Skip to content

Ainsworth on his way?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• It quite clearly says he rejected them

• I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not inclined to believe anything from the Mail.

• Some family attraction maybe, but it's not Blackburn - or we would be in trouble.

Going to Lincoln would be a lot of risk, without a huge amount of reward.
    He's built up a load of credit here, and got a superb squad to work with, and just that hope we're onto something excellent.
    To move now would just be a strange move.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When he was talking to Barnsley, didn't the club actually come out and confirm that?

• Wycombe did, yes @chairboyscentral There was a statement on the website saying we rejected their advances

• edited September 2019

@Tom. Hmm, fair enough. I thought we gave them permission to speak to him. I just don't see why he'd go to Lincoln, a club who at this stage aren't much more likely than us to get into the Championship IMO - even if they've probably got the money while our financial situation remains in the balance.

• Was it Barnsley or am misremembering?

• Never officially confirmed as Barnsley but didn't take a genius to work out that's who it was given the vacancy and rumours at the time.

• He will leave us some time in the near future but not to Lincoln

• His heart remains in Blackburn
    Unfinished business at Rangers
    If the buy out deal, providing the financial platform he needs to perform, goes through can’t see anyone else being any more attractive than us.

• I suspect his next move will be to a Championship team. Not sure Lincoln is a better bet than us if we agree the deal. However , what if Ainsworth things the deal may not go through? Lincoln may be a better way of managing in the Championship. He will have to make a choice before the vote!!

• Don’t know why everyone is freaking out, he’s not going anywhere, he’s just signed some top players and his team is pretty much top of the league at the moment there’s no way on Earth he will walk away from that! Stop being stupid

• We’ll try @georgesims. Honestly, we really will.
    Managers move to clubs @davecz not teams.

• I wasn't in the slightest bit worried, but then you start reading a few people#s views who seem fairly sure it'll happen, plus focusing on words like "couldn't agree terms" and you think, what if!

It'd be a bit of a massive disaster timing wise wouldn't it!

• I'd like to think he wouldn't go, it definitely seems a sideways step rather than a forward one, but we don't know what's on the table at Lincoln for him (and what compensation they've offered us - they apparently got 1million for the Cowleys.

• Ainsworth is a very decent man..he has integrity and scruples in abundance which he has proved in his time here. He is settled and family ties are important. I don’t have the slightest of worries that he would leave for Lincoln...why on earth would he- total sideways move. His next step would be a Chamionship team, Preston or QPR. However he could soon fall off the radar when we are languishing mid table or below in February next year, which of course is possible.

• edited September 2019

@MBS said:
    Ainsworth is a very decent man..he has integrity and scruples in abundance which he has proved in his time here. He is settled and family ties are important. I don’t have the slightest of worries that he would leave for Lincoln...why on earth would he- total sideways move. His next step would be a Chamionship team, Preston or QPR. However he could soon fall off the radar when we are languishing mid table or below in February next year, which of course is possible.

It would not lack integrity for him to move, imho. He owes us nothing.

• @MBS said:
    Ainsworth is a very decent man..he has integrity and scruples in abundance which he has proved in his time here. He is settled and family ties are important. I don’t have the slightest of worries that he would leave for Lincoln...why on earth would he- total sideways move. His next step would be a Chamionship team, Preston or QPR. However he could soon fall off the radar when we are languishing mid table or below in February next year, which of course is possible.

"if" we are....keep positive!

• Very quiet from the club on this, in fact no tweets at all from the club on anything this morning as of 11.42. You could argue if its not true and he has not had a conversation then why should they comment but personally I feel its best to clear this up with a simple statement and if they have given permission for him to talk to Lincoln they surely we deserve to be informed of this. Timing on this could not be worse given meeting on Thursday but maybe the club feels this will concentrate minds by allowing the rumours to persist if indeed it is only a rumour.

• Gareth lives in Wokingham with a young family, Lincoln would be quite an upheaval for him to make, and to a club sitting below us.
    But one thing for sure Ainsworth's agent or whoever represents him, will see no harm in another club publicly chasing him for his services, as it will alert others who may be looking to appoint a new manager in the coming months.

• I hope Ainsworth is leading people on with Lincoln, in a a tactical attempt to try and sway the vote in favour of the Couhig's (WWFC would be more than happy to go along with it if that's the case).

• edited September 2019

The only thing that might make Lincoln more enticing than Wycombe at the moment is that they already have the infrastructure. When I said I don't think they're any more likely to reach the Championship than us just yet, I meant assuming we get the investment. Hopefully we do get it, but I'm not sure how Gareth could get an idea of the likely outcome of the vote at this stage - not enough to make him jump ship anyway.

• edited September 2019

Could this have been Lincoln? And might it suggest they're also looking at Michael Flynn (another manager of a possibly unfancied side flying high in League Two)?

• like the comments re the fact that he has brought in players to share his vision. I would like to think this applies to Ainsworth as well and he would have sold that to players coming in. Most players like to feel they are going to be working with a decent manager at out level.

• All of us would prefer GA to stay at WWFC for the foreseeable future.

It is a little hard to see GA wanting to uproot his family for a club also operating in Lg1 with the prospect of an investment in the way.

On the other hand GA knows that area, they are already attracting games of 8000+ (with income to boot) merely an aspiration for us and who knows what his real views are on the likelihood of that investment taking place, the individuals concerned and feedback received from higher level clubs he dint get the job at.

Instinct would be that this is unlikely, but an anxious few days ahead.

• Either way, hopefully this doesn't cause any disruption to the players, as we have two big games this week. That will give us more of an indication of whether we can cut it near the top of the league, or whether we've just had a decent run of fixtures and form.

• What it does do is give Ainsworth a significant bargaining chip for his wages at Wycombe. “Yes I’ll stay but you know what Lincoln have offered me don’t you...can you match that?” I can hear it now, he is not stupid, but I’m pretty sure his motivation is not a quick buck. There’s more to him than that.