Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you remember the first time?

13»

Comments

  • Having wanted to go in 91, and the following two seasons, my brother finally relented and took me to a match in 1993 when I was 14. Or maybe my Mum forced him to take me so she didn’t have to! It was Wembley versus Runcorn. He is 5 years older than me and at the time I couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t take me!
    I vividly remember the first match I went to at Adams Park, a crushing 5-2 home defeat by our old friends from Colchester in the September of that year.
    I took my son to his first match when he was 6 weeks old, carrying him up the Frank Adams in a car seat. A 1-1 draw against Chesterfield. I remember getting a mixture of looks as I carried him up, mainly other Dads who looked like they were thinking “why didn’t I do that!” - he just lay there had a snooze and enjoyed his half time bottle!!!

  • Runcorn in the trophy final 92/93

  • 12 December 1990 FA Cup Blues v Peterborough

    I won my ticket playing sh&&head from a fella at school who couldn’t attend the game due to the rearranged date. Originally the fixture was due to have been played the previous Saturday but was postponed due to snow and Mottie’s sheepskin jacket.

    I ended up in the Woodlands terrance surrounded by old men and drunk big boys wondering how safe it all was with us all packed in. Psycho Blackler scored, I went flying down the terrace, pandemonium ensured and I was hooked.

    What an honour it’s been to be a Chairboys fan.

    The MO’N, Gormania and Ainsworth years really have been special.

  • @Lloyd2084 said:
    12 December 1990 FA Cup Blues v Peterborough

    I won my ticket playing sh&&head from a fella at school

    Playing what?

  • January 10th 1970, Amateur Cup game at home against Tooting and Mincham United (sic, that's what it says on my 500 club plaque), with family up in the Hospital End corner of the main stand paddock. Snow piled up around the edges of the pitch. Not very inspiring 0-0 draw. Next game wasn't until the following season, Banbury away in the FA Cup. Went to lots more games that season, couldn't believe the massive crowds we pulled in for the big Cup matches.

  • @Malone said:

    @Lloyd2084 said:
    12 December 1990 FA Cup Blues v Peterborough

    I won my ticket playing sh&&head from a fella at school

    Playing what?

    Sh- ithead, the card game. Or Sillyhead as my children currently know it. The rules tend to have regional differences but it is the card game of choice when you have an incomplete deck or on your travels somewhere.

    If you've ever seen a group playing cards with a few cards face up in front of each them and one grappling to hold half the deck, chances are it's sh&&head!

  • @NewburyWanderer said:
    January 10th 1970, Amateur Cup game at home against Tooting and Mincham United (sic, that's what it says on my 500 club plaque), with family up in the Hospital End corner of the main stand paddock. Snow piled up around the edges of the pitch. Not very inspiring 0-0 draw. Next game wasn't until the following season, Banbury away in the FA Cup. Went to lots more games that season, couldn't believe the massive crowds we pulled in for the big Cup matches.

    Banbury in the FA cup was my first away game too, My first game was home to St Albans in the Amateur cup quarter final in Feb 1970 in front of over 9,500...

  • The first I remember going to was when my brother took me to the Slough Town v Wycombe Wanderers FA Cup 1st round replay in 1970 at the old Dolphin Stadium greyhound track when we sneaked in through the fence, but I think I started going regularly with our 2-1 win over St Albans City in Oct 1972, we lost the next 4 home games including 0-1 against Cheshunt in the Amateur Cup , but I was hooked!!

  • Jan 1966 FA Amateur Cup against Aveley (or Penrith - can’t ever remember which order we played them in). Won 1-0 I think. My dad drove me over from Aylesbury and continued to do so an a fairly regular basis until I moved to HW for the first time in 1972. I was 6 and remember nothing about the game other than hanging from the metal railings that used to surround the pitch before they added fences. (And apologies if I have totally misremembered that bit)

  • Yeah I remember mine, Wigan 1-1 Wycombe, Guppy scored. Just cheated now to get the date but it was Aug 93. After looking out for Wycombe's scores since I was 5/6 and then getting the Wycombe kit every Christmas I was finally going to a game.

    Game I remember after that was Stockport away the following year we won 4-1, not sure if I've shared this story (most probably have) but I went with an envelope with my name and address on and £20 in my hand. I asked 4/5 Wycombe fans in a chippy before the game would they send me a pennant as I collected them. Not only did they not take any money they sent me loads of stuff up, hat, badges autographs etc... if I wasn't hooked before then I definitely was now.

    My daughters first game was home to Carlisle 18/2/17 we lost 2-1. She was around 16months old.

  • edited September 2019

    1st August 1991 v Watford in a pre-season friendly

    Didn't like football at the time, only went as my Dad said he'd get me a Mars Bar. I'd just turned 12.

    Soon was hooked, regret not going earlier as I'd liked to have seen a game at Loakes Park and only missed out by 15 months. Done 876 grounds now as I'm into groundhopping, but probably only missed about five home games during that time. Followed Wycombe home and away without missing any games between December 2001 and August 2008

  • @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    1st August 1991 v Watford in a pre-season friendly

    Didn't like football at the time, only went as my Dad said he'd get me a Mars Bar. I'd just turned 12.

    Soon was hooked, regret not going earlier as I'd liked to have seen a game at Loakes Park and only missed out by 15 months. Done 876 grounds now as I'm into groundhopping, but probably only missed about five home games during that time. Followed Wycombe home and away without missing any games between December 2001 and August 2008

    If that is not a typo then that is some damn fine research!

  • @ryan_w_kirkby said:

    Game I remember after that was Stockport away the following year we won 4-1, not sure if I've shared this story (most probably have) but I went with an envelope with my name and address on and £20 in my hand. I asked 4/5 Wycombe fans in a chippy before the game would they send me a pennant as I collected them. Not only did they not take any money they sent me loads of stuff up, hat, badges autographs etc... if I wasn't hooked before then I definitely was now.

    superb stuff.

  • @ryan_w_kirkby said:

    Game I remember after that was Stockport away the following year we won 4-1, not sure if I've shared this story (most probably have) but I went with an envelope with my name and address on and £20 in my hand. I asked 4/5 Wycombe fans in a chippy before the game would they send me a pennant as I collected them. Not only did they not take any money they sent me loads of stuff up, hat, badges autographs etc... if I wasn't hooked before then I definitely was now.

    My daughters first game was home to Carlisle 18/2/17 we lost 2-1. She was around 16months old.

    Sadly I seem to remember we lost that game at Stockport 4-1. In fact we've never won up there in 10 or 11 visits. The 6-0 still haunts me.

  • 1973 Berks and Bucks Cup Final at Chesham. 1-0 win against Slough Town
    I think it was Kenny Swain's last game for us before going to Chelsea for a paltry £500 fee.

  • My first match was in September 1985. We'd been promoted to the Gola League and lost 4-2 to Stafford Rangers in front of a crowd of 767. Read and Link with our goals. It felt like it was going to be a long, hard season and so it was to prove as we ended up playing 23 games between 4 March and 5 May. I still get the programmes out from that season occasionally.

  • Yes I was at that game. They had no boots, the turf was wet and they found it difficult standing up.
    Almost my first visit to Loakes Park was during the war and it was a demonstration of American Football by the Americans stationed at Wycombe Abbey/ We found it very strange

  • @MindlessDrugHoover said:

    @ryan_w_kirkby said:

    Game I remember after that was Stockport away the following year we won 4-1, not sure if I've shared this story (most probably have) but I went with an envelope with my name and address on and £20 in my hand. I asked 4/5 Wycombe fans in a chippy before the game would they send me a pennant as I collected them. Not only did they not take any money they sent me loads of stuff up, hat, badges autographs etc... if I wasn't hooked before then I definitely was now.

    My daughters first game was home to Carlisle 18/2/17 we lost 2-1. She was around 16months old.

    Sadly I seem to remember we lost that game at Stockport 4-1. In fact we've never won up there in 10 or 11 visits. The 6-0 still haunts me.

    I remember more about the day than the game, still can't remember losing 4-1. We were pretty good when I was a kid (like we are now!).

    It was my 21st weekend and I stayed over the Friday watched us get battered 6-0 on the sat and then watched Ricky Hatton also get battered in the night.

  • Wycombe v Preston in the 1994 playoff final, I was 7. What a first game to watch. I was hooked from that day forward. I remember standing on my chair waving my Wycombe flag singing "You're not singing anymore" to the Preston fans after each equaliser. That day is one of the best memories and the beginning of Dave Carroll becoming my idol.

  • @drcongo My first game was also Farnborough at home 89/90 season too (last at LP)! 1-0 Robert Thorpe (only made a handful of substitute appearances for the Club) scored the winner

Sign In or Register to comment.