Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @Wendoverman Where were you sitting at that time? Couldn't have been the centre of the Frank Adams.

• nah...far end of the Beechdean. Perhaps the depressing drone was so loud from the very beginning I never heard them specifically targetting Mr Morgan....

• Ah, that explains it then!
    The Beechdean ?

• I never heard Morgan getting abuse either, except when he stayed in offside positions because he was too busy sulking, leading to us giving away possession.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Ah, that explains it then!
    The Beechdean ?

Hey...I may have moved ends but they are still my people. :smile:
    Not sure what you mean? Are you suggesting they haven't the strength to even boo with any enthusiasm?

• I do remember Morgan carrying on when they'd put the ball out for an injured player once, to much ire from the opposition.

Gaz dressed it up as him being "In his own world", rather than it being cynical arseholery.

• @Wendoverman To be honest, I only go over there for friendlies or Tinpot Trophy games, and they're no yardstick of the liveliness or otherwise of the crowd, but I suppose the Beechdean has got this - shall we say - reputation.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @Wendoverman To be honest, I only go over there for friendlies or Tinpot Trophy games, and they're no yardstick of the liveliness or otherwise of the crowd, but I suppose the Beechdean has got this - shall we say - reputation.

crisp eating?

• edited October 2019

As for Dean Morgan I also thought he was the best player we had at the time...which made his seeming (to me) lack of interest on the pitch so frustrating. On a more amusing note I see wikipedia describe Junior Morias as 'a forward with an explosive shot.'

• @Wendoverman said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    @Wendoverman To be honest, I only go over there for friendlies or Tinpot Trophy games, and they're no yardstick of the liveliness or otherwise of the crowd, but I suppose the Beechdean has got this - shall we say - reputation.

crisp eating?

Of course - a few hundred doing that would easily drown out the drones ?

• .> @NewburyWanderer said:

Gallows humour rather than moaning tends to be the order of the day in the Beachdean. Definitely notice more moaning when we have Frank Adams stand people over during cup games.

My main memories of Morgan are him standing in acres of space, often offside, waving his arms about by way of resignation or admonishment whenever things didn't go his way. Talented player but his attitude did seem less than positive.

• If that's your main memory then you really can't have been concentrating very hard

• I did enjoy him scoring at Plymouth and lauding it to their manager.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    My main memories of Morgan are him standing in acres of space, often offside, waving his arms about by way of resignation or admonishment whenever things didn't go his way. Talented player but his attitude did seem less than positive.

That's actually my main memory of him too as it happened so often. You'd get ten of those to every one good thing.

• McCarthy playing second fiddle to romeo at the den..... wonder if he's up for a 3rd stint at Adam's park in January.......

• Highly unlikely @bigred87. But may I add my voice to those who’ve already said how pleased they are that you’ve come through some difficult times. Long may it continue.

• Dave Winfield signs for Chelmsford City. That guy had bags of potential.

• @Gary said:
    Dave Winfield signs for Chelmsford City. That guy had bags of potential.

Did he? Always seemed a fairly agricultural basement level stopper to me?

• @Malone said:

@Gary said:

Ironic post from Gary me thinks Malone.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:

@Gary said:

Haha, clearly missed by me if meant in that way! Never sure on here!

• Was pretty solid in League 2 promotion season, 2010-11, but badly lacking at the higher level the following year. I remember a few games, Brentford away I think, and Fleetwood away in the Cup, when he was very poor.

• Ball in the air - terrific. Also excellent to have in a brawl. Who can forget him slamming that guy to the floor that time.

Other situations, not quite so tasty.

• I remember James Constable whining on Radio Oxford after a match there, at the rough treatment he had received from the Wycombe defenders, i.e. Winfield who had basically beaten him up all game. I liked Dave, when he left it was seen as a big loss by most.

• He posted a picture online of the black eye Winfield had generously given him. Constable always seemed to fancy himself as the PNL's attacking enforcer, but Big Dave put him firmly in his place that game.

• Just watched the Quest highlights of Lu’on v Millwall. Great assist from Luke Bolton for Lu’on equaliser but felt sorry for him as he ran towards the goalscorer to congratulate him and the latter ran straight past him to celebrate with the fans behind the goal.

• @Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:

@Gary said:

Haha, clearly missed by me if meant in that way! Never sure on here!

@perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:

@Gary said:

I do wonder if he regrets the number of times he rejected a contract. He always seemed to end up in the division below when things didn’t work out at his new club. I’ve lost count how many ‘Waddock players’ we had - he was one of those wasn’t he? Followed from Aldershot if I recall?

• I’ve just reminded myself of Luke Oliver! Look at how we are now less than a decade later.

• edited October 2019

@Gary said:
    I’ve just reminded myself of Luke Oliver! Look at how we are now less than a decade later.

The most surreal moment was when we paired up Oliver, (who was so poor we'd released him into non league, before signing him back later on!) with Duberry - exciting big name ex Premier league signing...

and Oliver was the better of the two!

• What was the game - away from home, where we brought Oliver on as a sub upfront. Easy to forget how bad we have been in the not so distant past.

• Reminder that shortly after being released by us Luke Oliver signed for Branford, playing 100 league games and was named Player of the Year, receiving 6 (!) awards including Player's Player of the Year