Skip to content

Barnsley sack manager

Will Barnsley come back for Ainsworth? Relatively easy to turn down Lincoln with us high in League 1 and Lincoln having no better odds than us going up to the Championship. Barnsley may look a more attractive option.

Comments

• Nope. As much as anything, I don't think he'd like their policy of only signing players 26 or younger (correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I believe that's the case).

• Frankly I would have thought Barnsley would have been a more attractive option then with a good chance of early promotion than now with a chance of immediate relegation.

If Sunderland got rid of their manager and came knocking...

• @DevC said:
    Frankly I would have thought Barnsley would have been a more attractive option then with a good chance of early promotion than now with a chance of immediate relegation.

If Sunderland got rid of their manager and came knocking...

Please Ainsworth's agent gives us the position so quickly. Stand down everyone until Sunderland twitch

• Dev literally says the same thing every time a job comes up doesn't he?

Trouble is, one of these times it will actually happen and he'll think he's an expert

• Gareth potentially leaving to every vacancy, and wondering if the Rye is the level of football we can sustain seem to be Dev's MO on almost every thread.

• Gareth is still with us (thank gawd) possibly because we could not afford to sack him after Torquay. It all depends if you want to risk six months.. the sack...and the hunt for another short-term position. I'm not worried yet that Richie's dream for the club will come to pass.

• Cant say that Barnsley's statement would make me think these were people I wanted to work for. https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/october/clubstatement/
    Would a little "thank Daniel and his staff for their hard work and wish them well in the future" be too hard.

• Once he ducked out of that challenge from Joey Barton his days were numbered...

• Barnsley are a very split club at the moment.

The recently departed manager signed 12 players in the summer but only wanted 4 of them apparently. Board very much involved in on the field affairs and regularly selling top player.

Gareth Ainsworth is not going to go there so absolutely no concerns from me.

• Jack Ross has gone from Sunderland as well

• Gaz on his way then Dev?

• That unfortunately would be a very good fit for Gareth.

• Now, will that be good or bad for us playing them next!

Seems odd, they're not doing that badly are they? About 3 points off 2nd?

• I would have thought that Sunderland would go for Stendel

• I didn't say that York.

I did say that while he might well turn down Barnsley if they enquired, it would be very hard for him to turn down a club the size of Sunderland IF they came knocking. No idea if he would be on their list though.

Incidentally while on subject of managers, I see who is rumoured to be getting the Leyton O job. Desperately sad to lose your manager in such tragic circumstances but to then end up with Adams - that really would be cruel.

• How so @mooneyman? I don't see it fitting at all to be honest.

It had been a long time coming @Malone. They are playing dull football with average results for the quality of squad they have. I understand that a majority of the fan base have been disillusioned with it for quite some time, and losing at Lincoln was evidently the final straw.

• I agree Dev, the Orient fans really don't deserve that.

• Sunderland sack Jack Ross as well now.

• @YorkExile said:
    How so @mooneyman? I don't see it fitting at all to be honest.

It had been a long time coming @Malone. They are playing dull football with average results for the quality of squad they have. I understand that a majority of the fan base have been disillusioned with it for quite some time, and losing at Lincoln was evidently the final straw.

Any managers ultimate ambition should be to manage a Premier League team.

Regardless of how well Gareth does, it is unlikely a Premier Team will come calling whilst he is managing a Championship team let alone a League 1 team.

Sunderland have massive support, good stadium, large wage budget and better infrastructure. There is no reason whatsoever why they cannot eventually return to the Premier under a new Manager. A huge salary increase may also bear consideration.

Hopefully from our point of view (excluding our very own tactical mouse) Sunderland don't come calling.

• Odds are pretty much guesses at this stage, but GA is 33/1 for Sunderland - well down the list

• (16/1 for Barnsley)

• Sunderland have made shocking calls for years.
    Let's truly hope they don't go for a smart option. I can't imagine their fans would be satisfied by appointing a league one guy from Wycombe.

• My suspicion is that their problems run a little deeper than is obvious and that they won't come calling anyway. Beware the basket case...

• Reading leaning towards same decision it seems

• I think Gareth will stay. If the vote goes through he's comfortable, if not we all know there will be another couple of jobs along in a minute...
    I cannot see that the Mackems would go for a League One manager...whatever his present hallowed position. Although they do seem to have worked their way through all of the usual suspects over the past new years. Sschteve McLaren anyone? Tony Pulis? Gary Rowett?

• We seem to be almost permanently on tenterhooks! It’s very bad for the nerves, never mind the ticker!

• Reading would worry me a bit more than Barnsley or Sunderland.

Recent Premier league history as well, fairly big ground and set up, and obviously very close to home for our chief.

Hopefully they also follow their tendency to go for fancier names.

• GA’’s has become pretty fancy.

• Reading is by far the biggest concern- in fact the only concern -out of the three for me.

• How do you feel about the Netflix documentary, Gareth?
    I can write the feem tune. Sing the feem tune.