Skip to content

"A Posh Test" - Crowd Speculations and Predictions - P'Boro (H) -5 th Oct 2019 - Match 12

2»

Comments

• 5786 with 783 away

• We are away on a narrowboat in South Wales at the moment. The holiday was timed partly to be back for the visit to Portman Road.9

I will update the spreadsheet later when the laptop can go online. Tree blocking canal altered last night's plans. Tree gets chopped todsy

Anyone who counted me as being present for a Sat game and wants to subtract one from their prediction is allowed until 14.00.

• 5123 with 589 posh

• 5785 inc. 903 poshos

• 5834 with 777 away

• Here is a summary of the predictions:

Average for Total Crowd: 5942
    Average for Away Crowd 861

Haven't seen the actual crowd yet.

• Crowd given as 5083 with 697 away

• Considering that they have probably the best strike force in the division & it is a fairly localish distance I was a tad underwhelmed by their attendance.

• Disappointed that we could only muster 4386 home fans too. What's it going to take to get 5000+ Wycombe fans on a regular basis?
    Entertaining football, lots of goals, unbeaten at home in the league, not too cold/wet/windy, chairboys village and yet still a poor turnout supporting Wycombe.

• The one thing I would say is that probably 4300 of us were at the ground by 2 o’clock. I was sat at the top of the hill for a while looking down and thought it was going to be a huge crowd as the car park on the hill was pretty full. But after that just seemed a trickle of fans turning up

• At least if the majority are there by 2, hopefully they are pouring funds through the tills. I know now that we have the village as a go to place we have got into the habit of turning up an hour earlier and spending more than we used to.

• Almost 1200 home fans fewer than for the Portsmouth game. A bit strange. Perhaps the fact that the Pompey game wasn't such a great spectacle put some people off.

• Very strange how low the crowd was, difficult to know what more we can do! I'm sure it will be packed against Sunderland, but it's trying to entice those fans back week in week out. It's not as if it's not entertaining!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Very strange how low the crowd was, difficult to know what more we can do! I'm sure it will be packed against Sunderland, but it's trying to entice those fans back week in week out. It's not as if it's not entertaining!

It may be precisely because we have Sunderland in a fortnight that we had fewer today. The casual supporter that we want to entice back, is by definition, one who doesn’t come every week and likely cherry picks the “big” games. Whilst the cognoscenti know Posh would be a good side to watch, Mr Watches the Premier League on a Sunday with his kids may not. But he knows Sunderland are a big club so saves up for that. That’s what worries me most about the planned takeover; will the math only work if we have to have 8000 home supporters each week? I don’t believe we’ll sell 8000 season tickets meaning we’d need a significantly more enthusiastic causal following. I guess Rob and team have to create such a match day experience that turns “Oh well couldn’t get Sunderland tickets, never mind, we’ll go see a movie” into “Kids we can’t afford to go every game, we’ll try for Sunderland but if it’s sold out we’ll definitely go to another and buy Dr Strange IV as soon as it’s on Sky Store”.

• I am back in the land of reliable internet, so apologies for the late arrival of the scores on the doors for the attendance at the Peterborough game.

As mentioned above most of us thought the game would appeal more than it did, although I am sure that, as has been true all season, almost every Wycombe home fan will have left the game glad that they had been there. The atmosphere at the game appeared not to suffer.

Congratulations go to @wwfcblue who was just 40 out with his prediction of 5123. Excellent predicting again. Nobody else was within 100.

As a matter of interest we collectively overestimated the home support by 695, which was a 16% overestimate; we collectively overestimated the away support by 164, which in percentage terms was 24%.

I am not sure what that says about the disappointing crowd. My own view is that we on the Gasroom are pathfinders and leaders. We are positive, we already know that the start of this season has been something quite special, and that it stands a reasonable chance of continuing.
    But this is not yet the general view. We are converting the first time attendee into an occasional visitor, the occasional visitor into a regular supporter and the regular supporter into a season ticket holder, the figures show this. However, in the absence of defeating a club from Manchester in the FA Cup, won't be an instantaneous process.
    I don't doubt that as we continue on our current trajectory it will happen - our odds on reaching the playoffs shorten week by week, but they are still way out of kilter with the clubs around us in the table. As soon as most people believe that we are worth watching: for our last minute dramas, our team spirit, our determination and moments of brilliance and also worth watching in the gambler's sense of likelihood of success, then our crowds will match what the Gasroom knows or expects they should be.

Up the Blues.