Skip to content

If you’re not going to Rochdale....

Hopefully there will be a good turnout of Chairboys fans at Spotland on Saturday as this amazing start to the season continues. However, if you are unable to go there are some nice games locally that would benefit from some extra people watching them. Here’s a list of what’s on within striking distance of High Wycombe (I’ve included some real grassroots ones including the local derby at Holmer Green):

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH:

Brackley Town v Bradford Park Avenue

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

Hemel Hempstead Town v Bath City
Wealdstone v Havant & Waterlooville

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION SOUTH:

Beaconsfield Town v Blackfield & Langley
Chesham United v Yate Town

HELLENIC LEAGUE CHALLENGE CUP:

Burnham v Windsor
Holmer Green v Penn & Tylers Green
Long Crendon v Yateley Athletic

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION:

Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Baldock Town

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE:

Amersham Town v Winslow United

BUILDBASE FA TROPHY EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND:

Chalfont St Peter v Whitstable Town
Thame United v Kidlington

If you go to one of these games perhaps you could post a very short match report on Saturday evening?

Comments

• top info Andy - as usual. However, with great Fish n Chips at the door and a win hopefully , why not just get up to Rochdale to see a 1-3 result?!! :)

• Sadly I have to work, however, I shall have my phone app on & be listening in via bluetooth on the sly.

• Penn are away at Chalvey Sports aren't they?

• Apologies to anyone who went to Holmer Green today. The Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup-tie v Penn & Tylers Green had been moved to Tues 1st Oct k.o. 7.45pm. Unfortunately the Non-League Paper had the fixture down as today.

Nevertheless, the Holmer Green Development Squad took on Abbey Rangers in the “Mike Bidmead Cup” at home. It turned out to be a very good game - 2 sendings-off, a goalkeeping howler and a 95th minute winner for Holmer Green as they edged the match 3-2. A word about the pitch - it would put many EFL clubs to shame. So not all lost!

One thing about matches at this level is it’s best to check before going as their social media / publicity is often not particularly good.

This was the second problem of the day for me. Advertised as an 11am kick-off, I went to see MK Franchise u-18s v Barnet u-18s this morning at their training ground. I got there in good time but missed the first 3 goals as the game had kicked off at 10.30am.

For those who are interested it was a hat-trick of defeats for MK Franchise today. Danny Senda’s Barnet u-18s thrashed MK 5-1. On the adjoining pitch Barnet u-16s came from 2-3 down to run out 6-3 winners. Following that Luke O’Nien helped Sunderland to a 2-1 win over MK’s first team. What a shame!

• I saw Winslow United win 7-0 at Amersham Town. I took some videos of the goals which Sports Shots have used in their very brief report: http://sportsshots.org.uk/?p=47052 - I managed to miss the last and best goal, a lob over the keeper from way out on the touch line.

59 people watched a very one-sided game. Winslow are a very good side for this level, they have recorded some big wins this season, but they have also lost heavily as well. From other games I have seen, their goalkeeper Sam Ashmead has a very good pair of hands, not that he was tested in this game. Wycombe Wanderers are listed as one of his former clubs, maybe in the Academy days, and he describes himself as a "massive fan" of the Chairboys. Is he, I wonder, related to Luke Ashmead, the BBC 3CR sports journalist?

It was my first visit to Spratleys Meadow, a decent ground for this level, with an elevated view on the side where the small stand is. A local explained how the pitch used to have quite a slope from side to side, now perfectly flat and hence the bank on one side.

It was good to read in the matchday programme that Amersham's finances are sound but that help is required in running the club. I always marvel at how small clubs like these are kept going by selfless volunteers putting in many hours of unpaid work every week.

• Amersham's old pitch was an ankle graveyard

• Good surface now @peterparrotface. I've noticed in recent seasons a great improvement in non-league football pitches. Perhaps a groundsman can throw some light on this. The appliance of science, or just below average rainfall?

• Or groundswoman of course. I'm not sure what the gender neutral word is.

• Definitely science. Hanwell Town is worth a visit if youve not been recently

• It would be nice if WW Ladies could play their home matches at Holmer Green FC. Good facilities, great pitch & easily accessible for local fans to get to.

• Hear hear to that, Andy.

• That is a good thought @A_Worboys. The club used to train there. This season there will be just nine home league games, plus any in the FA, B & B and League Cups, so not causing excessive wear.

If Holmer were agreeable, big if, and also the players as they feel that 3G gives them an advantage, then it might come down to cost. The players pay for pitch hire out of their own pockets, unless Rob Couhig can help.

The 3G pitch at Flackwell College is not built with spectators in mind, restricted views with poor sightlines, and no facilities. I don't like going there. A proper 'stadium', with a covered viewing area and off-pitch facilities, would attract more fans, which is a priority. More fans means more girls taking up the game, and maybe coming to watch on Saturday as well.

• Only slight problems I can see here is... As well as Holmer 1st team, they also have a younger performance team, so one of the 2 are normally at home, and this year they also now have a ladies team ! They are partnered up with Chesham, and ( I might be wrong) but i think they play at Holmer also

• I must say though, I'd rather Wycombe ladies play there as I'd probably then have a wander up and watch them

• @A_Worboys said:
    For those who are interested it was a hat-trick of defeats for MK Franchise today. Danny Senda’s Barnet u-18s thrashed MK 5-1. On the adjoining pitch Barnet u-16s came from 2-3 down to run out 6-3 winners. Following that Luke O’Nien helped Sunderland to a 2-1 win over MK’s first team. What a shame!

I'll just add that Winslow Utd U16s beat MK Franchise U16 Academy 5-2 last week at home.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Only slight problems I can see here is... As well as Holmer 1st team, they also have a younger performance team, so one of the 2 are normally at home, and this year they also now have a ladies team ! They are partnered up with Chesham, and ( I might be wrong) but i think they play at Holmer also

You are correct @HolmerBlue, Chesham Utd & Holmer Green Ladies play in the Thames Valley Counties Women's Football League Division 2, at Holmer Green. They have a game there on Sunday against Milton Utd Ladies, 2pm.

• To me it's a shame that the girls/ladies playing for Holmer Green didn't get involved in some way with Wycombe, save starting another team up, pool their resources and facilities together. Would be good to see them up there, Charlotte, the Wycombe captain is a Holmer Green girl as well.

• I’m sure WW Ladies FC could get involved in some form of fund-raising at WW home matches. I think they’d find a very positive response from Wanderers fans. Maybe they should look at Holmer Green for next season? Would be a really positive step.