Skip to content

Fan Appreciation Day

Seems a nice idea worth getting behind. Anyone here think themselves worthy of recognition? I'm nowhere near.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/september/play-your-part-in-fan-appreciation-day-vs-pompey/

Comments

• In all seriousness-and even though we’ve crossed swords a few times- I’d nominate Chas Harps who has clearly been a supporter for many years and has a deep knowledge of the club’s history.

• Thanks for the nomination, but not for me thanks,
    I don't need any appreciation for a passion I indulge in. Any gratitude or thanks should be given to the volunteers who give up their spare time to assist in the many jobs they undertake.

• The 1986 Verco sponsored light blue replica shirt no longer fit then @ChasHarps?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Thanks for the nomination, but not for me thanks,
    I don't need any appreciation for a passion I indulge in. Any gratitude or thanks should be given to the volunteers who give up their spare time to assist in the many jobs they undertake.

My Puritan English character tends to share this perspective. Nonetheless, I appreciate the thought. Do we know any such types that might be nominated?

• @bookertease said:
    The 1986 Verco sponsored light blue replica shirt no longer fit then @ChasHarps?

Well if it did, i would have really lived the dream and been a Wanderers player, As the first ever replica kit was issued in the 88/99 season.(Basic WWFC knowledge)
    Mind you my 'Ned Kelly' these day is pretty much a replica of the one Neil Price used to carry around at full back in 86 !!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Thanks for the nomination, but not for me thanks,

Spot on. The guys that run the top car park should definitely be nominated!

• Lisa Bowker for one.

• Absobloodylutely @ValleyWanderer.

• Yep, anyone who gives up so much time and effort purely for the love of the club deserves recognition.

I'd also suggest those who have in some way enhanced the experience of being a Wycombe fan. The original Gasman immediately springs to mind. Say what you want about the Gasroom (and many have) it's brought Wycombe fans together in a way that nothing else in the club's history has, interacting with each other every day and often spawning what would become lifelong friendships. And then consider the now vast (and still growing) Chairboys on the Net archives. You can (and we all have) lose yourself for hours in there. Goodness knows how many hours of work have gone into it.

He may, like Chas, not be interested and I hope I haven't spoken out of turn by mentioning him. But to me, he's a Wycombe legend and deserves his place in the conversation about the history of Wycombe Wanderers.

• Lisa Bowker (is that how you spell her name?) gets a lot of grief on f book for her love of Wycombe and Gaz in particular but she does so much volunteering around the club she would get my vote. Is she on Gasroom or are we all middle aged blokes with too much time on our hands ?

• Two great calls there. Living outside of Wycombe the Gasroom was and still is my go-to place to chat to fellow fans, even though, to my knowledge, I've only ever met one of you in person, and the COTN archive is superb.

I long ago gave up on the Facebook page but Lisa's relentless positivity and practical help at the club is worthy of recognition.

• The two chaps who do both the Gasroom and the Wanderers archive site, are also former programme editors and editors of the wonderful Chairboys Gas fanzine.
    They are the people who deserve the plaudits.

• Lisa Bowker is a great shout.

• Is the Chairboys Gas fanzine still going, Chas? I enjoy The Wanderer whose editor, Jonny King, regularly travels up from ? the Plymouth area to Adams Park and he too deserves recognition.

A word too for Ron Monk who, in his mid eighties, rarely misses an away game (though ironically he is currently in Cornwall and will miss the Gillingham game). I believe the number of games he has missed (home and away) since we joined the Football League is still in single figures. Quite remarkable.

• Great suggestion Micra. Let’s keep this thread going and I’ll ask Matt Cecil to monitor it before the Pompey game.

• In the ‘long distance’ category, the efforts of @NorsQuarters should not be overlooked.

And is Dave 'superfan' Bassett still around? I remember reading a few years back that he'd racked up a colossal amount of consecutive matches (being a 'regular' is one thing, but not missing ANY, well that's another level of loyalty...!!)

• I haven't been coming long enough so unless the prize is in crisps I respectfully withdraw,

• Wendoverman, I’m sure that Walkers would like to recognise your enormous contribution to their profits.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Wendoverman, I’m sure that Walkers would like to recognise your enormous contribution to their profits.

My Forest supporting background would prevent me taking advantage of any Leicester-based potato snack prize @glasshalffull
    (publicly anyway...)

• It would be good if the local schools were proactively contacted to get them to agree to WWFC fans wearing in their shirts for the day, as is suggested in the article. I don't want 19500 children sent home from school on the 24th September!
    Especially, the secondary schools in High Wycombe - John Hampden, Cressex, RGS etc, etc.

• Although fitting in to both distance and longevity categories, I, like @chasharps (and I assume, everyone else), do it purely for the love of the club. It's enough to know that in return the club appreciates that people have stuck in there through thick and thin, and doesn't take its support for granted. You don't keep coming along in the hope that you'll eventually receive a long-service medal, you do it more in the hope that one day you'll beat Luton at home.

This initiative serves as a great reminder. As generations before them who have come and gone and given their support along the way, there will be those still amongst our fanbase today who came along to Loakes Park, maybe to watch football for the first time when it started up again after the war - and this generation will have been loyally following their club from boyhood, seeing its progress from then, right the way through to today. And just when they think they've seen it all, we go and hit our all-time high position. The club will have been central to their lives and provided them with some of their greatest living memories, and it still continues to do so. Who knows what joys, and new highs, those who will be watching their first ever match on Saturday week will get to experience in their coming lifetime of support.

In these testing times for clubs like ours, it's important to remember that you can only enjoy a lifetime of support if there is a club there to follow. I hope those currently courting custody of our great club fully appreciate this wider context. I sense (hopefully not naively) from this initiative, that they do indeed 'get it'.

• Great words LeedsBlue.

• Yes, really excellent @LeedsBlue, thank you.

• Mr David Finch the font of all knowledge regarding WWFC co-author of History of WWFC and compiling a comprehensive archive of WWFC

• Cant believe @DevC hasn't been nominated ?
    He goes up and down the length and breadth of his keyboard in his support of the Wanderers.

• Small Town Dreams author J.F. Cumming? Takes a lot of work and dedication to write a book.

• I am currently 4,812 kilometres from Adams Park and will be setting off next Thursday for the Portsmouth game, see you all there.