has no one noticed that Larsson has been at Southend lately? Doesn't seem like it was for their manager's role now, knowing what we know.

• @Uncle_T , agree to a point, and you could say the same about about Man City's illegitimate success and before them, Chelsea.

• edited October 2019

@rg9wwfc the thing is, we don't know if the Dutch have a better bid as we've seen neither. But in that one article alone we now have a much better idea of what the Dutch are offering then we know from the last four months of hanging around what the Americans are offering.

Both can talk about sustainability - but the fact is the club is losing lots of money and it's going to take time to get onto a sustainable footing. That article reveals that the Couhigs have invested £600k of their own money on top of paying back the original Americans' £500k. That's great - but for how much longer can they afford to write those cheques before their money runs out? I would suspect a small-city lawyer whose practice spans a mere 12 attorneys won't have as much funding as this Dutch consortium. There is also a significant question of what repayment terms are attached to these loans and in what form do they take? Straight cash injection, debt-for-equity, etc? I want to know what the Couhigs are offering and what the Dutch are.

If you want to be bought by a few months of Deep South folksy charm and the fact that Gareth likes the same music that Pete Couhig does then, well, it's a view. I'd prefer some facts be put on the table myself.

• edited October 2019

@rg9wwfc said:

@aloysius said:
    Well that is interesting. Vote No and get a Netflix documentary, a youth set up overseen by Dennis Bergkamp AND the Trust's initial preferred bidders taking over the club.

I'm afraid it's now incumbent on Mr Couhig to show his hand. Just what is his plan and how much money does he have to back it up? If the answers are disappointing there's a very glamorous option waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces - looks like Mr Stroud's gloom and doom predictions about us finding our level in the national league were just spin. I suspect because the one thing that will almost certainly change if the Dutch come back to the table is that he will no longer be invited to join their board.

Show his hand...?? They've shown it!! You got 11 new signings, a better matchday, held on to the manager of our dreams (for the time being at least) and we're flirting with the top 3 in League 1 and, dare I say it, having a go at getting into the Championship....

Just because some big named ex-pros have fluttered their eye lashes and their ex pro cheque book you're now looking at throwing the Couhigs bid away...? Utter nonsense.....

EVERYTHING (bar an academy, which is no overnight thing and takes more than 4 months set up) that we needed as a club has been provided to us and in a reasonably short amount of time....

Look at how good the netflix documentary has been to Sunderland...and you really think that attendances will go up because Dennis Bergkamp is sat in the director's box..?

The future of this club is driving the ship NOW...we can't keep putting off decisions because someone else now comes along and thinks they have a better bid...

That's one way of looking at it, the other is that they've loaned the club money and opened a beer tent, full stop.

• Also, if Che were alive, he'd be fuming at the Dutch.

And waiting for the Brehme, Matthaus bid.

• You get the feeling that this vote is just going to be the start of things, not the end!

• edited October 2019

@aloysius said:
    That article reveals that the Couhigs have invested £600k of their own money on top of paying back the original Americans' £500k.

That is incorrect. The Couhigs have not paid back Bill & Jim or settled any other debt yet. Rob is on record as saying that he will clear the debts once he has won the vote.

The debt to Bill and Jim has a repayment deadline of the end of this year.

• Aren't we all glad that Bill and Jim pissed off?

• @Malone said:
    You get the feeling that this vote is just going to be the start of things, not the end!

I've heard that somewhere before.
    Remember when the Harman bid was much better than the other colonials bid. Then it wasn't. Then they legged it.
    Three ex-players does not necessarily a success make.
    Also if Rob and Co get the vote and things improve even more... we might look a better option for the three amigos to leave their home country and favourite football club in the future.
    Then again if Rob and Co don't get a Yes...these footballing heroes...also with no link to Wycombe could step in.

• Where's Harman's counter counter-offer when you need it?

• @rg9wwfc said:

@aloysius said:

What have they actually done, besides throw money at the team budget - which in turn has resulted in us getting a good run together which leaves us 2nd in the league? Everything they have done so far has been spending money.

Being in league 1 has added a few hundred to our attendance, and no doubt our performance on the pitch has attracted a few too, but anyone could throw money at a club and buy good players to improve performance. We already had Gareth, he's the one who has brought the players in - he just had the money to raise his aim this time around.
    How is the matchday experience going to improve over the next few weeks, when we start getting more rain, so the music and BBQ and outside drinking takes a hit? Is the Marquee coming back, will it get moved back in to the tent - didn't we have a beer tent before, why did it stop, will that happen again?

The ex-pros could well attract new fans, it could well be the extra attraction that will grow the crowds if we can maintain the on-pitch performance. The business plan they offer is legit too, its the same plan as a few other bids, but with more experience and an example of the success in Ajax to back it up, apparently.

The marketing spiel around us at the moment is pretty good, there is a bit of a buzz around the place at the moment. But we have ultimately spent money to get that. Who is actually responsible for this, is it the people who gave out the cash, or the people who have spent the cash?

• You know what makes successful entertaining telly? On and off field Disaster and people shouting in a dressing room...

• let's be honest, have the Couhigs made a positive difference since they have become involved? I think you would struggle to find a fan that said things have not improved. Actions speak louder than words and they have made positive changes to the matchday experience in a short space of time and I am sure longer term things would only get better. Lets see the bid and not be distracted by this and judge their offer based on facts.

• @bluntphil said:

@aloysius said:
    That article reveals that the Couhigs have invested £600k of their own money on top of paying back the original Americans' £500k.

That is incorrect. The Couhigs have not paid back Bill & Jim or settled any other debt yet. Rob is on record as saying that he will clear the debts once he has won the vote.

The debt to Bill and Jim has a repayment deadline of the end of this year.

Good point, I misread that. So all we know so far is that Rob Couhig has lent the club two lots of £300k on unknown terms.

• Throwing money at players and improving league position is very over-rated in football in my opinion. :smile:

• @HG1 said:
    let's be honest, have the Couhigs made a positive difference since they have become involved? I think you would struggle to find a fan that said things have not improved. Actions speak louder than words and they have made positive changes to the matchday experience in a short space of time and I am sure longer term things would only get better. Lets see the bid and not be distracted by this and judge their offer based on facts.

What happened to those cheerleaders btw?

• Sure it would be a mess in the long run but a Dobbo-Bergkamp youth setup supported by old mates and cast offs from Ajax could make someone a lot of money.

The Couhigs are obviously a lot further in and probably deserve to see it out but still hoping for a lot more info soon and now maybe a little less take it or go straight to park football.

• How much more time and how many more chances do people think we're going to get? The club is likely in very deep shit without investment yet remarkably few people seem that concerned - just my feeling, hopefully I'm wrong. I'm also staggered that anyone can have any faith in the Trust which has quite clearly failed - even if we were able to continue under that model, major reform would be needed. I'll be glad when this is all over.

• Bergkamp is at his beloved home club and does not like travelling much...

• I wish they would hurry up and give legacy members the full details of the bid on the table.

I want to be persuaded by a cracking bid - not frightened into submission by the alternative.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bergkamp is at his beloved home club and does not like travelling much...

He can get the train to us, probably why he was looking at clubs around London and the south East

• Would that story have surfaced without the Arsenal link? I'm not sure. Remember that David Ornstein is an Arsenal correspondent.

• Henrik Larsson's real reason for leaving the superstar consortium was that he still harbours a grudge against the Valley End for signing "You're shit and you know you are" at him during Jason Cousins's testimonial against Celtic.

• @wwfcblue said:
    The Facebook generation will be creaming their pants now and asking for a no vote. No need to see a business plan from such exulted names?

The FB generation are still YES. So. You can stop wetting your self now wwfcBlue

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Feliciana EFL Ltd have loaned Wycombe Wanderers money to date, and not Rob Couhig.

• @Tom said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Feliciana EFL Ltd have loaned Wycombe Wanderers money to date, and not Rob Couhig.

I believe that is Couhig (and unspecified partners)'s vehicle for buying the club, so essentially it is Couhig loaning the money.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    How much more time and how many more chances do people think we're going to get? The club is likely in very deep shit without investment yet remarkably few people seem that concerned - just my feeling, hopefully I'm wrong. I'm also staggered that anyone can have any faith in the Trust which has quite clearly failed - even if we were able to continue under that model, major reform would be needed. I'll be glad when this is all over.

On what basis are you saying that "remarkably few people seem that concerned"?

• According to Companies House, Feliciana EFL Limited has only one shareholder: Rob Couhig.