Skip to content

Flackwell derby on Tuesday

Despite BBC 3 Counties Radio getting the score the wrong way round, Flackwell Heath bowed out of the FA Cup 0-3 at home to Slough Town yesterday in front of a 484 crowd. But how much bigger would that have been had the game been played on Friday evening?

So it’s back to the league for the Heathens, starting with a local derby v Windsor on Tuesday. Kick-off at Wilks Park is 7.45pm. Worth a look if you’re at a loose end!

Elsewhere in the FA Cup Chesham United were edged out 2-1 at the Meadow by Hampton & Richmond while rock-bottom Beaconsfield Town stunned National League South high-flyers Hemel Hempstead Town 1-0 to become the only local Non-League side left in the FA Cup (except Slough - but they don’t count!). Well done the Rams!

Comments

• Agreed re Friday fixture, noticed Maidenhead were also at home on Saturday, do their fixtures usually clash with Wycombe, I thought not?

• Flackwell had some success a couple of years ago with a rather less appealing cup tie against Burnham by staging it on a Friday. As you say, if they'd moved it to Friday and put the word out to WWFC fans, they could have had an even better crowd on their hands.

• @ReadingMarginalista Yes, I went to that game myself - I hadn’t been to Wilks Park for about 20 years prior to that. Too much sport is still organised purely for the benefit of players and officials. The reason is mainly that sales/marketing culture & understanding in this country is pretty weak overall.

• @A_Worboys said:
    @ReadingMarginalista Yes, I went to that game myself - I hadn’t been to Wilks Park for about 20 years prior to that. Too much sport is still organised purely for the benefit of players and officials. The reason is mainly that sales/marketing culture & understanding in this country is pretty weak overall.

Difficult balance perhaps, people at our level and below are often sick of a lot of the marketing nonsense of the higher levels and just want a pint then a game at 3pm. Doesn't mean there aren't opportunities though. Add in being run by helpers in their spare time and it can all slide. Definitely a place for clubs taking a step back and considering why they do what they do every so often.

• Match result:

Flackwell Heath 3 Windsor 2