Skip to content

Crowds

2»

Comments

• Maybe 1429 is all we can have in order to allow for all the lunatic charging about at the front when we score at that end.

• A glimpse of how the terrace used to be, courtesy of @NewburyWanderer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7374232@N04/36883030516/

It looks like Peterborough 90/91.

• @Steve_Peart I'm sure that both end terraces (as they were at the time) had a capacity in excess of 2300 for quite a while during the 90s.

• @Steve_Peart Yes, that looks like the Posh game. First season at AP, total capacity 6000.
    Main Stand 1267 (as now), Woodland Terrace 1733, both end terraces 1500. So terrace capacity not much more than now. However it was massively hiked up from around 1992 to 1996, when the new Woodlands Stand was built.

• ...and the Hillbottom terrace was controversially seated.

• @Cyclops said:
    The Terrace at 1429 seems very precise. I'd have thought that adding another 21 and rounding it up to 1450 would be sensible from the viewpoint of all the authorities. Unless, of course, the capacity is calculated as an exact function of taking the overall ground area of the enclosure and then dividing it by the average "footprint" occupied by a typical individual.

Interesting idea. So If Rob and co get the burger and dog slingers shifting more units and the pre match beer flows then the average supporter will be “rounded up”, the average footprint will rise and
    ticket sales in the Terrace will fall. I propose all carnivorous beer swillers are reallocated at once to the Frank Adams. With luck 1800 Vegans,
    Inspired by Darius, will be stood there by 20/21.

• The rnd before the Peterborough game, was a replay v Boston United, thats the most packed ive ever seen the home terrace. ive heard rumours from reliable sources that thas was the biggest crowd fiddle since the Loakes Park days.

• I'd love to know how many were in the ground that night.

I was in the valley terrace and you literally couldn't move

• Apparently Boston had stitched us up in the first game by declaring a lower attendance than was actually present (you have to split the gate in FA cup games of course) so we did the same

Err..... "allegedly"

• I wonder if anyone has footage of the 4-0 replay win at Adams Park, and can upload it on here ? Like Eric, i can just remember being packed like sardines behind the goal that night.

• They had actually closed all the turnstiles bar one in the far corner of the Hillbottom Road end by the time I got there at about 5 mins to kick off on the basis the ground was full. That end was fully packed too.

From memory the official attendance was below 5000 but I would bet good money that there were at least 8000 inside (but what an atmosphere)

• From 48:12 on here

• Lovely bit of old Chilterns accent swearing on the sound track 50mins in (just before the fourth goal), now mostly lost to the incessant creep of ‘estuary english’.

• Sounded more Ambridge than Chiltern to me ! @oldblue has a similar accent though. Who knows, might even be him.
    Not sure if it’s proper to name him. I’ll just say that I admire his courage in asking questions, sometimes a little controversial, at most Trust meetings.

• Check out Bernard Miles ‘over the gate’ on YouTube. Remember several old boys like that back in my Chiltern childhood.

• Aah, the memories @perfidious_albion.

• @perfidious_albion born in Middlesex though so not actually a Bucks Boy - although I recognise the vocal twang.
    If only I had a recording of my old Grandad (Grampy) he were a real ol Bucks Boy... British Army of the Rhine Heavyweight Boxing Champion 1927, so you didn't mess with him either.