Skip to content

Bolton Wanderers

I see Bolton Wanderers have been taken over by a consortium headed up by a local lady living in Beaconsfield. Missed opportunity there I guess?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/29/football-ventures-sharon-brittan-net-worth-bolton-wanderers/

Comments

• Even more frustrating is the fact that the lady fronting this group apparently has two sons who are Wycombe fans!
    However, what can you do if this company didn’t express any interest when it was widely known that we were looking for investors?

• If its not her money theres not much in this story, Bolton are a vastly different prospect too. If they dumped most of the debt as is traditional now and can drag themselves up a couple of divisions they could easily be worth tens if millions of pounds.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Even more frustrating is the fact that the lady fronting this group apparently has two sons who are Wycombe fans!
    However, what can you do if this company didn’t express any interest when it was widely known that we were looking for investors?

I don't recall the trust board encouraging expressions of interest from outside parties. In fact, I recall them actively trying to dissuade Andy Harman when he did, to the extent he felt forced to go public with his bid to force their hands.

• edited September 2019

@glasshalffull said:
    Even more frustrating is the fact that the lady fronting this group apparently has two sons who are Wycombe fans!

We weren't really looking for investors, were we? More like donors.

As @StrongestTeam says, the difference between buying all of Bolton FC, including ground and hotel, and some of WWFC, not including the most significant asset, is easy for even a hardened non-businessman like me to see.

• PS. Regular terrace-dwellers may have recognised a face in the photos in the linked article.

• @aloysius said:

@glasshalffull said:

I don't recall the trust board encouraging expressions of interest from outside parties. In fact, I recall them actively trying to dissuade Andy Harman when he did, to the extent he felt forced to go public with his bid to force their hands.

That’s not quite right Aloysius. The Trust board made it clear at public meetings-and it was reported in the media-that they were looking for outside investment because they felt the supporters owned model was unsustainable. The reason given for not initially considering Andy Harman’s bid was that they were a long way down the road with the bid from Bill and Jim although subsequently they did invite Andy to make a bid.

• Oh God we're back to Andy Harman...