Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• I thought that was a really entertaining second half, and controversial opinion perhaps, I thought the young defenders both did well.

• Pleasing point against a team we always seem to struggle against at home. Can't wait to get down to AP to see my first game of the season on Saturday!

• 13 points off the relegation zone, 36 points to safety.

• In the end we did well to fight back and get a point, although to be honest I’m not sure it was really deserved. Accy were much the better team for most of the game and it wasn’t until Bayo came on that we were able to make the ball stick up top. In the end we could have won but it would have been harsh on Accy.

I thought it really showed that Phillips and Mascoll have been playing mainly youth or U23 football. I think someone said the Accy forward was non league last season (?) and it looked that way. He was a handful and the two young defenders looked to be bullied out of it too easy.

In fact in general I thought we weren’t aggressive enough across the pitch until Bayo came on to give us some presence. I was quite disappointed that when the tall full back flattened Bloomfield nobody on our side came steaming in to give him an earful. Some people may see that sort of thing as childish and it may have earned a card but I think it sends the right message.

I feel for Parker a bit. All he seems to be able to do when he gets on the pitch is fall over. But as a senior pro he really needs to be ready to hit the ground running and make a mark on the game when he does get a cameo, especially when we’re on top late in the game.

• Can someone please explain why we have signed Parker ( I think on a two year deal). Not sure what he can achieve for us.

• He's scored goals at this level for Gillingham, giving someone 5 minutes out of position is a pretty tough gig

• Just caught the end of GA' s interview on 3Counties. "I think we're on the verge of something special here. Yes I have ambitions to manage in the Championship, but my preference is to do that with Wycombe". Heartening to hear.

• On a positive, still Symth, Sido, Thompson, Aarons and Samuel to add back in hopefully soon.

A few plus points second half, the midfield 3 did well, Mascoll came onto a game, and Grimmer also did well. Kashket also very lively. Feel much better than I did at half time.

Phillips looks too inexperienced for this level and boy Accy knew it.

• Phillips really struggled, went for headers he was never going to win and got caught out of position. Physically bullied off the ball by the Accy forwards.
    But credit must go to John Coleman, he always produces a team that plays crisp first time passing, with rapid movement and interchanging.

• Wasn’t samuels biggest fan at first but I now realise when he is not there that he is one of the first names on the team sheet. Just need a few more goals from him.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    On a positive, still Symth, Sido, Thompson, Aarons and Samuel to add back in hopefully soon.

A few plus points second half, the midfield 3 did well, Mascoll came onto a game, and Grimmer also did well. Kashket also very lively. Feel much better than I did at half time.

Phillips looks too inexperienced for this level and boy Accy knew it.

Decent assessment, Mccarthy and JJ are hard acts to follow. Grimmer looks a good signing, and Mascoll grew into the game and is a decent athlete, but their quality of delivery isn't in the same class as Jason/JJ.

• Alex Samuel would have made a world of difference I suspect. That game was crying out for the thing he does best.

• On a side note, regardless of the atmosphere he may create on occasions, that drummer gets more and more obnoxiously irritating every week. No need to relentlessly bang the drum every second of every game, when only three people are joining in, while when both drummers join in he's out of time, at best. I'm all for him drumming up chants during the game when the moment is right, but it's all a bit ridiculous at the moment, and has been pretty visibly winding quite a few people up over the past couple of home games.

• @Brownie said:
    On a side note, regardless of the atmosphere he may create on occasions, that drummer gets more and more obnoxiously irritating every week. No need to relentlessly bang the drum every second of every game, when only three people are joining in, while when both drummers join in he's out of time, at best. I'm all for him drumming up chants during the game when the moment is right, but it's all a bit ridiculous at the moment, and has been pretty visibly winding quite a few people up over the past couple of home game

Leave the drummer alone he loves the club, the passion he has for the club is unbelievable.

• Is he a cymbal of the club's success?

• My only real issue with Gaz's style of football is that we're too reactionary. When it works, like against Lincoln, it works very well - but the last 2 games have shown what happens when it doesn't.

Sitting off Accy too much in the first half, letting them play out really gave them the impetus they needed. We struggled to get the ball out wide and use Wheeler well, Grimmer and Mascoll had dreadful games - the midfield was all over the place (in fact the only places they weren't was wherever they were needed for a pass) I get that we like to play quick, direct football, but some of the indecision it causes in the midfield is alarming - just look at Gape instantly smashing the ball out, instead of taking a touch and finding a Blue.

Second half, pressed from the off and were well worth a point.

Also, isn't it funny that in a time when he is getting criticised more than ever, Blooms has had his best start to a season for a while?

• The loss of El Abd's organisation and leadership is going to be critical for the rest of the season.

• @Shev said:
    Is he a cymbal of the club's success?

Yes I wish people wouldn't keep trying to floor tom and give him stick.

For such a small crowd I thought the atmosphere was quite good yesterday from the top of the Woodlands

• @Onlooker said:
    Yes I wish people wouldn't keep trying to floor tom

Oh well bloody played!

• Yeah, especially on the Terrace we need to get behind the drummer and sing our hearts out for the lads. That 12th man support can really help make AP the fortress it can be.

We had the momentum in the second half (admittedly broken up by Accy players going down often) and should have been egging the team on to go for the win. The drummers contribute so much to the atmosphere that we should be thankful they are there.

• @mooneyman said:
    The loss of El Abd's organisation and leadership is going to be critical for the rest of the season.

I don't think it's necessarily just his leadership - losing his, but being without Charles' or JJ's yesterday was a killer in the first half. The two new boys being on the same side looked without any sense of where to go and what to do.

• I am shocked at how much of a bashing Josh Parker is getting, how on earth was he meant to do anything in the 10 mins he had on the pitch ????

• I'm sorry, but the drummer has become a real problem on the terrace.

His enthusiasm is great.. Sometimes.

He needs to learn that he doesn't need to bang the drum incessantly for 90 minutes, over the top of other chants, and often completely out of time. If he can't learn quickly that you have to work with the rest of the terrace to create a good atmosphere then there's going to be ugly scenes at some point this season

• @drcongo said:
    Alex Samuel would have made a world of difference I suspect. That game was crying out for the thing he does best.

Said pretty much exactly the same thing on the way out last night. His strength, holding play and willingness to get hacked down was sorely needed, as were JJ's set pieces.

But let's look at the positive - we played Accrington. At home. On a Tuesday night. And we didn't lose. That's almost like winning.

• Tbh looking around the Terrace there are plenty of ugly scenes already... but I digress. The drumming does help the atmosphere, giving a baseline to chants. I can concede that it is overbearing at times but overall does a fantastic service.

Funny how one point from a possible six is followed by infighting...

• yeah, that's a bonus point for us really.

I hear what people are saying about Samuel, and to an extent I agree but the players we are really missing are Smyth and Aarons. Players of that class will be the difference between winning and not winning games in this division, and I just hope they are back very soon.

By the way, I was very impressed with their no. 7, Clark. He had the better of us all night.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I am shocked at how much of a bashing Josh Parker is getting, how on earth was he meant to do anything in the 10 mins he had on the pitch ????

Agree - suggest the knockers take a look at this

• edited September 2019

Parker hasn't convinced me yet, but I think it's a case of working out his best position/role - and I'm still not sure he's fully fit, although maybe be should he by now. There hasn't half been some overreaction, though. According to one person on Twitter, he "should not play another game at this club" and "scored 0 goals last season" (um, wrong).

• he scored against us last season !!!! LMAO

• Watching Parker in those highlights makes me think he's more suited to playing as a 10/second striker.