Skip to content

Sunderland given the Beechdean again

Hope they've paid for all the seats their delightful fans ripped out last time.

Comments

• I would have only given them the away end and nothing else. That way we can keep a eye on them and so they don't take season tickets from people who were already there.

• I understand the financial realities here, but it's a bit disappointing. I'd have like to see us at least try and sell those tickets to hme fans first.

• What's the capacity of the Beechdean? About 1,500?

• Does now look like a sell out. We had 5,500 Wycombe fans for Portsmouth.

I'll put the attendance prediction thread up as soon as possible.

• At £20 a pop plus beer money its a bit of a no brainer tbh assuming people are going to shove around. Could be the biggest crowd we've have had in a while.

• Looks sure to be a sell out now.

Portsmouth would have given the Couhig's a good idea of how we would operate with higher numbers, but a sell out really will.

• I think that given the FFP rules being based on turnover this is the way to get the ratio up to enable further investment in the playing side.

I do feel for the people moved about on the day but will the added Sunderland fans really affect the players that much? IMHO it is an ok price to pay for the extra coins in the coffers, especially if they can streamline the food sales to maximize revenue.

If we want to increase our budget we have to make these kind of sacrifices or fill AP ourselves. I for one support it.

• So long as those profits aren't eaten up by added policing costs/fixing the damage they cause.

• @NorsQuarters . It depends how much truth there is that a crowd really does raise players performances or not. It's one of those "accepted truths", but I've always wondered about it.

If it is true, then it certainly won't help our boys having 1,500 of their screaming fans side on like that.
    But then I can't imagine having 1,500 nearly totally quiet kids and their mums on the other side has much effect on our boys either.

• Talking of policing costs, Andy Holt's Twitter feed is both eye-opening and depressing. Due to the behaviour of a small percentage of Blackpool's support at Accrington on Saturday (bottle throwing etc) their police bill is being hiked. Holt reckons for certain categories of games going forward it could cost the club up to £5 per away fan for police.

• Is there no form of compensation due from the clubs these yobs support?! It really is unfair that they can just cause havoc unimpeded.

• This is what I worry about with Sunderland. They're rolling in cash compared to us, but if we send them the repair bill if/when their fans repeat their seat-removing exploits of last season I wouldn't hold my breath for a cheque in the post.

Why isn't there an endorcable EFL rule in place that holds clubs accountable for the cost of any stadium damage caused by their supporters?

• @Jonny_King said:
    This is what I worry about with Sunderland. They're rolling in cash compared to us, but if we send them the repair bill if/when their fans repeat their seat-removing exploits of last season I wouldn't hold my breath for a cheque in the post.

Why isn't there an endorcable EFL rule in place that holds clubs accountable for the cost of any stadium damage caused by their supporters?

The only answer to that is what I'd call the "Bristol Rovers" defence. That the majority of trouble in their name is caused by City fans...

That's according to a Rovers fan at work!
    But like with dishing fines to fans for chants etc, how do you make sure it's their fans doing it, and not rogues doing their rivals a smear job?

After all, Wycombe can't stop any particular banned fans we have at any time travelling away.

• @Malone said:
    @NorsQuarters . It depends how much truth there is that a crowd really does raise players performances or not. It's one of those "accepted truths", but I've always wondered about it.

If it is true, then it certainly won't help our boys having 1,500 of their screaming fans side on like that.
    But then I can't imagine having 1,500 nearly totally quiet kids and their mums on the other side has much effect on our boys either.

It is an interesting subject. One school of thought suggests crowd have zero influence, hard as that is for us supporters to take

• @Malone said:

@Jonny_King said:
    This is what I worry about with Sunderland. They're rolling in cash compared to us, but if we send them the repair bill if/when their fans repeat their seat-removing exploits of last season I wouldn't hold my breath for a cheque in the post.

The only answer to that is what I'd call the "Bristol Rovers" defence. That the majority of trouble in their name is caused by City fans...

But like with dishing fines to fans for chants etc, how do you make sure it's their fans doing it, and not rogues doing their rivals a smear job?

After all, Wycombe can't stop any particular banned fans we have at any time travelling away.

If an entire stand is given over to supporters of one club, they can hardly claim no responsibility nor make the lame "not really one of ours" defence you mention. WIth great power comes great responsibility etc..

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny_King said:

If an entire stand is given over to supporters of one club, they can hardly claim no responsibility nor make the lame "not really one of ours" defence you mention. WIth great power comes great responsibility etc..

What difference does what portion of a stand make out of interest?
    But agree in general - last season it was clear fans in the gear were causing havoc. That'd take some hatchet job to go to that trouble to smear them!

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny_King said:

But agree in general - last season it was clear fans in the gear were causing havoc. That'd take some hatchet job to go to that trouble to smear them!

I simply mean to say that it is not really legitimate, except in almost inconceivably unlikely circumstances, to disclaim responsibility for damage caused in a stand, or part of it, given over uniquely to your fans.

In language we can all understand, were our child to break something mindlessly, we would all feel a responsibility to offer to make good the damage, whether or not they were behaving in line with how we had brought them up.

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny_King said:

I simply mean to say that it is not really legitimate, except in almost inconceivably unlikely circumstances, to disclaim responsibility for damage caused in a stand, or part of it, given over uniquely to your fans.

In language we can all understand, were our child to break something mindlessly, we would all feel a responsibility to offer to make good the damage, whether or not they were behaving in line with how we had brought them up.

Thinking back, we've had to pay fines before haven't we?
    Probably something different, like some goon throwing something on the pitch?

• I recall throwing a Swansea fan back on the pitch when he decided to make a visit to the woodlands (pre FA). Landed with quite a thump as I remember.......

• Its very disappointing to be robbed of my ringside seat close to the dugouts

• The risk being you are literally robbed of your seat when it goes spiralling theough the air and onto the pitch.

• There are going to be extra costs and possible breakages due to the larger than usual crowds anyway, at least this way we get extra £ to cover it.

• @Jonny_King said:
    The risk being you are literally robbed of your seat when it goes spiralling theough the air and onto the pitch.

I'm sure @Wendoverman has a deck chair he can replace it with.

• @mooneyman said:

@Jonny_King said:
    The risk being you are literally robbed of your seat when it goes spiralling theough the air and onto the pitch.

I'm sure @Wendoverman has a deck chair he can replace it with.

Deckchairs are so crisps and panda pop. Since I moved to Bucks I have a shooting stick.

• What do they do with VIPs? I'm not sure Missy will adore being sat amongst the Mackems ........?

• @TheSwearmeister said:
    What do they do with VIPs? I'm not sure Missy will adore being sat amongst the Mackems ........?

As long as she doesn't start singing 'You're not famous anymore...'

• So far and as far as I'm aware, the Couhig's haven't sat in the VIP area. They've spent their time in the terrace, FA and family stand. It is also unlikely that the voting process will have completed by then so they won't have (assuming yes) an official Board status.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    So far and as far as I'm aware, the Couhig's haven't sat in the VIP area. They've spent their time in the terrace, FA and family stand. It is also unlikely that the voting process will have completed by then so they won't have (assuming yes) an official Board status.

I think Missy stands near richie and is a pest...

• Why does Missy go to Kenilworth Road, of all places?