Skip to content

EFL clubs voting on Bury reinstatement today

Comments

• edited September 2019

So League Two teams started the season thinking two would go down, then one, and now it might go back to two?

• I think it would set a dreadful precedent. A club simply cannot be allowed to fail to satisfy the league they can fulfill the season, subsequently miss an entire year of football and the cancellation of all their games but face the punishment of dropping just one division.

It means there is no bottom line to how thebdire position a club can get itself into if they can simply ‘skip’ a season. Clubs will end up taking tactical relegations when things are tough to drop down a league and avoid paying a year’s worth of wages. And it is an insult to clubs trying to get into the FL through the pyramid system.

• I agree, it wouldnt look good at all, I personally think they should be dropped to National North

• none of the league 2 clubs will vote for it especially the ones in danger of going down !

• Im sure as long as the club survives the fans will be happy playing wherever they are allowed. I agree I will be very surprised if the L2 clubs vote for.

• It should also be born in mind that every team in League one has lost the revenue of a home game. For Wycombe that probably means about £50k.

• Wake up and smell the coffee, all the players are getting paid £3k less as they have an extra week off.

Agreed, no way they will get voted back into League Two.

• edited September 2019

@mooneyman said:
    It should also be born in mind that every team in League one has lost the revenue of a home game. For Wycombe that probably means about £50k.

I'm sure I read that TV money due to Bury will be split among remaining League One clubs, which is a start at least.

• Personally I'd be very disappointed if EFL clubs voted to readmit Bury. Some club's, who might themselves be close to the edge, could be tempted as they might see it as "a favour, to be called upon later". However, it's a terrible precedent to set, and would allow club's financial mismanagement with almost negligible penalty.

I have every sympathy with employees of Bury and their suppliers who have either not been paid or lost their jobs. The supporters also didn't really contribute to this, but if it's all about their club surviving then why should it matter what league it's in?

We ourselves may be facing a similar future to Bury at some future time should Legacy Members vote against the Couhig's or the whole deal go t*ts up. However, I wouldn't see there being any justification in allowing us back into league 2 after a years absence just because we chose the financial pathway we did - whichever that may be.

Sorry, for me it has to be a vote no.

• I can honestly say that if I were a Bury fan, and I was told that my club will be up and running next season but playing in the National League North - or even lower in the pyramid - I would be absolutely delighted. I would suggest they should spend less time campaigning to retain what they see as their 'rightful place' in the EFL and more time getting the club sorted.

• Emotion needs to be removed in this situation.
    Follow the facts.
    They should start at the bottom of the pyramid or perhaps a few levels above if there is a space.
    The only reason I could see that they would be allowed in, was if a court ruled that the EFL should not have expelled them because they had a clear offer on the table before the 5pm deadline on the day of expulsion. If they can prove the EFL chose to ignore that information and the court ruled this was unlawful or broke the rules, then just maybe they could get let back in.
    If they are let back in, it's going to be open season. Suppliers won't get paid, HMRC won't get paid and clubs will just bankrupt themselves knowing they can stay in the league.
    As much as I enjoyed Gigg Lane and trips to Bury (included floodlight failure on a Tuesday night!) they really need to start again at the bottom of the pyramid...

• By definition @commoner, there is space available upto and including Lg1 to incorporate Bury if that is the right thing to do. The demise of Bury means an additional team will shuffle up (or one less go down) at each level of the pyramid until the level Bury are accommodated at.

Starting them right at the very bottom of the pyramid seems overly extreme. They would simply be too big for that level. I see a case but wouldn't support it to include them back in Lg2 (especially as the legal entity remains in the ownership of the same knobhead). The proposed demotion to one below Nat league North seems harsh to me.
    Nat league north (along with a fair few ex league clubs) feels about right.

• There doesn't appear to be any clear definition of where a club can apply and then be placed in the National League system, which is overseen by the FA - Tiers 5 downwards.
    This is in the National League Rules:

2.10 The Competition shall allow for up to sixty-eight (68) member Clubs. There will be three (3) divisions. There will be twenty-four (24) Member Clubs in the National League with twenty-two (22) Member Clubs in each of National League North and National League South. The Clubs competing in each division each season will be confirmed by the Annual General Meeting of the Company each year. A Club entered into membership at the Annual General Meeting shall be subject to the application of the Rules until the date of the following Annual General Meeting. It shall be allowed for these numbers to be increased to accommodate any anomaly in the National League System.

In theory, any club could apply to be in the National League, as long as they meet the criteria in the rules and their membership is approved at an AGM.

• EFL clubs have voted against Bury being re-admitted.

Common sense prevails.

• Does anyone know what the arrangements will be for the FA Cup First Round now that Bury have been removed from the competition?

This season there will be an odd number of teams in the draw for the First Round. I presume that means one team will be given a bye to the Second Round, but can anyone confirm?

• An FA spokesman said: “Following on from their expulsion from the English Football League, Bury FC will no longer be able to participate in the Emirates FA Cup for the 2019/20 season. We are therefore now consulting with our stakeholders regarding the first round proper following their exit from the league."

That was from last month and can't find anything to confirm the plan so I presume it hasn't been decided yet

• @Uncle_T said:
    Does anyone know what the arrangements will be for the FA Cup First Round now that Bury have been removed from the competition?

This season there will be an odd number of teams in the draw for the First Round. I presume that means one team will be given a bye to the Second Round, but can anyone confirm?

Sir! Sir! Us Sir! WE want a bye,sir!! Can we sir?

• I am sure I read somewhere that as there are an odd number of league clubs, the draw for league clubs will be done alphabetically with the last one getting the bye. Thank goodness Yeovil and York have been relegated in recent years.

• Hope we don't get a bye. This season will be the last time we ever play in the first round of the FA Cup. Would be a shame to miss out

• Now that's the sort of optimism we need going into the weekend!

• In line for the record @eric_plant.