Skip to content

Player of the season so far

edited October 2019 in Football

Discuss. It's a toss-up between JJ and Grimmer for me.

Comments

• I'd say Stewart is a contender. But probably JJ pips it.

• edited October 2019

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'd say Stewart is a contender. But probably JJ pips it.

Yeah, good shout. Tbh, you could probably make a case for five or six.

• Freeman has done very well so far

• Hard to say this early but Stewart is solid and bayo is still leading from the front...

• Good to have plenty of contenders but Freeman just edging out JJ for me

• It's impossible to say yet, still a long way to go. I vote . . . . drum roll . . . the entire squad!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2019

It's not a vote, but we can absolutely have the discussion! Wycombe finishing in the top six is a lot more likely than Palace finishing in the top four...

• @fame_46 - The title of this thread is "player of the season so far". I don't understand why you consider this can't be discussed.

• edited October 2019

@fame_46 said:
    @chairboyscentral. Most of your content posted is quite good, personally I feel your too premature with this thread.

Rather than highlight half a dozen players for praise I feel the whole squad is contributing. Better to focus on that and leave this discussion for April/May.

Not premature at all - just over a quarter of the way into the season seems a good time to gauge opinion. The whole squad is contributing, but there are always standouts, even if we've probably had five or six.

• This might be controversial, but what about Darius Charles?

• @Jonny_King said:
    This might be controversial, but what about Darius Charles?

Another great shout. Given what he's been through, he's been little short of a revelation.

• edited October 2019

@fame_46 said:
    @chairboyscentral. It’s still irrelevant to discuss player of the season candidates after a quarter of the season.

It’s a bit like saying I’m going to have a first class degree at the end of year 1. I remember thinking Paul Hayes was going to be pivotal to us a couple of years back and he was finished as a Wycombe player after a quarter of that season.

This isn't a discussion about player of the season candidates; it's a discussion about player/s of the season so far. I'm not sure it's much different to debating a man of the match - always an interesting talking point even if it might not been much in the longer run (although you can get a pretty good idea of who your big hitters are gonna be at this stage).

• Christ, these people must be a barrel of laughs to go out for an evening with.

It's a good question, precisely the sort of thing you'd discuss with your mates over a pre or post match pint

• @eric_plant said:
    Christ, these people must be a barrel of laughs to go out for an evening with.

It's a good question, precisely the sort of thing you'd discuss with your mates over a pre or post match pint

Exactly, pub conversation! Not that deep.

• @fame_46 said:
    Still smarting from yesterday @eric_plant

You what?

• It's a fans forum not an academic study group.

JJ for me, but plenty of contenders -the whole back 4 for starters.

• edited October 2019

Interesting - but fair enough - that so many people are going for defenders when we've got one of the best attacks in the division. Perhaps there have been more notable individual performances at the back?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Interesting - but fair enough - that so many people are going for defenders when we've got one of the best attacks in the division. Perhaps there have been more notable individual performances at the back?

They've just all played more, the work load has been shared around much more up top so it's hard to single anyone out when we don't even know who might not make the bench let alone start if they're all fit.

• I’ve not really seen enough of us yet this season to pick so I’m going to vote for @chairboyscentral

Or Nick Freeman.

• JGS hasn’t put a foot wrong so far (in fact he hasn’t put a foot anywhere yet) but, seriously, as someone who has championed the cause of Nick Freeman for a couple of seasons, I agree with @eric_plant and @RogertheBandito. His skill on the ball, his work-rate (much improved since becoming a regular starter) , his composure and consistency and, since playing more centrally, his link-up play all combine for me to make him a great one to watch.

But there are so many contenders. Having a mate (a disenchanted AFC fan) who queried what we were doing keeping Bayo on last summer and wondered why on earth we signed Darius Charles, makes the incredible achievements of those two all the more enjoyable. Can’t beat a bit of Schadenfreude !

I could make a case for “one of the best players so far” for most of the others. We are truly blessed.

• He would not be top, but Ryan Allsop deserves a mention.

• Indeed @Shev .

• Anthony Stewart by a short head.

• +1 for Darius Charles. The fact he is even playing 90 minutes pretty much every week is a revelation in itself, but at the same time he's been magnificent.