Skip to content

The Opposition View

What the Pilgrims thought of yesterday's game...

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388314

Comments

• Mostly pretty fair comments there - though the one about Ainsworth concentrating on our negatives rather than their positives misses the point that almost all losing managers do that all the time. Nice that a fair few of them credited us with being a decent team, particularly given that was by some distance our worst performance of the season. Still, no complaints from me on the result - the best team won and could have won by more.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Mostly pretty fair comments there - though the one about Ainsworth concentrating on our negatives rather than their positives misses the point that almost all losing managers do that all the time. Nice that a fair few of them credited us with being a decent team, particularly given that was by some distance our worst performance of the season. Still, no complaints from me on the result - the best team won and could have won by more.

Agree, mostly pretty fair comments - much more balanced than those of some opposition fans - but John Sheridan is surely deluded when he says they dominated the first half. For the first 15-20 minutes it was virtually one-way traffic with Wycombe playing neat football with a lot of slick interpassing ON THE DECK. That was a passage of play when the Plymouth fans must have been thinking "...can see why they are where they are in the table".

The ludicrous short corner (from Jacobson to Ephraim) when both our central defenders, and everyone alse seemingly, were in the box led to their first goal and I think that so knocked the stuffing out of Wycombe that they were panicked into hoofball for virtually the rest of the game. Worst offender was a player who, earlier in the season, had dazzled us with flair and attacking skills rarely seen in a full-back at our level.

One or two on here have made comparisons between Hogan Ephraim and Dean Morgan.
    I have to say that such claims, on limited evidence so far, do seem to be valid. I just hope we are proved wrong.

For the first time this season, I went home feeling dispirited and disconsolate. Not nice. But let's hope my eternal optimism will be revived by a much improved performance on Saturday! COYB.

• Fair bit of revisionist history going on re: Morgan. He was by some distance our best player in a lot of games. Ephraim has a long way to go before he deserves to be mentioned in the same bracket as him in my opinion

• @eric_plant said:
    Fair bit of revisionist history going on re: Morgan. He was by some distance our best player in a lot of games. Ephraim has a long way to go before he deserves to be mentioned in the same bracket as him in my opinion

I don't do revisionism. I had in mind aspects of personality - not footballing skills. I admired Dean Morgan's footballing ability but found him frustrating and often distracted and self-centred. His multi-club history speaks for itself.