Skip to content

Adebayo Akinfenwa 150 not out

Appearances: 118 (32) Total: 150 - Goals: 49

It’s all been said by many other and countless times by me, but what a true club legend he is.

Absolutely fantastic watching him closing people down when we went down to ten men, to try and get that vital goal back. Cool as you like on the penalty, clearly other players were up for taking it, but the respect they showed him in that situation says everything about the man.

Once again thank you big man.

Comments

• Fully concur Mr Sandwich...

• Was saying yesterday that there's no reason he can't keep playing if he wants to. His game isn't based on pace, so he's not losing anything on that side with age. He's deceptively skillful to those who aren't familiar with him and he isn't going to lose his strength or footballing brain any time soon.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2019

Remembering Bayo took that pen to put Wimbledon 2-0 up in the playoff final, I wondered why he wasn't taking them for us before.

Wonder if JJ will come back to taking them now Bayo's scored 2 and Freeman one, since?

Good to see we're getting plenty of pens, good attacking teams who are in the box a lot tend to get a lot.

• Bayo wasn’t the allocated PK taker for Wimbledon at Wembley, and there was actually quite a bit of uproar that he took it.

• If he grabs the ball, you've got to have a lot of bottle to argue with him!

• edited October 2019

@Malone said:
    Remembering Bayo took that pen to put Wimbledon 2-0 up in the playoff final, I wondered why he wasn't taking them for us before.

Wonder if JJ will come back to taking them now Bayo's scored 2 and Freeman one, since?

Good to see we're getting plenty of pens, good attacking teams who are in the box a lot tend to get a lot.

We and Ipswich have both had four - most in the league - but they've missed two of theirs. 100% with three different takers is good going, especially after how bad some of our pens against Reading were.

• Yeah, might still be in the Carabao and reaping football fortune. Still, roll on Leasing.com and that other cup (and no I don’t mean the B&B).

• He said in the Vere afterwards that Ainsworth gives the captain or the most senior player the choice on the pitch so when JJ is out he decides, gave Freeman the one when he had been playing well but not scoring, took the last two as they were big pressure jobs.

Best one liner was when asked about the league table "marathon not a sprint, but I don't really like either of those", ran to chase down one at the end as he knows he's got 2 weeks off. Won't be used in the tin pot.

Great to see he's still going, I did the whole pr stunt reaction when he joined and apologised to him. The idea he's still going strong years later is brilliant.

• We just have to hope that Allsop isn't captain when we get a penalty!

• Yes Bayo dashing about yesterday was a sight to behold...why can't he do that EVERY Week :smile:

• Completely agree with the above, however now I have seen the highlights not that im complaining :) it looks a soft penalty to me has anyone else seen it again?

• Not even the biggest super positive fan ever would have thought he'd make it to 4 seasons here! That's an amazing spell.
    And what looked a given that he'd make this his last year, maybe isn't such a given now!

• @Wycome87 said:
    Completely agree with the above, however now I have seen the highlights not that im complaining :) it looks a soft penalty to me has anyone else seen it again?

It's soft as in the Posh player should not have touched the little fella in the box. I've seen them given. Saturday for example.

• Rewatching the Kashket pen decision, the ref could quite easily have bottled it though!
    Fair play for making such a big call that late on!

• @Malone said:

Yes...I thought he was quite poor for most of the game but he got that one right :wink::wink:

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

Yes...I thought he was quite poor for most of the game but he got that one right :wink::wink:

Must be a nightmare to play against someone as small and quick as Kashket. You know any touch will be enough to floor him.

Reminds me a little of Jonny Dixon v Cheltenham years back. The defender, one of the Duff brothers was watching a ball clearly going out of play, and totally unnecessarily gave JD a little shoulder barge to "make sure".

Except it floored him, and gave a needless pen away.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

About 3rd time lucky, unfortunately highlights I've seen so far don't show the other one's I thought we should have got earlier.

• I thought it was telling that Kashket didn't actually appear to immediately appeal for anything.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

About 3rd time lucky, unfortunately highlights I've seen so far don't show the other one's I thought we should have got earlier.

Someone on fb had a clip of a defender with a bit of a high boot clearing one ball as Bayo went to head it.

But you never see those given as pens, defenders seemingly have special dispensation to have their feet as high as possible in the box.
    The classic "foul anywhere else on the pitch" annoyance

• I thought an earlier penalty shout plus sending off of Thompson may have influenced that late penalty call. It was one of those where you sometimes get them as there is contact but refs also wave them away at others. I think he felt he "owed us one"

• Kashket actually appears to try to scramble to his feet to carry on playing. Can almost understand the haranguing of the red ferret.

• I think that should probably be ‘referee’.

• That actually made me laugh out loud @micra. I want to see a head to head between the red ferret and the tactical mouse. Instead of the half time penalties, maybe?

• I’m quite animalated myself.

• Animated.

• No wonder your post count is higher than anyone @micra

• Enjoyed these last few posts

• I try to be pithy @Malone . (Had to correct that one too.)

• As my TV is connected to the broadband hub I am wondering if there is any way I can connect my iPhone wirelessly to it. Does that require the TV to be Bluetooth compatible (or something )? I only use broadband for Catchup.

I’ll probably wind up watching on my ancient PC. Sitting a few feet from it is almost as good and ensures no fisticuffs with mrs micra although I have had a measure of success in luring her into watching the odd twenty minutes of a few games. Injuries requiring lengthy treatment, preferably with several playbacks of the incident causing them, seem to “float her boat”.