Skip to content

Steve Evans comments ahead of Saturday

Some interesting comments here regarding Gills interest in Wheeler and Smith before we signed them.

I understand that our budget for this season is slightly higher than last year but last year it was still regarded as bottom two in the division. So for Gills to be getting ‘no way near’ what we can afford makes you think..

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/evans-well-aware-of-wycombe-talent-212110/

Comments

• I think Steve is being very canny here with his words. I'm not sure how he knows the Gills got nowhere near Wheeler or Smyth. Though it does worry me where the Trust are finding all this money from when we have had no vote yet.

Steve is slighlty confused by how many Leeds fans turned up. According to the Chairboys website it was not "Thousands" but 767. Fair play for bringing Leeds down though.

• I would treat the words of most opposition managers when previewing a game with the utmost caution.

• @wwfcblue said:
    I think Steve is being very canny here with his words. I'm not sure how he knows the Gills got nowhere near Wheeler or Smyth. Though it does worry me where the Trust are finding all this money from when we have had no vote yet.

Steve is slighlty confused by how many Leeds fans turned up. According to the Chairboys website it was not "Thousands" but 767. Fair play for bringing Leeds down though.

Because presumably they enquired and were told what the wages would be and they were priced out of taking it further.

• @wwfcblue said:
    I think Steve is being very canny here with his words.**** I'm not sure how he knows the Gills got nowhere near Wheeler or Smyth.** Though it does worry me where the Trust are finding all this money from when we have had no vote yet.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this?

He's their manager, and he'll have known what the player was after, and what they offered.
    Unless you think it's all done by some sort of sealed bid system, or totally by someone else at the club?!

• "think we will win on Saturday 3-1, it gives our manager some breathing space and lets be honest, its just Wycombe, we should expected nothing less!"

Yet another oppo fan deluded by our past. I think he's right with the scoreline btw, just the other way round!

• Clearly on the wind up

• With regards to Steve Evans, I would refer fellow gasroomers to the words of the great Tommy Doherty

• I'm probably different to some of you, but I've little issue with Steve Evans. He always speaks well of us and Gareth in particular.

Tommy Doc having a rant against someone certainly can't be used as any sort of judgement, he was one angry individual. Left us in the lurch too.

• Evans had many a spat with Adams.

My enemies enemy is my friend

Evans is fine with me.

• @Malone said:
    I'm probably different to some of you, but I've little issue with Steve Evans. He always speaks well of us and Gareth in particular.

Tommy Doc having a rant against someone certainly can't be used as any sort of judgement, he was one angry individual. Left us in the lurch too.

Totally agree, can never see the hate towards him personally

• A fairly cursory bit of research might explain it to you. Certainly, fans of those clubs cheated out of promotion by him are pretty clear in their feelings.

http://twohundredpercent.net/steve-evans-football-manager-convicted-criminal/

But if he speaks well of us ...

• I thought all this was common knowledge! I have always disliked him for the criminal events surrounding Boston.

If MK Dons are boycotted as a club who should not be allowed to play, what price a manager who should not be allowed near a touchline?

• Some very ugly behaviour without doubt, so it's down to whether you believe someone can ever change or not. And treating them for their behaviour now.

I dare say a lot of that sort of thing goes on, which doesn't make it right, but will always happen in such a competitive world. We await the investigation into Man City for instance.