Skip to content

Comments

• TomTom
    edited October 2019

Its annoying they have moved this one. How much money do we/Mr Couhig get for it?

edit: £10k it seems, with Tranmere getting £30k

• Bit awkward for people who have already booked, good old EFL putting fans at bottom of list as always.

• Shit for those going, but I guess it's better for our sake that it's away rather than home.

• edited October 2019

Wouldn't this be ideal for a London meet up?

• Feel for anyone who booked travel and accommodation, as these moves are still so rare for us.
    But on the other hand, pleased it's another game to be able to watch us live without a long trip!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Wouldn't this be ideal for a London meet up?

Nope, I'll be on the Wirral

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 said:
    Could be a regular occurrence in the championship being televised live on sky ?

In the Champions League I believe all our games will be televised.

• Seems an odd choice. I was hoping they'd televise the rearranged Ipswich match.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Seems an odd choice. I was hoping they'd televise the rearranged Ipswich match.

That'll be on ifollow hopefully, so it's an extra, is the way to look at it?

• I'd already booked travel and accommodation. Think I'll be on my way home as the game is being played.

Fuck off

• I'll be working, so won't be able to go. Hopefully, be back in time to fire up my Android app (LiveNetTV) and watch it on there.

Zero consideration by Sky for the fans.

• Also an international weekend, just to add to the mix. Don't know whether they have any likely call-ups?

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Also an international weekend, just to add to the mix. Don't know whether they have any likely call-ups?

I expect that's precisely why Ipswich / Sunderland haven't been picked

• Whilst having sympathy for anyone inconvenienced by this game being televised, I need to put some balance to the complaints.
    The clubs agreed to the TV deal negotiated with Sky by the EFL and every club receives considerable income from the deal whether or not any of their games are televised live. That income helps to keep many clubs in business.
    It’s unfair to blame the EFL or Sky for moving games, they are simply fulfilling the terms of the contract agreed by the clubs. As a footnote, it’s also £10k in the WWFC bank account that we wouldn’t have got otherwise.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Whilst having sympathy for anyone inconvenienced by this game being televised, I need to put some balance to the complaints.
    The clubs agreed to the TV deal negotiated with Sky by the EFL and every club receives considerable income from the deal whether or not any of their games are televised live. That income helps to keep many clubs in business.
    It’s unfair to blame the EFL or Sky for moving games, they are simply fulfilling the terms of the contract agreed by the clubs. As a footnote, it’s also £10k in the WWFC bank account that we wouldn’t have got otherwise.

I'd argue the games should be picked at the start of the season?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Whilst having sympathy for anyone inconvenienced by this game being televised, I need to put some balance to the complaints.

To be fair, I can think of worse places to be for a Saturday with nothing to do than Liverpool!

• But that isn’t feasible as Sky try to pick games that have some significance according to the league table.

• It's clearly unfair to blame any of the people who are responsible?? Of course Sky are to blame. The EFL retain little or no control now. Where is the fund subsidising coach travel for stupid o'clock starts. Or any initiative at all from the EFL that reflects that tens of thousands of people spend untold time and money traveling up and down the country supporting their teams and that this is a good thing and that they shouldn't be ripped off and messed about. Anyone remember being able to see a scoreboard at an away venue recently? Don't even get a roof at Gillingham. Late changes for TV just add to the cost and difficulty of travel.

• Strongestteam, what is it that you don’t understand about the TV contract?
    The clubs, including WWFC, agreed to a deal that-in return for a sizeable sum of money-allowed Sky to request certain fixtures being moved for live coverage.
    If you don’t agree with this arrangement then you should blame the clubs for agreeing to that contract in the first place. Sky are simply enforcing the terms of a contract for which they have paid a lot of money.
    For fans of a club like ours it’s an inconvenience that happens very rarely and for which the club receives financial compensation.

• I'm sure club's such as Wycombe specifically requested last minute changes and long trips at inconvenient times rather than just voting for the deal they were given and a few quid as opposed to none.

• The Tranmere game is six weeks away so hardly a last minute change.
    The long trip has to be made irrespective of the day the game is played and it’s quite possible that the manager, players and a number of fans will find the new time less inconvenient than the original.
    As for your reference to ‘a few quid’, I suggest you ask the Trust board whether they regard the TV money as so insignificant that it’s not worth having the occasional game moved by 24 hours.

• We get it Alan, we do

But midday kick offs are terrible. Anyone who goes to football knows that. We'll all get over it I'm sure

• You get it Eric but it appears that at least one other poster doesn’t. Incidentally, I agree with you about these early kick offs, they so often seem to start very sluggishly but I’m sure that GA will have our boys fired up.

• ... and a number of fans will find the new time less inconvenient than the original.

Perhaps so for "a number of fans". However for the vast majority of the loyal travelling faithful your remark is crass. For the original Saturday 3pm ko I can set off some time around 8am to get to Tranmere in reasonable time. No problem. Sunday 12noon ko will mean leaving home at around 5am (requiring getting my arse out of bed not long after 4am), as I am stupid enough to live on the wrong side of Wycombe for trips to the north west. For me, and many others, "less inconvenient" doesn't quite catch the mood.

• @StrongestTeam - I suggest you give up arguing with Mr (I am always right") Parry!

• A few weeks ago some posters on here were complaining that it’s been too long since we had a game televised by Sky. Now other posters are complaining that Sky have chosen to televise one of our games.

• With respect, you are missing the point.

• Let’s look at this logically. The only way situations like this can be avoided is if clubs refused to agree to Sky changing k.o. dates and times. If that happened, the amount Sky would be willing to pay for the TV contract would inevitably be greatly reduced and they might cease televising FL games altogether.
    That would cause major financial problems for every club in the EFL. Isn’t a disruption once every couple of years (in our case) a price worth paying for the amount of revenue it provides?
    I do sympathise with those who’ll be inconvenienced by this switch, but let’s not forget that the majority of our regular supporters don’t travel to distant away games and I’m sure they’ll be pleased that this is a game they’ll now be able to watch.

• Alan is absolutely right - it's both a necessary evil and a price worth paying.

However, given there's a wealthy benefactor in town who's trying to generate enough goodwill among fans to be given the right to take over the club, it seems an easy win if he were to compensate out of his own pocket anyone who's already purchased travel / accommodation that can't be refunded. It's not as if there won't be a clear paper trail in place for anyone needing to claim nor will it break the bank - we're probably talking 50 or so people max.