Skip to content

Comments

• Their call-ups so far appear to be one player who has not been named in their starting line up for any matches this season so far, appearing only five times in the league from the bench, and an U19 call-up who has made zero league appearances for them and appeared only in one EFL Cup match and one EFL Trophy match.

Would they really be a big loss for them against Wycombe? I think not.

• Depends if Ipswich want a team bonding session in Spain!

• I hope they take the Sunderland approach and just go ahead with the game...this needs looking at again by the FA and EFL. Too many games are getting postponed.

Personally I think under 23, under 21 and under 19 call ups need some criteria.

Almost like the tin pot trophy, you have to have played in the last three games for the 1st team to qualify...

If this had been the home game for us, we could have lost a lot of revenue. For the away game it's now a Tuesday night and a lot of fans will now miss out on a first ever fixture at Portman Road...the fans are missing out again.

• @Uncle_T said:
    Their call-ups so far appear to be one player who has not been named in their starting line up for any matches this season so far, appearing only five times in the league from the bench, and an U19 call-up who has made zero league appearances for them and appeared only in one EFL Cup match and one EFL Trophy match.

Would they really be a big loss for them against Wycombe? I think not.

They had a game called off for internationals earlier in the season didn't they? So what's the status on the third player you don't mention? Likely to be called up? Any idea?

But yes it is a farce

• Hopefully Lambert will say something extremely unpleasant and never heard in a call to the International Team managers before and they will back off...

• edited September 2019

They had five called up last time. I'm not sure where I stand on postponements, but why shouldn't international call-ups be seen as part and parcel of the game like injuries? It's not like they very often decimate a team at this level - as they would were there not international breaks for the top two divisions.

• @malone Yes, they do have others who may be called up, however, I still don't think it would leave them with a particularly weakened team.

Of the other three who got called-up last time, only one is a senior player who has featured with any regularity for them in the league this season, with half of his appearances coming off the bench. The other two are U20 or U21 players with only a few appearances each this season: one of them has had one league start (subbed off on 45 minutes) and twice came on as sub (72nd minute and 89th minute); the other has had two league starts (subbed off each time, on 60 and 65 minutes) and one off the bench.

• I want this one cancelled due to a prior arrangement that means I can't go but I remember waiting on last year's Sunderland game for ages wondering what was going on. I'm pretty sure if it happened to a team like us it could cause big problems for us to suck up the loss of three key players but I get the feeling a Sunderland or Ipswich should be able to cope. If the players missing aren't likely to play anyway postponement is farcical.
    Maybe the player should have to have started in 8 out of 10 league games before or similar. They'll be moaning about fixture pile up next.

• edited September 2019

I feel a little rude saying this, as I'm not much of an away watcher, but I think I'd actually have more chance of going on a re-arranged Tuesday, so this suits me, along with @StrongestTeam
    But it goes without saying it doesn't suit most people!

Also agree with ST about some sort of means testing, or criteria to a player counting.
    If it's, with all due respect, just some U21 player, who barely starts for your team anyway, they shouldn't count!

Showing my age a little, does anyone remember a SNES game called Kevin Keegan's player manager?
    In that game, you could find your whole lineup was totally ravaged from international breaks! I usually had about 15 players unavailable!

• The biggest pain is not knowing whether the game is on or not. Living closer to Ipswich than Wycombe I will go Saturday or Tuesday, but would rather it was Saturday because more of us would go. I think we are just as likely to spring a surprise on them Sat or Tues.

• It would be similar to a team calling off a game because three or more players are ill.

"Wycombe's mum said they can't come out to play, cuz they are feeling poorly."

• @chairboyscentral said:
    They had five called up last time. I'm not sure where I stand on postponements, but why shouldn't international call-ups be seen as part and parcel of the game like injuries? It's not like they very often decimate a team at this level - as they would were there not international breaks for the top two divisions.

Were they to have three call-ups from a squad of about thirty, it would, for once in the ugly history of the misuse of this word, be almost exactly a decimation of their team.

• If it were someone like Fleetwood or Accrington away I'd be happy for a postponement as I could then watch it on iFollow as I wouldn't have gone anyway, but Ipswich is going to be a big tick-off for a lot of Wycombe fans.

If the game is postponed I wonder if Wycombe will try and play the FLT game against Fulham u21s on that Saturday - chance of a better crowd. Think Pompey did it recently with their game against an Academy team.

• edited September 2019

@MindlessDrugHoover , that'd be a great shout, if it's not too short notice?
    Maybe we'd want to let a few players ease some niggles out in preference as well though.

• If I am interpreting their website correctly then unless we have signed up to "reciprocal pricing offered by ITFC" then it's £30 to sit in the away end, blocks V1 and V2 of the Cobbold Stand. Are they in denial about their relegation to League 1 last season?

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry , What's the price to sit at our place? £24?
    Surely that'd make it part of a reciprocal job?

£30 for league 1 would be poor, as the premier league is capped at the same amount for away fans.

• https://www.itfc.co.uk/siteassets/files/visiting-fan-guides/itfc---away-fans-generic-guide-2019-20.pdf

According to the Ipswich "visiting fans' guide" the price of blocks V1 and V2 is £27 for adults, with the usual concessions, etc...

• @Malone said:
    @MindlessDrugHoover , that'd be a great shout, if it's not too short notice?
    Maybe we'd want to let a few players ease some niggles out in preference as well though.

It is a good shout and worthy of investigation.
    The Fulham FLT game is scheduled for November 5th which may mean fans missing for another reason.

• I prefer not to see players easing their niggles out if its all the same to you.

• Regarding Ipswich' international call-ups for the weekend of their scheduled match against Wycombe, in their match against Tranmere on Saturday -

• of the two players confirmed last week as being called-up, one was an unused substitute and the other wasn't in the team at all;
    • of the three other players who were called-up for the last set of internationals, one was in the starting line-up (substituted in 75th minute), one was an unused substitute and the other wasn't in the team at all.
  • Thanks for the Update Uncle T - hopefully they will just go ahead and play the game.

I cannot believe the call ups will make a huge difference to their decision but I think the opportunity to rest James Norwood to recover from his injury will probably be the deciding factor.

Be interesting to see who we play this weekend against Posh, as 6 of those will have to feature next Tuesday in the checkatrade trophy...

• One more thought, is there a time limit on when they have to confirm the game by?

• @Commoner said:
    Thanks for the Update Uncle T - hopefully they will just go ahead and play the game.

I cannot believe the call ups will make a huge difference to their decision but I think the opportunity to rest James Norwood to recover from his injury will probably be the deciding factor.

Be interesting to see who we play this weekend against Posh, as 6 of those will have to feature next Tuesday in the checkatrade trophy...

Can't imagine the checkatrade trophy game will come into the equation at all.

GA will pick the best team to beat Posh and worry about the paint pot trophy after.

• @Commoner said:
    One more thought, is there a time limit on when they have to confirm the game by?

I am not absolutely certain, but I understand the EFL rules are that a home side with three or more players called up for international duty must give a minimum of five clear days notice of request to postpone a fixture, but if an away side is requesting the postponement of a match it shall give a minimum of seven days notice. On that basis, Ipswich could wait until after their match against Fleetwood this coming Saturday before making a decision on Sunday to request postponement of their match against us the following Saturday.

• @Username - looks like they've updated the rules for this season. Used to be 5 or 6 players who had started the previous game, have to start the EFL game. I was concerned about 3 games in 7 days for some players.

New rules on this below:

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least **four Qualifying Players **in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

@Uncle_T - thanks for the update. It's a royal pain in the backside. I'd prefer that if "bigger" clubs should not be allowed to postpone matches and should have a squad big enough to deal with it OR as per the EFL Trophy rules above, they should at least have played for the 1st team a number of times and started previous or subsequent games.

• edited September 2019

@Commoner said:
    Thanks for the Update Uncle T - hopefully they will just go ahead and play the game.

editing - as I see @commoner had answered exactly what I was asking above!

• So they say you have to have your "full available strength", but then by that they mean a mere 4 of 10 outfielders!

Bizarre.

• edited September 2019

Ipswich Town now have a third international call-up, after goalkeeper Adam Przybek has been named in the Wales U21 squad. I note, however, that Adam Przybek appears not to have featured in the squad for any of Ipswich Town's matches so far this season, neither appearing in the starting eleven nor being named as a substitute.

• if Lambert feels were a threat which as were 2nd in the league we must be he will call the game off ! Sunderland nearly got there fingers burned playing us last season !!!!

• Their fingers burned over there.