Skip to content

Previous hat-tricks by a full back in the 1st class game.

When I was a boy I recall reading in the Sunday papers circa 1960 that the late Aston Villa full back Stan Lynn scored a hat-trick. Perhaps there have been others since, which I do not recall. However those of us who were in attendance at Adams Park on Saturday witnessed something special! I am glad that my offspring were with me to share the occasion which will remain in our memories for the rest of our days.

Thank you J J and the rest of the squad.

Comments

• Think I once read (many years ago, so possibly misremembering this) that Julian Dicks once scored a hattrick of penalties for Liverpool.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Think I once read (many years ago, so possibly misremembering this) that Julian Dicks once scored a hattrick of penalties for Liverpool.

I'm sure that gentleman of the game has been a source of inspiration for many a defender...

• edited September 2019

Danny Butterfield for Crystal Palace, even if he was playing up front in the game in question. https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/08/09/danny-butterfield-and-the-least-likely-hat-trick-in-english-football-history/

• @th100 said:
    Danny Butterfield for Crystal Palace, even if he was playing up front in the game in question. https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/08/09/danny-butterfield-and-the-least-likely-hat-trick-in-english-football-history/

Least likely no longer

• edited September 2019

@Jonny_King said:
    Think I once read (many years ago, so possibly misremembering this) that Julian Dicks once scored a hattrick of penalties for Liverpool.

Knew without doubt that wouldn't be true - but a few mins double checking confirms it.

He only scored 3 for Liverpool in total - separate games, a single pen.
    Only actually playing there between 93 and 94 for starters!

• @Malone said:

@Jonny_King said:

Knew without doubt that wouldn't be true - but a few mins double checking confirms it.

I saw him break Lars Bohinen's jaw and not even get booked for it at Upton Park. I'm sure he committed a hat-trick of fouls many many times.

• edited September 2019

I vaguely remember Demetriou scored one for Southend a couple of years ago...

I think I must have completely mis-remembered though because I can't find anything even close to that

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Jonny_King said:

I saw him break Lars Bohinen's jaw and not even get booked for it at Upton Park. I'm sure he committed a hat-trick of fouls many many times.

His brutality always outweighed his quality. How he ever got to a Liverpool i don't know.

• Ok, well in that case I'm reasonably sure I read that a Liverpool player once scored a hattrick of penalties. It wasn't Julian Dicks though...

• edited September 2019

@Jonny_King Steven Gerrard scored a hat-trick of two pens and a free-kick.

• Jan Molby scored a hat trick of pens for Liverpool, he wasn't a full back though.

• @rmjlondon That might be it. I think I read about this feat pre-Steven Gerrard (which shows how long ago it was).

• It would be interesting to know what percentage of goals scored direct from comers in the EFL/PL are JJs over the past 2-3 years. I would guess it may be as high as 25%

• Gerrard scored 2 pens a few times.