Skip to content

Match day thread: Rochdale

Comments

• Richie has outrichied himself.

• Richie is a proper Dick.

• The tactics were so perfect today that I am genuinely struggling to imagine another way of lining up for that game. I'm not a tactical genius though so maybe rmj could emlighten us what we should have done instead?

• Hello Curtis my old friend...

• Just got home now. Great little day.

Without hoping to sound negative we won 3-0 without really breaking sweat. I've seen us play better in the past and lose so to win 3-0 and look very comfortable in doing so is a great sign.

Thought our 2 centre backs were very good today.

• @Shev said:
    Hello Curtis my old friend...

MOTM performance. Great to have him back.

• @Shev
    ...It's good to see you play again
    Out in midfield making a difference
    Three points away while Dale were sleeping
    And the vision planted in my brain
    still remains
    The Wycombe are going up...

• And in the naked light I saw
    9300 odd people maybe more
    People all happy attending
    Games at AP with no good parking
    And the owner, throwing dollars in the air
    Without a care
    Because the Wycombe were going up

• Sad to see on Facebook that our bus had two windows smashed by bricks.

• brilliant @Shev, and yours actually scans!

• Nice extemporising, guys.

• Awesome stuff... What a manager, what a team... What a tool rmj is!!

• I love it when a good rewritten Simon & Garfunkel hit comes together...

• I've not seen many games where the stats and score are so at odds. It looks like a smash and grab but in reality we were in control all game.

Team selection and tactics spot on, and Allsop, Charles, Thommo and Gape all outstanding amongst plenty of excellent performances.

Interesting that GA on 3CR was talking about 'something special happening' rather than 'still about survival'. Might it all be real?

• @EssexWanderer said:
    I've not seen many games where the stats and score are so at odds. It looks like a smash and grab but in reality we were in control all game.

Team selection and tactics spot on, and Allsop, Charles, Thommo and Gape all outstanding amongst plenty of excellent performances.

Interesting that GA on 3CR was talking about 'something special happening' rather than 'still about survival'. Might it all be real?

He'd have to keep a straight face talking about survival with us 2nd in the league after 11 games!
    That's not to make any crazy predictions about final position, but we're certainly a real notch up on last year's squad to say the least!

• Curtis is BACK
    Richie is comedy gold

Bring on October. It’s gonna be tough, but so are we...

• Let’s just hope that GA continues to be so tactically naive.

• A mention for Rocky. Wasn't troubled much but when he was he made a couple of crucial saves

• Absolutely wonderful stuff. Where’s Richie for his post-match tactical analysis? What a monumental weapon.

• Great set up. Comfortable for most of the game and Ryan was on hand to deal with any glimmers of hope Rochdale had. His kicking was also excellent, including two almost perfectly executed goal kicks directed to the left wing. I also thought Josh and Scott were excellent when they came on. Josh unselfishly laying off to Scott before the latter returned the favour only to see his effort hitting the bar before Fred mopped up. What a great trip. I do like Rochdale and am pleased to see they have sorted the coach issue. Top stuff.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Sad to see on Facebook that our bus had two windows smashed by windows smashed by bricks.

You mean pricks

• Good to see Valley legend Beanhead make an appearance today. We always win when Beanhead is there.

• edited September 2019

Isn't it extra satisfying to beat a team playing the 'right' way by playing the 'wrong' way? Too much is made of style of football; all that actually matters is how effective your game is - and ours is pretty damn effective (least possession but joint most shots per game ?‍♂️).

• edited September 2019

And we're not just taking speculative shots from 30 yards either.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    And we're not just taking speculative shits from 30 yards either.

Speak for yourself.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I see the master tactician has been hard at work again ..... needs to get a grip !!

First you roll your eyes, then you laugh, then you think what is going on here. I would say my usual 'say something positive about the team you support Richie...' but I can only assume this tool just goes on any football forum to wind people up and actually supports no-one.

• Huge plus to see Thompson back after missing 11 games so far this season. Sounds like he had a stormer, and potentially ahead of schedule, as Gaz apparently had wanted to ease him in through the Stevenage lower league cup game.

That centre midfield area becomes an even tougher pick now, just like the forward positions!

We haven't even seen Aarons for more than a 5min cameo either! Excited for when he gets going.

• Those goals (or at least the attempts at defending for them) look slightly awful on the web clips, I hope we won against the run of play as some have suggested, if only because we battered them away at the end of last season when we needed to win and ended up getting nothing against a team that were appalling.

• We were in control throughout and the possession statistics don’t tell the true story. As someone said earlier, there’s so much snobbery about ‘style’ of play, it’s all about being effective and we carried out our game plan to perfection.