Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield

Seeing Matty go off again yesterday was very concerning for me. After the way he went off against Lincoln I was very surprised to see him back so soon.

The trouble is that a player will always want to play, particularly someone like Bloomfield. I just hope he now gets some time off to recover and for his health to be fully assessed and monitored.

Even if it weakens our options and affects us on the pitch, his health is clearly far far more important.

Comments

• Excellent post @eric_plant. Wasn’t there yesterday but assumed he took a knock.
    Was he “just” unwell? What you say about his health coming first is spot on and we wish him well.

• His injury was typical of the way he puts himself on the line for Wycombe. Incredible that so far into his career he's playing some of his best ever football and is absolutely vital to the team. The handful who moan whenever they see his name on the team sheet are idiots.

Hope he's recovered and back playing very soon.

• It was another head injury as he put himself in the firing line with a huge effort to clear some danger. I am comforted by reports that he came off as a precaution, because of the previous head injury - yet fully share Eric’s concerns about his future welfare.

• GA has said he would not play anybody if the doctor said not too, he protected blooms by not playing him at Gillingham

• Not sure about “absolutely vital” @MindlessDrugHoover but he has had a new lease of life for the last 18 months or so. Tremendous competitor and has added some extra touches to his game. DannyBulmaneaque!

• edited September 2019

It's fortunate timing for the club that Curtis Thompson should be ready to come back, which will allow Matt Bloomfield to be rested for a period rather than patched up each week. With Ofoborh's suspension it means we'll see more of Pattison - and perhaps Jacob Gardiner-Smith might now make it onto the bench.

If Joe Jacobson also needs some time out to recover from his shoulder injury Mascoll looks capable of slotting in nicely. It leaves a question over who the captain will be though, with Dom Gape, Anthony Stewart and Bayo all having worn the band.

• edited September 2019

Blooms has had a good start to the season, but I don't see how he gets in the side ahead of a fit Curtis Thompson - our best midfielder.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Blooms has had a good start to the season, but I don't see how he gets in the side ahead of a fit Curtis Thompson - our best midfielder.

Have to agree there and perhaps having Thompson in the wings is what is motivating Mr Wycombe which has to be a good thing for the team.

• @aloysius said:
    It's fortunate timing for the club that Curtis Thompson should be ready to come back, which will allow Matt Bloomfield to be rested for a period rather than patched up each week. With Ofoborh's suspension it means we'll see more of Pattison - and perhaps Jacob Gardiner-Smith might now make it onto the bench.

If Joe Jacobson also needs some time out to recover from his shoulder injury Mascoll looks capable of slotting in nicely. It leaves a question over who the captain will be though, with Dom Gape, Anthony Stewart and Bayo all having worn the band.

Think Ainsworth said that JJ’s injury is actually his groin and not a shoulder injury?

The good thing about this squad is that we have strength in numbers, so as much as we will miss Blooms and JJ, we have some decent players waiting for their chance. The thing we will miss most is their leadership on the pitch.

• Gary is right, JJ has a groin injury.

• For me Blooms is playing the best football in his career. I think it is prosperous to suggest he would be risked by Gaz.

Unfortunately people at games will shout abuse at him and Bayo for essentially them being picked to play by the manager. Blooms has been a vital and I mean a vital part of our most ever successful start to a season and it’s a shame that people’s previous opinions on him cloud their judgement.

Whether you think he’s good enough or not you should have the basic human understand and control to not huff and puff and someone showing his commitment to our club.

• It may be tinged by sentiment, but I am hoping Bloomfield leads the team out against Ipswich. What a moment that would be for him!

• Is that 3 head related injuries in a short space of time now? Very unfortunate run of luck, and definitely needs a real checking over.

A big shame Ofoborh has taken himself out for 3 games, but we can still field Gape-Pattison-Freeman, if Gaz wants to stick to bringing Thompson back gently in the cup.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I think it is prosperous to suggest he would be risked by Gaz.

That's a bit rich.

• @Shev said:
    It may be tinged by sentiment, but I am hoping Bloomfield leads the team out against Ipswich. What a moment that would be for him!

Would be a nice touch.

Although the game in a few weeks is likely to be an international call off, right?

• We can also play Wheeler in CM. Including the end of last season, Blooms has been in superb form for some time now and deserves a tonne-load more recognition for what he brings to the side. Do think he could probably do with sitting a game or two out though.

• @HCblue said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I think it is prosperous to suggest he would be risked by Gaz.

That's a bit rich.

Preposterous post @HCblue.

• I'm concerned about Matt Bloomfield and if it were me in charge he'd be told to take a two week holiday.

• Totally agree Righty.

And then undergo lots of tests when he comes back. I just found it really worrying seeing him go off like that on Saturday.