Skip to content

Ringing The Blues

Comments

• Nice to hear Gareth sounding so upbeat and positive, and a good bumper episode this week almost makes up for you having a holiday.

• Another great episode Phil.

I also enjoyed the commentary on the weekend as I had to be in Manchester on family business. Really thought Paul Smyth grew into it as the game went on.

• Agreed, a thoroughly enjoyable listen for my morning commute.

• edited September 2019

Really enjoyed this @bluntphil particularly the Stuart Roy Clarke segment. There is a brilliant gallery of his work at https://www.homesoffootball.co.uk/ but does anyone else think his prices are on the high side?

• £1,001 for a photo does indeed seem rather steep

• As with all art, especially by respected established creators, what the market will bare sets the price.

• edited September 2019

@perfidious_albion said:
    what the market will bare sets the price.

That reminds me there is a NSFW photo entitled Shepherds Bush Telegram in the Fans section that might appeal to at least one of our long-distance fans :wink:

• Loved the Wishaw interviews, and also good to hear that Adam Clift can manage a whole interview without racially abusing anyone!

• I assume Mr clift has softened his view of Gareth?

• Due to an error on my part (it was very late), I managed to upload the version that didn't have the fans chat about the state of the club/Couhigs.

This has now been rectified and is included at the end of the pod.

As you were.

• I think I may have mentioned on here before that, in the early ‘60s, I shared a flat in Harrow with, inter alia, a Scottish lad (Sam Black Francis) who hailed from the wee toon of Wishaw. We hired a Morris 1800 to drive there for a weekend and it was a memorable trip. The BMC 1800 was a big comfortable car which fairly motored. It was very quiet and deceptively fast as a result and I was surprised when I glanced at the speedometer to find that we were doing 90 mph. That was on the M1.
    As we approached the border (on the A1 I think) snow began to fall and settle. I was quite nervous but Sam assured me that the coarse road surface made driving perfectly safe ! Anyway, we arrived at his folks’ house towards midnight and that was the start of an enjoyable weekend. I recall spending a fair amount of time in a local bar, a far cry from the pubs I was used to, with sawdust on the floor and an exclusively male clientele. We drank pints of heavy (or ‘heevy’ as I think it was pronounced).

Sam was quite a tricky footballer - well he used to run rings round the rest of us in impromptu lunch hour kickabouts. I persuaded him to go for a trial with what was then “my beloved Wealdstone”. They were sufficiently impressed to select him for the Reserves in an away game at Bromley. I drove down to watch the game. He hardly got a touch! I don’t think it helped that he was wearing borrowed boots but it brought home to me just how good even second string players at a senior non-League club can be.

Not sure if Sam is still “with us”; the last I heard, many years ago, was that he’d taken up teaching in the States and had married an American lass.

• Likewise thought the Wishaw interviews were brilliant, didn't Alex Richardson speak well, great club he has there. I hope they find a permanent home, and that they maintain ties with us. Well done Jim Melvin in suggesting the name.

I also liked the discussion with the three fans, they all spoke well. I would like to hear them again later in the season.

• What Steve said.

• Lovely to hear Jim Melvin. Remember doing a fairly loose ‘interview’ with him back in the day. A great storyteller. I’d imagine him and Alan Hutchinson could easily do ‘An evening with...’ tour of provincial theatres!

• Jim Melvin once did the kids training sessions at my primary school. Not sure he really liked kids to be honest.

• Just as well maybe.

• Wishaw reply on Twitter:
    It was Darren Keeping, a Wycombe fan living in Glasgow, who initially made contact with our @arichardson1311 .
    He also contacted Michael Davies at @wwfcofficial & @bluntphil and brought us all together
    So huge thanks must go to Darren ??

• Brilliant, thanks Phil. Keep the fan discussion/comment coming as it’s a great addition. Thanks as always!

• Coming late to the party I'm afraid, I had laptop issues which meant I couldn't updat my iPod for the car. Managed it yesterday and listened to the first ("trailer"?) today.......what can I say? The interview with Hutch was fantastic, my car was brimming with nostalgia, top stuff. Really nice work @bluntphil. I had a great day at work as a result. Can't wait to catch up, might take me a day or two but in the meantime....no spoilers!

• Always a superb listen....thank's a million Phil.

• Hear hear.

• Sorry @micra but just had to give you a thumbs up for that one!

• Ironically, @ValleyWanderer I have suddenly developed a weird hearing problem - a tinny vibrating sensation similar to the one when you get water in the ears but more unpleasant. Of course our doctors’ surgery is closed for lunch!
    Pardon.

• Good work @bluntphil.

BBC News - Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers: The football team name crossing borders
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49974038

• Good work indeed. However, isn't it a bit weird that Pete Couhig is going as a club representative at this stage...?

• Or that it’s taken 25 years for anyone to notice the potential upside to such a worthy gesture?

• In the other hand, it is 25yrs and we don't have a game this weekend; Pete Couhig is a football fan, why wouldn't he want to go to Wishaw?

• @Twizz said:
    In the other hand, it is 25yrs and we don't have a game this weekend; Pete Couhig is a football fan, why wouldn't he want to go to Wishaw?

Pre Season fixture please

• 12pm kick off :smiley: