Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I would think we need a full week to get the squad fully fit after a hard game imagine Sido and Curtis now able to play again after turning out in that friendly. We have a mid week game on the 17th remember

• @rmjlondon said:
    Im gonna stick my neck out here and say Darius Charles is a better player then Adam El Abd and I love that GA is big enough to see that and allow him to play when his career was all but over, what a recommendation for a player when the manager allows his ever present skipper to leave cos he trusts you to do the job

You've been sticking your neck out about poor el abd was for a long time richie...so not exactly a stretch. Dont know about a better player but DC did have a great game on saturday and long may it continue.

• @Malone I know it’s not the same as having competitive fixtures, but at least we have the numbers now to be able to arrange some ad hoc midweek friendlies such as the one v Brentford last week - until the Freight Rover Trophy comes around.

• Looks like Saturday's game was Cowley's last in charge of Lincoln, done deal to Huddersfield apparently. Lots of Lincoln fans wanting Ainsworth as a replacement...I suppose can't blame them for aiming for the sky however unrealistic!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Malone I know it’s not the same as having competitive fixtures, but at least we have the numbers now to be able to arrange some ad hoc midweek friendlies such as the one v Brentford last week - until the Freight Rover Trophy comes around.

Very true, and great to have that facility where needed.

• Great news - superb achievement!

Does that take him to top scorer so far?

• @Malone Yep, that puts him on 4. Fred and Kashket behind him, both on 2.

• My backing of Fred as top scorer doesn't look as "sure" as I first thought.

Hopefully his "Out for a little while" isn't months.
    Although Rolando hopefully will be as good as his pedigree promises!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • if it wasn't for Lincoln scoring and the amount of injury time I suspect the would have got longer than 10 mins, I wonder if he might start as Gillingham.

• @Malone said:

Great news - superb achievement!

Does that take him to top scorer so far?

It makes JJ our top scorer and joint 2nd in the league.

• @fame_46 said:
    Obviously levels but Rolando reminds me a bit of a raw Cristiano Ronaldo when he arrived at Man Utd.

When he’s up to speed he will give league 1 defences nightmares. Some lovely interchange down our left with Freeman and JJ and he was only on for 10 mins.

He's going to be an exciting player without doubt, can't wait!

• Have we ever had a full back scoring a hat trick?

• @mooneyman said:
    Have we ever had a full back scoring a hat trick?

Someone the other day quoted Stuart Pearce as being the last left back to score one, about 25 years ago maybe?

It has to be a superbly rare occurrence, especially as he didn't even take a pen in his tally!

• Looks like I didn’t pick the best dates to be away on holiday! Still finally got an internet connection and it’s great catching up with so much positivity. Please keep it up until my next game v Portsmouth. COYB!

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Have we ever had a full back scoring a hat trick?

Someone the other day quoted Stuart Pearce as being the last left back to score one, about 25 years ago maybe?

It has to be a superbly rare occurrence, especially as he didn't even take a pen in his tally!

People were to scared to get in the way of one of his free kicks....lest he have a word with them later in the game I think.

• Wow! Top of League 1, never thought I'd see that, well done GA, Dobbo and the whole staff at WWFC, thoroughly deserved.

I've got to agree with Mindless Drug Hoover - I thought the referee had a good game apart from that one incident which he got so so wrong. He realised his mistake and started to blow but the ball was being crossed in and I think he just froze. He'll replay that incident and would imagine never make the same mistake again. Everyone makes mistakes...both players are ok, so hopefully he can learn from it. People suggesting he should never ref again etc seems a little absurd.

Lincoln had two players missing on international duty and a couple of others injured, I also found it strange Akinde didn't start, nonetheless that was a magnificent performance from start to finish against a confident a good side.

If we can get through to the end of October in the top 6, then just maybe we might challenge for play offs. COYB!

• Lincoln were surprisingly toothless I thought...especially a team with Jorge Grant and Des Walker's nipper who both have a good reputations for attacking play. Akinde shows there is always a place for a bigger fella in the lower leagues.

• Cowley brothers confirmed as new Huddersfield management. https://www.weareimps.com/news/2019/september/190909-statement/

They've done a superb job at Lincoln. Wonder if they'll try and come in for Ainsworth as a lot of their fans seem to hope, or maybe realise he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

• @Commoner said:

>

Lincoln had two players missing on international duty and a couple of others injured, I also found it strange Akinde didn't start, nonetheless that was a magnificent performance from start to finish against a confident a good side.

>

I've seen a few comments like this, and it must be countered with the fact that we have Thompson, Fred and Smyth out - all fairly strong league one players.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Cowley brothers confirmed as new Huddersfield management. https://www.weareimps.com/news/2019/september/190909-statement/

They've done a superb job at Lincoln. Wonder if they'll try and come in for Ainsworth as a lot of their fans seem to hope, or maybe realise he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Football fans are known for exceptional delusion at times, but Ainsworth to Lincoln would be a mad move.

• Who seen the guy on Twitter that put a fiver on jj to score hatrick..just won £400.

• Ainsworth is the favourite for the Lincoln job on some bookmakers sites. Not sure it’s progress for him. Let’s hope not.

• He's assembled a great squad of players here and could be on the brink of something exciting at a small club...I reckon as he's already left for QPR twice that he will probably stay.

• Imagine leaving for Lincoln now with this incredible squad. After years of skimping by and barely filling the bench at all. Let alone with quality.

• @Wendoverman said:
    He's assembled a great squad of players here and could be on the brink of something exciting at a small club...I reckon as he's already left for QPR twice that he will probably stay.

It would be the sideways step of the century GA knows where he wants go and his next step won’t be another provincial town won’t do it they’ll look for someone available

• It's a Spice Girls moment...

"Whooo-ooo-ooo do you think you are?"

Maybe they think they're a Championship side in waiting - and with plans (I believe) for a new stadium, funds available, plus a decent (if fickle) fanbase, then maybe they might be in a few years. But at the moment they are just another League 1 side. No way GA is going to move sideways, especially now he's got the squad strength he's always dreamed about...

I can't remember the last time I felt less worried by a "Gareth favourite for the X job" rumour.

• @davecz said:
    Ainsworth is the favourite for the Lincoln job on some bookmakers sites. Not sure it’s progress for him. Let’s hope not.

I'm sure Mr Carrots has the answer - now where has he been?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    It's a Spice Girls moment...

"Whooo-ooo-ooo do you think you are?"

Maybe they think they're a Championship side in waiting - and with plans (I believe) for a new stadium, funds available, plus a decent (if fickle) fanbase, then maybe they might be in a few years. But at the moment they are just another League 1 side. No way GA is going to move sideways, especially now he's got the squad strength he's always dreamed about...

I can't remember the last time I felt less worried by a "Gareth favourite for the X job" rumour.

I share your perception which means, I suppose, that we should perhaps be worried.