Skip to content

Comments

• edited September 2019

Good report.

One question about Ofoborh's suspension, though. Does the Stevenage EFL Trophy match count as part of the ban? If yes, he'll be back for Ipswich, if it is not postponed, or Sunderland if it is.

• As far as I'm aware, EFL Trophy games don't - oddly.

• Thanks. Is he still not allowed to play in the EFL Trophy game, even though it doesn't count?

• Great stuff again sir, thanks.

Not for the first time, Ainsworth was effusive in his praise for the work Blooms and Bayo do off the pitch in the dressing room. Leaders they very much are.

• Top stuff again, cheers.

• Great summary mate, careful not to be too blinkered on Freeman, I can remember him losing the ball a few times yesterday as well as for Accy's goal I believe. Still reckon he is best being brought on against tiring legs but as long as the results continue GA can pick the team of his choice (I know, he can anyway!)

• edited September 2019

@NorsQuarters Thanks! I've edited that as I did mean how he usually is. It was Grimmer who lost the ball for Accy's goal!

• Freeman was at the centre of all our midfield play going forward and generally had a good game, but I noticed he lost possession poorly on a few occassions when he looked to play what some might sniffily call a 'Hollywood ball' when a more simple pass would have kept posession. That said, it is great having a player like that in our midfield who is so exciting and attack-minded.

• Yeah, respect. It's a game of opinions this supporter lark!

• Absolutely. To be honest, I must admit to myself I don't actually know much about the game, particularly compared to some posters on here who provide such well observed analysis. @chairboyscentral being an obvious example, plus I always marvel at the well written tactical knowledge of @Glenactico.

• As a former defensive minded midfielder I always hate losing the ball and especially when the opposition can attack on the break.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    As far as I'm aware, EFL Trophy games don't - oddly.

That's annoying.
    So presumably a suspension gained in that cup, can only be served in that cup? Or is that too easy?
    Especially as you might not get another game in that cup!

• @Uncle_T said:
    Thanks. Is he still not allowed to play in the EFL Trophy game, even though it doesn't count?

That'd be ludicrous if that's the rule - in effect adding to the ban. Surely not.

• FLT / Leasing.com thingie yellows and suspensions don't impact beyond the competition so it works both ways.

• Well done again, Tom. I particularly liked the last para.

• I believe those were the rules at the start of last year but were changed halfway through the competition (it's governed by the incompetent EFL remember) to allow players serving a ban during league fixtures to play in the Trophy. Hence why Honeyman could play in the final last year despite serving a match for his antics in the brawl at Adams Park.

So Ofoborh would be available whilst serving his ban for the next 3 L1 fixtures.

Confirmed in this local Sunderland news report from last season

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/george-honeyman-eligible-checkatrade-trophy-15957765

• That's a shame. I was hoping the lesser cup was a good way of "Using up" one of the ban!

On another note, is it just me, or do these cup games seem oddly laid out?
    Other teams have played already, while we have one in early October, and then 2 within a week in November?

• Pompey even played one on a Saturday!

• Portsmouth have had a weird season, 3 league games behind us.
    1 game is the Bury situation, 1 was apparently some town show (!?), and goodness knows what the other one was about.

• Was it not a music festival requiring police numbers? The other one was for international call-ups. Still, I don't think it's the stop-start nature of the season so far that's held them back!

• Freeman is so much more effective with a target man (bayo or Samuel) up top, especially when we play Bayo, as the standard tactic teams employ against him is to have their deepest midfielder getting in front and their cb going behind for the long high balls.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Absolutely. To be honest, I must admit to myself I don't actually know much about the game, particularly compared to some posters on here who provide such well observed analysis. @chairboyscentral being an obvious example, plus I always marvel at the well written tactical knowledge of @Glenactico.

'You're big and have no skill on the ball. You're in defence...' was the extent of my school coaching. As a player with my tactical knowledge my best position has always been watching...

• Good points made about Allsop's kicking, it was an improvement on previous weeks. Of particular interest to me was the way he changed technique kicking from hand. When he sent Kashket away down the right it was a typical slice across the ball, keeping the trajectory lower, and aiming for the gap between centre-half and full-back. However, when kicking to Bayo as he did most of the afternoon he changed it, and struck the ball with his leg following almost a straight line - in rugby terms an 'up and under'; the ball travelling high rather than flat. I haven't seen him do this before, and I thought that it meant the ball was in the air a moment or two longer which gave Bayo a fraction more time to position himself, and also meant he kicked more accurately.

• Interesting take on Allsop’s kicking. Infuriatingly though he still persists with his embarrassing feigning of injury which he did second half after just catching a cross and falling to the ground. He got dogs abuse from the Pompey support and deserved it. I guess he is instructed to do this to disrupt the position rhythm. Just wish he wouldn’t do it!!

• @Jonny_King said:
    Absolutely. To be honest, I must admit to myself I don't actually know much about the game, particularly compared to some posters on here who provide such well observed analysis. @chairboyscentral being an obvious example, plus I always marvel at the well written tactical knowledge of @Glenactico.

I wouldn't worry @Jonny_King - as Brian Clough once said, "Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

• @MBS said:
    Interesting take on Allsop’s kicking. Infuriatingly though he still persists with his embarrassing feigning of injury which he did second half after just catching a cross and falling to the ground. He got dogs abuse from the Pompey support and deserved it. I guess he is instructed to do this to disrupt the position rhythm. Just wish he wouldn’t do it!!

Smyth said on commentary that he even feigns injury in training to run down the time in small sided matches when his team is winning!

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:

@Jonny_King said:

I wouldn't worry @Jonny_King - as Brian Clough once said, "Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

When asked why he did not prepare dossiers on the opposition for his players to read in their hotel the way Don Revie did he replied something along the lines that most footballers have trouble finding their room and using the key...