Skip to content

Are we second on merit?

edited October 2019 in Football

Um, yep! Some really interesting stuff here:

Comments

• No, we are second on points, are there better sides than us lower, possibly, but we have the results and the points that go with them.

• edited October 2019

Yes, we're second on points, but those charts show just how well we're doing relative to other teams regardless of position. At this stage of the season, the league table still isn't necessarily the best indicator of how well a team is doing.

• You become top by getting most points, and you get those by outscoring whoever you play each week (or at least matching). If you have most points then you are top on merit as you must have more points than the other teams. It is the only measure that counts in football.

• edited October 2019

Perhaps it's the only measure that counts come May, but it isn't yet. Anyway, the point I'm making is that we're not just there through good fortune - and anyone who doubts our staying power (I still have my reservations, although they're disappearing) should have a look at that data, and particularly the data from yesterday. We're playing an incredibly effective brand of football.

• We've mostly played the weaker teams so far, with Fleetwood away the early exception.
    However Portsmouth(good team false early position) and Peterboro have been good recent tests.

Let's see how we get on v Ipswich, Sunderland, Coventry and Doncaster. Those will give us a great idea if we can stick around up there.

• Someone put out a 'strength of schedule' table and I think Coventry and possibly Blackpool had enjoyed 'easier' starts too. It's a worthwhile point, but we're also winning games which might have got away from us last season - and the performances against Fleetwood and Peterborough have been impressive.

• @chairboyscentral I get it mate. It's just very hard for some of us to grasp how good we really are. I thought yesterday's game was going to be our reality check, but yet again, the squad & management proved otherwise. Maybe it's time "We believed "?

• edited October 2019

It's easy to say now, but I wasn't really that worried when we were 2-0 down yesterday - although my hope was on the assumption that Gaz would change something tactically, which he did and we should be used to by now!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It's easy to say now, but I wasn't really that worried when we were 2-0 down yesterday - although my hope was on the assumption that Gaz would change something tactically, which he did and we should be used to by now!

But Richie boy has stuck his head over the shop counter & said that GA is tactically inept at best and should be sacked. As such, how could you possibly have had any optimism after 45 minutes yesterday?

I've said it elsewhere but fully agree I thought we were still In it even at 2-0. I wavered a bit at 2-3 joked about going to the corner for the equaliser? But we have a great team and spirit and whatever the result it was a good game.

• The halftime chat yesterday was all about how we knew with this side that we weren't out of it by any means.

How lucky we are to support such a team. They are an absolute joy and I thank each and every one of them for what they are giving us

• Yes he was inept, the formation he started with never worked and some tactical things were still a problem but the players seem to solve that themselves !!!

Man marking these days is also garbage, just let the nearest player pick him up and just play normally.

Aarons will also be a massive threat in this league once match fit.

@EwanHoosaami said:

@chairboyscentral said:

But Richie boy has stuck his head over the shop counter & said that GA is tactically inept at best and should be sacked. As such, how could you possibly have had any optimism after 45 minutes yesterday?

• So, manager starts with a game plan, which doesn't work. Changes the game plan, which works, even finding an equaliser with 1 less man and in your eyes, he is tactically inept? YCMIU!

• @rmjlondon said:

Yes he was inept, the formation he started with never worked and some tactical things were still a problem but the players seem to solve that themselves !!!

Man marking these days is also garbage, just let the nearest player pick him up and just play normally.

Aarons will also be a massive threat in this league once match fit.

@EwanHoosaami said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Man marking doesn't work.. But Maddison was hauled off early as Curtis did such a good job on him.

• No he was hauled off and replaced by a holding midfielder and was also on a yellow and was diving about ... dont talk utter bollocks to me who actually knows the game and also gareth said the same !!!

I was at a family function yesterday watching the scores come in with an Ipswich fan. At half time I was still perfectly confident that we weren’t going to lose, and even at 3-2 down with a man off and 90 minutes on the clock I said “just wait, it’s not over yet.”

• @rmjlondon said:
    dont talk utter bollocks to me who actually knows the game and also gareth said the same !!!

Gareth said you know the game?

• @rmjlondon said:
    No he was hauled off and replaced by a holding midfielder and was also on a yellow and was diving about ... dont talk utter bollocks to me who actually knows the game and also gareth said the same !!!

I'll show you my football credentials if you show yours? What did GA say to you in the shop then?

• @rmjlondon said:
    ... dont talk utter bollocks to me who actually knows the game

This could be Richie’s funniest comment ever. A pitch perfect parody of a bloviating, know-nothing football “fan”. Bravo tactical mouse, bravo.

• Your a tactical cunt !!!

• I see you've been reading Football For Dummies again @rmjlondon!

• The truth is that GA, in his post-match interview, singled out Curtis Thompson for the terrific “job” he did on Marcus Maddison (Danny Hilton’s understudy?). He followed him for miles yesterday and if that isn’t man-marking I’m a tactical mouse .

• True @micra and he also added that Maddison was on a yellow and perhaps he should have considered the yellow Curtis was on too. IMO, GA is the first to say that he's still learning and I guess good managers never stop learning!

• Id like to see us sign Danny Hylton in January to make sure we can get the goals to take us into the playoffs

• edited October 2019

Racist Danny Hylton would not pass Gareth's character test.

• @rmjlondon said:

Yes he was inept, the formation he started with never worked and some tactical things were still a problem but the players seem to solve that themselves !!!

Inept is a very strong term for a manager who over the last 7 years has got far much more right than wrong.

Naive at times(even GA has said that) however it takes a strong character to know things need changing on the during a game and then does so.
    Its such a refreshing change to see (at any level) a manager know when his ideas aren't working and prepared to change them. Be that after 5 minutes or 45 minutes.

Whilst I don't know this as fact I suspect Wycombe under GA have gained more points than any other team in the country from 'a losing position'
    Our team under GA does just not know when its beaten.
    I'm not sure there is any other manager that has managed to instil this into their tema to the level GA has.

At this time there is not a single manager outside of the Premier League (and about 75% of those managing there as well) I would rather have managing our club.

• He tried to sign him before !!!

@chairboyscentral said:
    Racist Danny Hylton would not pass Gareth's character test.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Id like to see us sign Danny Hylton in January to make sure we can get the goals to take us into the playoffs

Fuck off eh?

• God, I wish now I hadn’t mentioned DDH - completely forgot one of his keenest Lu’on loving fans was lurking but I’ve washed my mouth out now so all should be well.