Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Thanks @LincolnImp, very reasonable summary and all the best to you too.

I'm also glad to see @bigred87 here again and I hope yesterday has helped your recovery. I wasn't able to make it to the game but will be back soon and hope to catch you at the Rebellion tent along with several other Gasroomers. All the best.

• Agree with all that @ValleyWanderer.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Couldn't make today sadly, but enjoyed listening to the commentary while I did the washing up (took me the whole game to do about three glasses as I was so enthralled). Worth listening back to the interview with GA on BBC3C 505 on iPlayer, he oozes class and humility and its yet another reminder, if any more are needed, what a classy guy he is.

Glad to hear Blooms is ok. Typical Matty B though, putting his body on the line for the cause and not being afraid to put his head in where it hurts. Wish some of the idiots on social media could see what he does for the team (referring to the people who post nasty, abusive comments about/to him, rather than people who just don't rate him).

That said, I must be the only Wycombe fan happy their goal stood, as I'd stuck a few quid on Wycombe to win and both teams to score...

On to Stevenage in the McPot Noodle Cup - I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Stevenage is 8th October isn't it?

• “I don't want to make excuses, but I imagine the complete and utter fuckwits at Sky Sports played their part in yesterday's defeat. Imagine spreading some complete and utter crap on your news channel, to quite literally manipulate the betting during the international break.

What a bunch of pricks.

That rumour must have been on the players minds”

Love this post on the Imps forum. ?

• Enjoy the moment and keep looking at the league table all week. Wherever we finish this season ,on Sept 7th we were top of League 1. THAT decision or lack of it was a disgrace.aside from the fact there were 2 potential head injuries that need treating immediately when every second counts , Allsop was having to jump over them to defend his goal like in some bizarre beat the goalie game at a school fate. The referee should be ashamed

• edited September 2019

That was one of the best performances 1-11 from Wycombe that I've seen for a while. Lincoln were are a good side at this level but were made to look very ordinary by a disciplined defensive display (aside from the mix up that lead to the penalty shout in the first half). The midfield three that started put in an almighty shift, and when Bloomfield was stretchered off, Ofoborh slotted in as if he'd been playing there for 15 years as well. Freeman seems to grow with the confidence of someone who has had something click in their head and can now read situations develop that seemed to pass him by before, and that late effort that cannoned off the bar would have been thoroughly deserved. It would have also provided some delicious symmetry with 4-1 win over them in 1998, alas we will just have do make with a 3-1 and our highest league position in 132 years of Wycombe history. Mushn't grumble...

EDIT - Oh yeh, something about a masterclass in scoring from set-pieces from hat-trick hero Joe Jacobson. Just a minor detail...

• What a wonderful read this thread is this morning. I was working yesterday (damn it!), but managed to follow the action from afar and it sounded every bit as good as posters have said. The great thing about having a bigger and better quality squad is that every player in the starting line up knows they have to perform at the very top of their game because there’s someone desperate to take their place. We’re 15 points closer to safety then let’s see what happens from there!

• If, as has been reported, the Cowley brothers have been approached by three Championship clubs recently (and deservedly so given their achievements) then Ainsworth must be the hottest young management prospect around. Can't believe how lucky we are to have him here, along with Dobbo. Someone on here said not to get carried away, but for fans of clubs like Wycombe you have to take your enjoyment when you can. Truly these are the best of times. Can't wait for the next game.

• edited September 2019

So, we have as a manager in GA, (tactically inept with no plan B ), that totally changed our DNA and sat deep in the 1st half. I watched this unfold from the Beechdean and just basked in the sunshine with a grin. It was so perfect for the situation. Kashket & Wheeler staying deep, protecting the flanks and breaking forward at the right moments was ideal. Lincoln couldn't find any effective way through. Same for Bloomers, Gape and Freeman, choosing perfectly the timings of their runs. Second half The Imps went three up top and reverted to their renowned direct approach & after the already discussed disputed goal for Lincoln, the tactically inept GA changed to a plan C and levelled the playing field by putting on the (aged/useless lump that only knows one way to play), Akinfenwa. After that one team looked the more likely to score & they were playing in blue. We created three or four good chances from open play and to see a final score of 4-1 would not have misrepresented the balance of play. Possibly the finest, most fluid performance I have witnessed since the play-off final v Preston from any Wycombe team since I started coming 25 odd years ago?

• Spot on @EwanHoosaami.

I’ve been trying to remember similar ‘complete performance’ feelings in recent times and not many come to mind (perhaps the 5-1 Cup win at Chesterfield)

• A fantastic performance from the team. Made Lincoln look so ordinary in the first half.

It was noticeable first half how organised we were in repelling attacks, while letting them do nothing with lots of possession.

Once Akinde came on, the second half just became a crazy festival of football. I can’t see how anyone there would not want to come back.

Asides the goals, that was JJ’s best all round performance in some time. Freeman off the chart. Good to see Bloomfield in the car park post match - he’d taken a right old kicking even before the ‘incident’.

Who cares if we’re getting carried away? Imagine the dullness of wittering on about relegation threats when you’re top of the league? At least wait until we lose a match.

• Great post from EwanOosaami. I hope some of those FB posters who were giving GA dog’s abuse not long ago are hanging their heads in shame. He’s a brilliant manager who just needed the right backing to create the squad he wanted.

• Finally managed to sign back in after trying to change my password....been itching to post.

What a game, what a team, what a manager and what a club. We are so lucky to be fans of Wycombe right now. That was maybe the best performance in quite some years, really thought the game was going to be the toughest so far, even tougher and more 'orrible than a Wimbledon game but within five minutes I was saying to my pal sitting next to me in then FA "we've got this."

Can't fault anyone on the pitch, Rocky made a couple of world class saves, Defence looked solid with Tools going on his skipping run through the Lincoln MF. Have to make a special mention of JJ, absolute class act. I was sure he would shoot on the first fk so got the old phone out and hit record, and it went it!! Managed to drop the phone in the celebrations and now have a cracked screen....totally worth it! The MF was sublime, Thought blooms was having his best game for a while until he went off, outrageous reffing btw. Freeman was class and Dom did what he does oozing control (if that's a thing). Alex and Scotty ran their hearts out, Scotty running back to cover their wide threat constantly and snuffing out any hope they had to get their foot on the ball. Second half and Akinde coming on did give us something different to think about (I don't remember him being so big!) but the guys managed admirably. Our subs slotted in perfectly, they couldn't handle Bayo and it worked well. Special mention to our new loanees, thought Nnamdi was a real talent, a big unit and with the skills to match! Aarons will be a delight to watch when we gets more minutes to show what he can do.

Can't stop gushing......we're top of the league and having a laugh.

COYB

• It’s a rare feeling to watch a match and have complete confidence at 1-0 that only one team will win it. Long may Darius and Anthony remain fit. I’m tempted so say that if Darius plays all season, I’m joining my daughter on board the Vegan train.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Great post from EwanOosaami. I hope some of those FB posters who were giving GA dog’s abuse not long ago are hanging their heads in shame. He’s a brilliant manager who just needed the right backing to create the squad he wanted.

That would require a degree of self awareness and emotional intelligence I'm not sure they possess.

• I fear you’re right in that assumption MindlessDrugHoover.

• Im gonna stick my neck out here and say Darius Charles is a better player then Adam El Abd and I love that GA is big enough to see that and allow him to play when his career was all but over, what a recommendation for a player when the manager allows his ever present skipper to leave cos he trusts you to do the job !!!

• Just to make the weekend / season better poxford look to be struggling this season so that’s a bonus.

• I never doubted that Darius was a "better footballer" if you can define such a thing. It is the fellows injury record & doubts that have always been the issue and taking last season in isolation, El-Abd was the "better footballer", as he was on the pitch whilst Darius was in the treatment room. I can only guess that having Giles-Phillips as back up and wanting to bring in two young Premiership players was the "tipping of the scales" as far as El-Abd and CMS departures were concerned?

• @rmjlondon said:
    Im gonna stick my neck out here and say Darius Charles is a better player then Adam El Abd and I love that GA is big enough to see that and allow him to play when his career was all but over, what a recommendation for a player when the manager allows his ever present skipper to leave cos he trusts you to do the job !!!

full agree. he is brilliant yesterday. imo freeman has improved beyond recognition, he is so comfortable on the ball and just glides and looks unplayable. the loanie from Bournemouth looks class also

• He looked like he was going to fall over everytime he went near the ball but seemed to attract it like a magnet

• Possibly a highly unpopular opinion but, apart from the appalling cock-up with Lincoln's goal, thought the ref yesterday had a very decent game. Two quite tigerish teams playing an often frenetic, but not dirty, game and he generally let the game flow. i imagine his assessors will be having words with him about the incident, though.

• He had a decent first half, it then went horribly wrong !!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Possibly a highly unpopular opinion but, apart from the appalling cock-up with Lincoln's goal, thought the ref yesterday had a very decent game. Two quite tigerish teams playing an often frenetic, but not dirty, game and he generally let the game flow. i imagine his assessors will be having words with him about the incident, though.

There was a bit of play soon after the long delayed restart where someone nailed akinde and then someone mashed another lincoln player.
    The ref gave neither.
    It smacked to me of trying to slightly make up for the guilt of his massive mistake.

• Yet another positive to add to the list is the fact that, if BBC stats are to be believed, we committed only 3 fouls (really?) to Lincoln’s 13.

Only one yellow and that for an arguably justified (but presumably over-exuberant) protest from Allsop about the referee’s dreadful aberration. And without checking the stats I’d say our yellow card count is well down this season.

• I hate to bang on about this but once again yesterday proved (to me at least) that Bayo is far, FAR more effective as a sub than a starter. Also, feel a bit for Curtis Thompson - he's going to struggle to get into the team if Nnamdi stays fit. Sido might also have problems though Darius will probably benefit from squad rotation, even if he stays fit, with an arthritic hip.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Possibly the finest, most fluid performance I have witnessed since the play-off final v Preston from any Wycombe team since I started coming 25 odd years ago?

Some of our play yesterday definitely wouldn't have look out of place in that performance. A recent one that came to mind was the play-off 2nd leg vs Plymouth, we completely played them off the park in the first half with some wonderful flowing football, which yesterday's performance definitely was reminiscent of.

• @Malone said:

Why the hell did I think it was next week? That's a shame, the form we're in at the moment I can't wait for the next game, regardless of the competition.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Thanks @LincolnImp, very reasonable summary and all the best to you too.

I'm also glad to see @bigred87 here again and I hope yesterday has helped your recovery. I wasn't able to make it to the game but will be back soon and hope to catch you at the Rebellion tent along with several other Gasroomers. All the best.

What very kind words thank you

• edited September 2019

@Jonny_King said:

@Malone said:

Why the hell did I think it was next week? That's a shame, the form we're in at the moment I can't wait for the next game, regardless of the competition.

The cup is weirdly laid out, in that some teams have played a game already, yet they're making us wait until 8th October.
    Then another month delay, and back to back midweekers.

Very odd.

With our squad, we could do with having the extra games asap