Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

124»

Comments

• If you can play poorly as we certainly did in the 1st half but still get a point then that's a positive
    Re the drummer ok I sit in the FA stand so am not on top of it but he adds tremendously to the atmosphere and even gets us singing ! Also he is needed to redress the sound imbalance with the away end He will be vital this weekend in that respect.

• @Mr67 said:
    If you can play poorly as we certainly did in the 1st half but still get a point then that's a positive
    Re the drummer ok I sit in the FA stand so am not on top of it but he adds tremendously to the atmosphere and even gets us singing ! Also he is needed to redress the sound imbalance with the away end He will be vital this weekend in that respect.

One of the pervious drummers has summed up a lot of peoples views on the Facebook group with a well thought out post.

• Let's get some printed plaques

• @Mr67 said:
    If you can play poorly as we certainly did in the 1st half but still get a point then that's a positive

Thanks buddy I don’t care what ppl think of me they think 1k things to say I don’t care what ppl think of me at end of the day

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Forgot to add, he could do with caring about the people around him.... one of my mates( who doesn't come on here) has recently stated, "if he doesn't shut up soon those sticks are going to go up his

Hahaha wahahah ok what ever you say there film coming out soon I think you should be in it the joker ?

• @uptheblues said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Forgot to add, he could do with caring about the people around him.... one of my mates( who doesn't come on here) has recently stated, "if he doesn't shut up soon those sticks are going to go up his

Hahaha wahahah ok what ever you say there film coming out soon I think you should be in it the joker ?

Pretty fair to say you're proving absolutely everyone's opinions with posts like these at 5.30am

• @uptheblues said:

@Mr67 said:

Thanks buddy I don’t care what ppl think of me they think 1k things to say I don’t care what ppl think of me at end of the day

Not caring what anyone thinks, no matter how reasonable their point is, is precisely the point. You can't expect to deliberately annoy a few hundred fans and get away with it forever.

• Well as an old fart in the Beechdean the drummer adds to the atmosphere without a doubt. I wouldn't want to be too close though, have to admit.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Well as an old fart in the Beechdean the drummer adds to the atmosphere without a doubt. I wouldn't want to be too close though, have to admit.

People generally don't want rid of the drummer, they want him to listen and cooperate with the rest of the terrace

• he is only on day release don't worry !!

• Having a young family , a job that keeps me out of the country constantly , and a 140 mile round trip, i dont get to go to nearly as many games as i would like.

It was Accrington at home on a Tuesday night that drew me in for my first visit of the season.

Firstly , the game itself .
    Truly a tale of 2 halves .
    Accrington looked a very slick outfit at times ,especially in the 1st half .
    Their wingers looked great .
    They signalled their intention in the 1st minute with a dangerous move down the left .
    That set the tone .
    I felt we were desperately dissappointing in the 1st half , putting it politely .
    Rocky made a couple of good , routine blocks , although still worries me with his control of the penalty area .
    Blooms and Gape , as always when i see them stood out .
    Their goal was utterly avoidable, i think it was sloppy play from Wheeler to give the ball away which led to the right winger , who was up against 2 defenders putting in a great cross .
    We should have stopped the cross , the determination of our left back, whoose name escapes me, was minimal .
    We were lucky to be still in the game at half time .

2nd half was much better.
    Much more intensity .
    Bayo did make a difference as well .

Their no 36 should have gone for 2 yellows , but i also thought our penalty was generous , i would have been screaming had that been given against us .
    So the 2 big decisions i thought the ref got wrong.

I thought Anthony stewart was heads and shoulders our best player , gape and blooms were great , grimmer put in a couple of Beckhamesque crosses , he really needs to be encouraged to bomb forward more often .

It did worry me at the lack of chances we created and our style of play . I'm very reliably led to believe that our style of football on Tuesday night was not on a par with what has been served up so far.

We looked dangerous the couple of occassions we played it on the floor . And Grimmers crossing is so so dangerous .
    So I'm not quite sure why we resort to lumping it up front , whether that be scotty or bayo. Obviously its more effective when its Bayo , as it showed , especially with the goal , however i do feel we are doing ourselves a disservice with just lumping it regardless.

Was really impressed with the new ticketing service.

Went to get a cup of tea and chocci bar , saw the queue so didnt bother.

The atmosphere i thought was an absolute credit to us , and well done to all those involved .
    It was a Tuesday night, coming off a defeat the previous game, next to no away fans .
    So to generate the noise we did really was great .
    I dont think there are too many other sets of fans who would do that.

I did however feel that ,on the terrace , and ive been going since Peterborough and John Moston days , for the 1st time i noticed a divide on the terrace .
    Normally we would all sing together , however there were 2 distinct groups , 1 with the drummer who played all game, and then the other side with the more selective drummer and the louder singers .
    I do feel uneasy about talk of disability on here , yet i do think that more selective drumming like the other guy does , would serve everyone better .
    I would hate for him to read these threads and get offended and stop doing what he's doing . I love his enthusiasm and commitment and willingness to get everybody up and going . Love it . Huge respect to him .
    Both drummers truly add to the atmosphere, i for one would like to hear a little less of it , especially when its not relevant , and not adding to the atmosphere .

Overall a very enjoyable evening , the highways agencys , m25 and m23 did their very best to dampen my enthusiasm but did not succeed .
    A game under the floodlights, the standard terrace aroma of body odour , beer , flatulence and burgers , a terrible ref , a poor 1st half performance , diving partridges , a full moon , a debatable penalty, and the walk down hillbottom road trying not to get kneecapped by cars edging out of the factory car parks , remind me how much i love watching Wycombe Wanderers and how lucky the majority of you are to do it more often than i am .

• @Frenchfry said:
    Their goal was utterly avoidable, i think it was sloppy play from Wheeler to give the ball away...

It was Jack Grimmer who did that; although David Wheeler was one of the two players who were trying to prevent the cross. To give Grimmer credit he did bust a gut to get back into the box, but then couldn't quite get close enough to their forward "Charles" to challenge for the header.

• Frenchfry, what a wonderful and refreshingly honest and fair minded appraisal of Tuesday night’s game and overall experience. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and I hope you can get to more games in future.

• @our_frank said:
    @ReadingMarginalista - well said. I sensed before kick-off, when Wilco/Bragg's Hoodoo Voodoo came over the tannoy, that the whole ground was about to join in and it would be our anthem forever - our own Delilah, Never Walk Alone, Eton Boat Song, or whatever... Only for the drum to interrupt my reveries.

On which subject, I'm now bidding for, "A candy coloured clown they call the Sands Man/Tiptoes to my room every night ...".

Sing along, now.

The whole of the Valley End (apart from you) was about to spontaneous burst into a chorus of French Disko by Stereolab before the out-of-time freestyle syncopated drum stylings of the right-side drummer put everyone off their stride.

• A few choruses of prime Stereolab would be a wonderful thing, wouldn't it. Sadly, the Facebook fans page is a bit more like Stalaggh's 'Projekt Misanthropia' at the moment.