Skip to content

Dubious article with supposed interview with GA

Comments

• I’m sure it’s genuine but I don’t think we should press the panic button just yet.

• of course it's genuine

• There are a lot of quotes for it to be fabricated, but it's certainly uncomfortable reading!

He's firmly putting his weight behind the financial backing, and it may be a contributing factor for bringing the vote closer.

Personally, I think he should be aiming higher than Lincoln for his next move. I know one day he will leave us but I don't want it to be now!!

• It's absolutely genuine. The way I interpret what he's saying, though, is that he's determined for the investment to go through.

• Think @chapmanio could be right.. because of our great start he will definitely linked to more jobs, IF the investment doesn't go through he might just think ... sod it I'm off. Hope I'm wrong but it's a possibility

• It’ll be interesting to know whether the Couhigs + MP think the right framework for promotion will be in place as soon as next season. I’d have thought it would more likely be 2021/22.

• Who's to say we can't go up this season? ?

• I hope/think he's using this interest to help influence the investment vote, rather than genuinely being interested in the Lincoln job.

However, I agree with @HolmerBlue, it would suggest if it doesn't get voted through, he'd look to leave soon-after.

To be fair, it's an effective card to play.

• It’s clear he adores the club and believes with the opportunity we have available we can get to the championship. In Gareths words... Im happy to stay at Wycombe and push for the championship so long as the fans vote in favour of the investment available.

• No manager would say I'm happy to work with no money and have no plans to move. Of course he wants the investment. Didn't GW back Hayes' plan?

• I think his comments pour cold water on the current feel-good factor. Most secure managerial job in the country, best squad in years, flying high in the league, but he openly courts opportunities elsewhere. He might be better keeping schtum to the press.

• Having assembled this squad I think it would be a bizarre move to Lincoln and not necessarily a wise one.

• First time I opened the link it didn't load properly and the url wasn't very "official" looking.

Now it's fully loaded, it's definitely true.

Slightly worrying, I'm not appreciating the corner we seem to be being backed into to vote yes before the meeting

• To be fair to gareth he must have been gutted in the summer when he had to release players he wanted to keep with at the time little prospect of replacing them adequately.

The biggest loser with the whole Harman fiasco could arguably have been GA and his life's career ambitions. Plainly if we had been relegated from Lg1 with a very poor points total, his chances of getting a Championship job would have been much reduced.

Don't have enough knowledge of Lincoln's finances to assess whether they have a realistic chance of Lg1 promotion in the next couple of years. Instinct says if investment goes through he would be better staying here and waiting for better opportunity. If it doesn't hard to blame him for bailing out.

• Yeah , makes sense DevC. Just a shame people feel a bit forced in to a corner over this and the vote and he really shouldnt be saying things about other teams and their behind the scenes situations. Comment on their players and them on the the pitch etc but not this.

• @CyprusSwan said:
    Yeah , makes sense DevC. Just a shame people feel a bit forced in to a corner over this and the vote and he really shouldnt be saying things about other teams and their behind the scenes situations. Comment on their players and them on the the pitch etc but not this.

He’s just stating his ambitions to progress and rightly he is entitled to do so having been a great servant to us for 6 years.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @micra said:
    It’ll be interesting to know whether the Couhigs + MP think the right framework for promotion will be in place as soon as next season. I’d have thought it would more likely be 2021/22.

This is something that is definitely playing on my mind. It was said multiple times in the initial meeting with the Couhigs and Mark Palmer that it is a bad thing for a club to get to get promoted when it is not ready for it. If we get a lot of points on the table before Christmas and they don't consider us ready for promotion then, whilst I don't think anyone involved would deliberately look to lose matches, there is a distinct possibility of more players going out than in during the January transfer window and us being left with a diminished squad for the second half of the season; one which should be able to secure a final points total that would ensure survival in League One, but that is unlikely to get us promoted.

• edited September 2019

@CyprusSwan said:
    Yeah , makes sense DevC. Just a shame people feel a bit forced in to a corner over this and the vote and he really shouldnt be saying things about other teams and their behind the scenes situations. Comment on their players and them on the the pitch etc but not this.

Before we get too carried away...what people say and how they say it as interpreted by a journalist looking to generate interest in or 'likes' for his work should sometimes be taken with a pinch of salt.

Every manager interview I've ever read has included a question about other jobs (there is always one vacant somewhere) and I reckon you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does not say: 'I'm happy/my focus is here...but of course, I am ambitious and want to manage at the highest level...'

If you can find one that says; 'Naah mate I'm on a good thing here and I've found my level...' I salute you.

The hard part is....which job if it goes belly-up is least likely to destroy my future career?

• @IanBeale said:
    He’s just stating his ambitions to progress and rightly he is entitled to do so having been a great servant to us for 6 years.

Whilst I would agree he is entitled to state his ambitions, I whole-heartedly agree with @Vital that it has poured cold water on the current feel-good factor. It may have been better to express this in the Trust meeting on the 19th rather than to the press.

• Dev still saying "the Harman fiasco" as though his entirely dreamed up scenario is fact

• there is a distinct possibility of more players going out than in during the January transfer window and us being left with a diminished squad for the second half of the season;

Why is that? Which ones are going back in January? I thought they were mostly on season long loans?

• @eric_plant said:
    Dev still saying "the Harman fiasco" as though his entirely dreamed up scenario is fact

If Harman had been a serious and successful bid it would not have been disastrous for GA surely...and as it was the original yanks were obviously not that serious if they fled at the first sign of trouble even though the Harman bid failed. At least Rob and Co have given us a taste of what they might have in store for us in terms of changing things (even if it is a false state to trick our sorry arses) and are making the right noises rather than just 'you're ****ed without us.'

• @Wendoverman said:

Every manager interview I've ever read has included a question about other jobs (there is always one vacant somewhere) and I reckon you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does not say: 'I'm happy/my focus is here...but of course, I am ambitious and want to manage at the highest level...'

Yup - I read an interview with Jim Bentley end of last season when he said pretty much the same things, but can't see him leaving Morecambe anytime soon.

• Legend has it that Morecambe will fall down if Jim Bentley leaves.

• I’m a massive Gareth Ainsworth fan. I wasn’t around for the O’Neill years so he’s comfortably my favourite-ever Wycombe manager. I fully understand that he’s ambitious and is going to move on eventually, but I think he’s missed the mark here.

You can either read it as (1) a warning to Legacy members over the upcoming vote. Fair enough, but there are plenty of official or unofficial club channels to get that message across and, even better, engage in a two-way conversation with those fans. Or (2) a genuine come-and-get-me plea to Lincoln/other clubs. I really can’t see why the Lincoln move would be so attractive to him now (he rejected Barnsley who are a bigger club and were in the Championship at the time). And if he’s desperate for another job, the timing seems weird when he’s probably never had it so good here (in terms of squad, financial backing and league position).

• This interview, by the way, reads to me as far less to do with the Lincoln job (no way he's going there, I'll have a £50 charity bet with anyone who thinks otherwise) but more about him sending a message to:

a) the founder members ahead of the vote
    b) the football community in general, letting clubs further up the pyramid know that he's someone who'd be interested if they came knocking

It's nothing any of us didn't already know, and we should all remain calm. He loves Wycombe, and if he chooses to go it will not be after a lot of consideration.

• @Wendoverman said:

Before we get too carried away...what people say and how they say it as interpreted by a journalist looking to generate interest in or 'likes' for his work should sometimes be taken with a pinch of salt.

Exactly. I can't believe people are getting so worked up over clickbait and platitudes.

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:
    Dev still saying "the Harman fiasco" as though his entirely dreamed up scenario is fact

If Harman had been a serious and successful bid it would not have been disastrous for GA surely...and as it was the original yanks were obviously not that serious if they fled at the first sign of trouble even though the Harman bid failed. At least Rob and Co have given us a taste of what they might have in store for us in terms of changing things (even if it is a false state to trick our sorry arses) and are making the right noises rather than just 'you're ****ed without us.'

No, Dev believes that the Dollar Bill/Hacksaw Jim bid was pulled because of the late arrival of Harman's bid on the scene. Something that he has absolutely zero evidence for other than his imagination. And is contrary to what both the Americans themselves and the Trust gave as the reason for them pulling out.

He slipped it into his earlier post as though it was irrefutable fact.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

Exactly. I can't believe people are getting so worked up over clickbait and platitudes.

How did the Ainsworth interview go?

He said he's loving life at Wycombe is hoping that new finance will be found and has no interest in the Lincoln job.

Spice it up a bit