Skip to content

Ipswich game in doubt

Comments

• MK Dons vs Norwich Under-21s at Wembley. Magic of the cup and all that.

• There’s a heck of a lot of loot in between.

• @eric_plant said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    The EFL trophy games could all be done behind closed doors one morning.

Bolton have postponed a game, that struck me as a bit odd with all they've had going on. Someone needs to look at the rules again.

What they ought to do is just do a draw for the final at the start of each season. 2 lucky teams get to play at Wembley

Or the Prem could properly fund youth football if they want to nick all its prospects on the cheap

• edited October 2019

There's rumours of a third tier "Europa conference" being created, and the English pyramid gets 1 place. Get rid of the B teams and send the winners of the Jpt to Europe, I for one would go to most of the games if we had a chance of getting to follow us abroad!

Would generate far more interest and benefit the club's far more than giving it to another prem team - they treat the Europa league with disdain already, can only imagine how they'd view a tournament which is below that

• It would bankrupt us.

• edited October 2019

Do what @Username ?

Image how few supporters we'd get for an away game abroad!

You're probably thinking of some glamour trip to Paris or Barcelona for some lower league outfit there.
    In reality it'd be against some Macedonian, or Russian mob in winter.

• Damn, just noticed the rearranged Ipswich game is the night I go to see Fontaines DC. I'll just have to make the trip to Portman Road next season in the Championship.

• @drcongo said:
    It would bankrupt us.

I'm assuming the prize money even for the first round would more than cover costs.

Crowds might not be massive, but would make some great away days!

• I’d be there too @Username

• @Username said:

@drcongo said:
    It would bankrupt us.

I'm assuming the prize money even for the first round would more than cover costs.

Uefa cup runs now cost the teams money up until about the semi finals as well as ruining the club's domestic seasons, @Malone is right , a two day treck to deepest Kazakhstan on a Tuesday night is one even those who hang about outside the entrances to away games for a glimpse of our heroes arrival each week might find difficult, with zero likely TV money this isn't going to work and with agro difficult to police the Anglo Italian was shelved for less.
    i'm guessing the plan is a fairly psynical competition where emerging large TV markets could be persuaded that they are getting some level of success.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@drcongo said:
    It would bankrupt us.

Uefa cup runs now cost the teams money up until about the semi finals as well as ruining the club's domestic seasons, @Malone is right , a two day treck to deepest Kazakhstan on a Tuesday night is one even those who hang about outside the entrances to away games for a glimpse of our heroes arrival each week might find difficult, with zero likely TV money this isn't going to work and with agro difficult to police the Anglo Italian was shelved for less.
    i'm guessing the plan is a fairly psynical competition where emerging large TV markets could be persuaded that they are getting some level of success.

Teams get €2.9m just for playing in the group (according to Google), and another 500k/ win and. 200k/ draw. I struggle to believe it costs more than that to play 3 away games no matter where they are.

For every kazakh away game there would be 5/6 in closer lesser nations that could be a great away day. Maybe playing in that would exempt you from playing the Jpt the next year to prevent fixture pile ups.

Was just an idea, can't be any worse than giving it to the 8th place PL team to play their Youth team in.

• @Username said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@drcongo said:
    It would bankrupt us.

Teams get €2.9m just for playing in the group (according to Google), and another 500k/ win and. 200k/ draw. I struggle to believe it costs more than that to play 3 away games no matter where they are.

For every kazakh away game there would be 5/6 in closer lesser nations that could be a great away day. Maybe playing in that would exempt you from playing the Jpt the next year to prevent fixture pile ups.

Was just an idea, can't be any worse than giving it to the 8th place PL team to play their Youth team in.

You just have to look at how many fans we used to take to aways in the JPT/Checkawotsit, when we drew the likes of Torquay and suchlike.

Now throw in another few 1,000 miles and much higher price to get there...

• Right, Torquay and Northampton who we play every few weeks anyway. An away game in Almaty or Copenhagen would be a different matter entirely.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@drcongo said:
    It would bankrupt us.

You just have to look at how many fans we used to take to aways in the JPT/Checkawotsit, when we drew the likes of Torquay and suchlike.

Now throw in another few 1,000 miles and much higher price to get there...

I'm not saying we'd take huge numbers, but it would be a great experience for those who could go. Following Wycombe around Europe would be a dream for a few of us, and the big countries all have spots in it too - yes there might be a game in Macedonia we take 20 fans to, but if we drew a schalke or a st etienne type team that would be a potential all time highlight following Wycombe for me.

• I disagree @Malone. We might win the Checkatrade, say, once in 20 years. If we then went onto to qualify to play in Europe the following season I suspect the novelty alone would see healthy home crowds, and hundreds travelling away. Potentially even more for games in NW Europe.

Of course, UEFA/TV companies would never allow the English place to be used in this way, but I think it's a neat idea.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I disagree @Malone. We might win the Checkatrade, say, once in 20 years. If we then went onto to qualify to play in Europe the following season I suspect the novelty alone would see healthy home crowds, and hundreds travelling away. Potentially even more for games in NW Europe.

Of course, UEFA/TV companies would never allow the English place to be used in this way, but I think it's a neat idea.

Exactly this.

I believe that officially it's entirely down to the FA how the European competition spots are given out between leagues / cups, but I'm sure there would be pressure to not "disrespect" the competition - even if teams from league 1 are better supported / funded than plenty of minor European teams and would take the competition more seriously than prem sides dumped in it.

• Don't get me wrong, I'd have a piece of some tasty euro action!

Presuming the coach was running.
    I can almost taste that 37 hour drive to Russia now. Glorious scenes.

• Nice to see we go from a League One game being cancelled to the number of fans we would take and the financial benefits of our Europe Cup run. :wink:

• There’s so many exciting things that could be done instead of the checkatrade, but instead the EFL have managed to plump for the most boring, disenchanting option of the lot.

A European cup, of sorts or a British cup would be great if done sensibly.

My favourite idea though is just to scrap it completely, and then make the League Cup for Championship, L1 and L2 teams (as it rightfully should be as the Prem has broken away from the EFL.)

It would breath new life into the league cup - championship teams would have a great chance for genuine silverware, and even league one teams would fancy themselves in with a good cha de.

Premier league teams could stop whinging about fixture congestion, and we’d probably have the draw at sensible times in sensible places rather than in Asia!

• I fully agree with that @OxfordBlue.

• Agree with most of that except the last bit about draws. Non-FA Cup draws are much better in weird and wonderful places like the bat cave or Trump Tower...

• I doubt if Rochdale (to name only one club) would agree with this idea having just enjoyed a big pay day and wonderful memories from their trip to Old Trafford.
    Remember our great run in the League Cup with wins at PL clubs Fulham and Charlton and a semi final against Chelsea? Even those who advocate supporter ownership agree that ‘football fortune’ in the form of ties like these are one of the very few ways of boosting revenue.

• The league cup without Premier league teams is just a total non starter.
    Getting a big team is probably the only thing going for it!

As seen by the dire turn out when we get a championship team at home each season.

The lower league cup does pose a big problem about its use. At least the higher prize money gives it a point. Shame that was a clear bribe to allow the U21 teams in.

Still not entirely sure how much use a few games against lower league teams does the premier league youngsters.
    Proper loans, by all means, but a few games against rotated lower league teams? Bizarre concept.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I doubt if Rochdale (to name only one club) would agree with this idea having just enjoyed a big pay day and wonderful memories from their trip to Old Trafford.
    Remember our great run in the League Cup with wins at PL clubs Fulham and Charlton and a semi final against Chelsea? Even those who advocate supporter ownership agree that ‘football fortune’ in the form of ties like these are one of the very few ways of boosting revenue.

Quite right, like when we got all that extra revenue from getting to the FA Cup semi finals which didn't really fit the "we need outside investment" narrative at the time so we quickly had to spend it all on new carpets and stuff (yes, also Darren Currie and Stuart Roberts, I know)

• The Irn-Bru cup involves clubs from the conference, Northern Ireland and some lower league Scottish clubs. That sort of thing would be sensational.

• It's actually called the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup this season because of course it is.

• @floyd said:
    It's actually called the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup this season because of course it is.

They had me at Tunocks...

• Tunnocks do a Caramel Wafer Cup? that's amazing.

That's how Uefa seem to pronounce Uefa btw going by some of the recent draws.

• The real reason why Ipswich called off their match against us next week: https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2019/october/surgery-for-norwood/

International call-ups were just used as an excuse, IMO.