Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• By “changes” @StrongestTeam are you referring to the switch to three at the back after Gillingham scored their second goal or the changes to the starting eleven (or both)?

It sounded like Pattison and Ofobohr struggled to adapt but the injury to Samuel is a real concern. - as is Kashket’s apparent shoulder injury.

Paul Smith’s injury sounds like it’s long term but, on the positive side, Curtis, Fred and Sido should soon be available and let’s hope Rolando Aaron’s injury is not too serious.

Doesn’t help the mood that we’ve been on cloud nine for quite a long time!

• I meant the subs @micra but it applies across, all a bit disjointed, neither passing or aerial game linking up enough or getting much joy. Have to praise the opposition but pretty disappointing after last week.

• Wimbledon, Gillingham, two grounds we often seem to have a bit of a slog at.

I think we'd all have taken 3rd after 8 games!

Let's hope a few players can get patched up for the next game, which hopefully suits us being so close, get going again and get this one forgotten.

• @floyd said:
    I guess we depend on Matt Bloomfield more than some people realize.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

• Sometimes post hoc is indeed propter hoc. Altho it sounds like it just wasn’t our day.

• That was a really crap game. We were due a poor performance and we certainly got one today.

Shape didn’t work. We weren’t able to stop them getting balls into the feet of their two strikers and struggled going forward without any width.

I didn’t think Gillingham were great either, but they were the better side in a drab match. Penalty looked very soft. Seemed to just run into the defender and fall over.

• Doesn’t help the mood that we’ve been on cloud nine for quite a long time!

Without starting another row, this is what I meant last week with my comments. It's great to be where we are but it doesn't take much to bring you crashing back down to earth.

• edited September 2019

The feet of clay of our heroes, including our manager, were revealed today, shining brightly in the glorious sun.

Nothing about the performance was very good, though I thought we looked far the more secure against a team that defended cohesively but presented not that much of a threat either, until Samuel's unfortunate substitution - the injuries are suddenly stacking up quite high, aren't they. In the end, despite changing the formation with the last two substitutions, we created little, threatened less by dint of poor shooting when chances did arise, and got caught out by one strong counter, when I thought Stewart looked a bit unlucky, and a penalty I'll be interested to see again on the highlights in a minute.

It is tempting to ascribe this to the absence of talking point players like Blooms. I myself wondered if we missed some knowhow. But, on reflection, the performance was very similar to most of our away ones of the past few years. It's just that we got caught out at the back twice. I can't say I feel we were unlucky or deserved more given the way we set up. It just didn't work today and, by the end, had become a very frustrating event to watch.

The traffic home didn't help either though, like the match probably, it wasn't as bad as it felt at the time.

I'll add that I consider us still to be joint top tonight. Yes, Coventry have one point more but we have fewer letters in our name, which balances it out.

• edited September 2019

As expected, an extremely soft penalty decision, frustratingly so. Very much in keeping with the referee all match. I thought he was fine, by the way, and consistent, though I take issue with this particular decision. I said to those around me that we tend to prefer, when Bayo plays at least, a ref who lets a bit more go than today's did.

And the fact that thirty seconds of the ninety seconds highlights were taken up showing the penalty preliminaries taking place tells all those who weren't there today how much they need regret having missed it.

• @thecatwwfc said:

Doesn’t help the mood that we’ve been on cloud nine for quite a long time!

Without starting another row, this is what I meant last week with my comments. It's great to be where we are but it doesn't take much to bring you crashing back down to earth.

Surely we’re still on cloud eight, all things considered? I’ll take that.

• And I'll just chuck this one in for consideration, too, after looking at the stats.

I wasn't at Fleetwood or Bristol and was at Wimbledon and here today. My impression of both games I saw is that we should have done better than we did, in terms of performance and, certainly against Wimbledon and probably today, result.

Might it be reasonable to question whether the rather negative way we set up to play away from home is serving us as well as the potential alternatives?

• edited September 2019

We've only won one of our last 13 away now. Most of those games were during that terrible run last season, but it's still a concern.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    today just proves just how much we rely on fred, smyth and Aaron's

Is this real life?

• @Wanderers82 said:
    today just proves just how much we rely on fred, smyth and Aaron's

Really don’t agree with this. The formation was completely wrong - unsure how you’ve added Aaron’s into this considering he’s played for us for 10 minutes and is already injured. Utter bullshit

• Gillingham played well today and it is fair to say Evans’ tactics were spot on. We looked a little off the pace and didn’t have a plan B. Bayo was sussed from the first minute and it was all a bit anti-climatic

• @HCblue said:

>

I'll add that I consider us still to be joint top tonight. Yes, Coventry have one point more but we have fewer letters in our name, which balances it out.

Coventry City vs Wycombe Wanderers?

Not sure we win that one ??

• Coventry v Wycombe is a win, however.

• Ainsworth seems to think he is suddenly a master tactician - behave GA and play the best team

• Pretty funny that @rmjlondon, and astute too, though we (including GA) never stop learning do we?

• Can’t win them all and let’s be honest we still have a good tally of points already. Hope Samuel is ok. Zero goals from open play in 270 mins isn’t ideal but as a betting man I’d say that means some goals are just around the corner.

• Betting men are among the least good predictors of future events.

• Its been a bit hard for those who have had to keep quiet about how in their expert opinion the team and the manager are crap so a good weekend for them...and some bizarre posts from newish gasroomers. A loss is always interesting.

• BBC seemed to think Mr Evans on the touchline was more entertaining than the football for the first half

• Christ, Freeman needs to work on finishing. Fantastic at creating chances, but always takes one too many touches in the box.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Ainsworth seems to think he is suddenly a master tactician - behave GA and play the best team

He's not bad at it
    He's been doing this for years
    Sometimes it'll go wrong

• made a right pills of It yesterday sadly and cost us the game.

• Got it spot on the previous games this season though didn't he.

• Well if he’s just broken our new star’s foot, who we are no doubt paying loads of money for, I think we should forgive him if he was a little distracted

• I had my annual seat in the home end for this match (watched with a Gills supporting mate and his lad). They enjoyed themselves at least!

It's usually interesting (if not ideal) to get a perspective from the other side, but the bloke behind me to myopia to new levels. Every challenge from us was 'a shove', the referee was 'a Wycombe fan', we were 'the worst team I've ever seen'.

Of course, you have to live with it in my position, but his Brexit analysis mid-way through the second half was too much to bear. Apparently, Boris should legislate so that the Speaker can be removed by the Prime Minister of the day if he's 'being out of order'. My moment came when he opined that 'Bercow's stopping Boris from doing anything', which was when I turned round and asked him why parliament was no longer sitting? A brief and reasonably polite exchange took place ending with his claim that 'I don't come to football to talk politics' to which I requested that he stop banging on about it.

At least he just went back to talking about shoving!

• Amazing @arnos_grove !

I read on the fb page a chap saying how Ainsworth won't get a bigger club than Lincoln and how he's "not bothered" if he goes anyway. Reasoning being that no ones bigger than the club (true) and how few managers make any real difference (just plain bizarre).

Maybe just that little glimmer that the anti Gaz faction are only ever a bad result or two away.