Skip to content

Fan Forum Reaction

I'm stuck at work in the USA, and can't even watch or listen. Any analysis, thoughts or reaction is appreciated!

Comments

• Only came into it late but Gareth basically just said he isn't going anywhere (except maybe into The Championship with Wycombe).

• edited September 2019

Bit underwhelming to be honest. Only two worthwhile questions in 45 minutes of takeover talk. One pointed out that there are no profitable lower league clubs, Rob's response was basically we'll be different. I'm assuming that's not the entirety of his business plan! RC is very smooth, very impressive. I see why people like him.

@bluntphil asked about a succession plan for when Rob either dies or sells up. He admitted that he hadn't thought about it, but when the time comes he'll be in discussion with the Trust about selling the club on.

The board will consist of 6 Couhigs and two Trust nominated members. Trever admitted there is no plan B in the case of a no vote.

Lots of raucous laughter and rounds of applause.

• I’ve been watching on YouTube everyone is positive and enthusiastic although not too much detail is being given.

• @bluntphil asked about a succession plan for when Rob either dies or sells up. He admitted that he hadn't thought about it, but when the time comes he'll be in discussion with the Trust about selling the club on.

I can imagine Rob on his death bed about to draw his terminal breath, on the phone to Trevor discussing what should happen to the club.

• I’m sure Gareth gave what sounded to me like his version of the ‘Silly Little Dream’ speech in it.

• Thanks to the club for the YouTube coverage, good sound and vision. Rob was given an easy ride, those there seemed somewhat in awe of his assertive confident US shtick.
    He is wrong about there being potential from attendees who want a match day ‘experience’ this is football not gridiron.
    That said I want him on board, vote yes Legacy members.

• A couple of corrections @floyd

Board will be six in total - four appointed by Mr C (incl him and his wife) two by Trust.

Re succession, he said he hadn’t thought about it when the question was asked before but now had. Wasn’t prepared to tie hands of potentially his wife or kids but has given a letter of comfort that trust would be consulted. Not a lot of teeth there but hard to see how there could be.

Re plan B, Stroud said he didn’t really know what they would do then, Couhig conformed he would say goodbye, Gareth said in his opinion we would be fucked (not quite but almost in those words)

• @DevC said:
    A couple of corrections @floyd

Board will be six in total - four appointed by Mr C (incl him and his wife) two by Trust.

Yes six in total, quite right.

Re succession, he said he hadn’t thought about it when the question was asked before but now had. Wasn’t prepared to tie hands of potentially his wife or kids but has given a letter of comfort that trust would be consulted. Not a lot of teeth there but hard to see how there could be.

The whole evening was a bit toothless but hard to see how it can have been anything less given the nature of the meeting.

• I would have thought the the Trust had a duty of care to the football club to have a plan b in place, even if it is not made public. It seems absolutely laughable that they aren't even considering it as an option, and falls well below what should be expected of them in my honest opinion

• @floyd any mention of when details of the proposed deal will be put to Legacy members? Or was it a football forum?

• @Tom I agree entirely with that.

• As such, as a Trust (albeit not Legacy) member I suggest that I have no confidence in Mr Stroud

• I am not sure. TS has said the club cannot survive without investment, so if he finds investment to save the club, but it is voted down, the onus for plan B may be on those who did not believe him.

• His job is not to find one opportunity and chuck everything at it in the hope a deals gets voted through. That is not "Safeguarding our heritage and promoting a successful and sustainable future." as they say.

• @peterparrotface said:
    @floyd any mention of when details of the proposed deal will be put to Legacy members? Or was it a football forum?

There was about 45 minutes of takeover related questions at the start before we moved onto football. Unless I missed it I’m not sure anyone asked when the vote would actually take place.

• I guess it depends how close to the precipice each person thinks we are. My understanding is that we are in severe, immediate peril without this happening, but I understand others may see it differently, or have been given different information.

• And when I say peril, I mean immediate issues with continuing as a going concern.

• Immediate peril under who's watch? Either way you look at it, Mr Stroud has performed hideously in my opinion (even ignoring the Bill and Jim/Harman charade)

• I actually don't feel like everything will be rosy with RC, just that we would live to fight another day. The only real hope (if you can call it that) is the EFL sorting out the mess which the lower leagues have become...ooh! Look at that! A flying pig!

• Generally agree with the sentiments above.

Questions were on the whole pretty easy for RC, but I think the opening statement of the debt being written off, the trust retaining 2 board members and 25% ownership and most importantly owning the stadium probably answered a fair few people's questions immediately. I didn't ask more technical questions on the deal itself simply because without the documents available to be read, the answers will always be vague.

In general RC came across extremely well as you'd expect from a polished and experienced businessman, and his positivity clearly rubbed off. His vision of sustainable growth is a good one, but I do have big concerns about how realistic hugely increasing attendances are and would like to have asked how many people do we need through the gate to be "sustainable" in league 1.

• @Tom said:
    Immediate peril under who's watch? Either way you look at it, Mr Stroud has performed hideously in my opinion (even ignoring the Bill and Jim/Harman charade)

Fair point, but I would classify it first and foremost as the EFLs watch. TS has not exactly been making it rain. We have worked wonders on a tiny budget.

• Which we cant afford. We've worked wonders by maxing out the credit card. Whether every other team is at it or not is irrelevant, it makes it feel rather hollow for me.

Given our situation of peril the signing of certain players over the summer is also highly questionable (Parker, who I assume will be on a decent wage, and the bloke from Russia who doesn't get a look in to name 2)

• What was the average age of the attendees do you think?

I reckon about 65

Nothing wrong with that of course, but we've got so many enthusiastic young supporters who go home and away, week in week out, and devote their social media output to talking about Wycombe. It's a shame that their enthusiasm can't be better harnessed, particularly when we're looking to the future of the club

• @floyd said:

@peterparrotface said:
    @floyd any mention of when details of the proposed deal will be put to Legacy members? Or was it a football forum?

There was about 45 minutes of takeover related questions at the start before we moved onto football. Unless I missed it I’m not sure anyone asked when the vote would actually take place.

Thanks mate

• @Tom said:
    I would have thought the the Trust had a duty of care to the football club to have a plan b in place, even if it is not made public. It seems absolutely laughable that they aren't even considering it as an option, and falls well below what should be expected of them in my honest opinion

See I thought the Couhig bid was already plan b after the previous US 'guys' pulled out and mau even be plan c depending on your views on the Harman intervention.

• @Tom said:
    Which we cant afford. We've worked wonders by maxing out the credit card. Whether every other team is at it or not is irrelevant, it makes it feel rather hollow for me.

Given our situation of peril the signing of certain players over the summer is also highly questionable (Parker, who I assume will be on a decent wage, and the bloke from Russia who doesn't get a look in to name 2)

I have very similar concerns, but the simple fact is that league football is a loss making venture for a club of our current fan base.

• Has Couhig passed the football league fit and proper owners test yet does anyone know?

• @Tom GA made it pretty clear that one aim is having a B/U23 team again. That probably explains those two signings. Altho JGS can’t be on much at all.

• @eric_plant said:
    Has Couhig passed the football league fit and proper owners test yet does anyone know?

What is the fit and proper test? A questionnaire? An interview? An audit? Does anyone know?

• @floyd I appreciate this, but it's not sensible to splash the cash whilst in 'immediate peril', as the chap above said