Skip to content

"Best So Far?": Crowd Forecast and Speculation - Lincoln (H) - 7th Sept 2019 - Match 7

2»

Comments

• 6244 with 1760 away fans

• 5841 with 1188 arriving in Hillmans.

• Hillman Imp! (Said in Alan Partridge BBC Norwich wine.). Nice one @DevC .

• Public knowledge on LCFC website (so hopefully not spoiling the predictions) but, mainly due to the messing around with ticket sales this week and no pay on the day, just over 700 will be in the away end today. Real shame- only half what we took to MK on a Tuesday night 3 weeks ago.

• That is a real bummer @LincolnImp and the MK FC reference really rubs salt into wounds. Official enquiry needed.

• 5432 and 732 Imps

• 5763 - 786 Imps

• 5743 including 1397 from Lincoln.

• 4888 with 887 from Lincoln

• 5001 with 837 visitors

• Pessimism reigns!

• Attendance given as 5,562 but no numbers on the away fans.

• Looked like about 6-700 to me. Decent home crowd. Interesting to see how many we can attract for the home Saturday game in two weeks if we’re still in the top 6.

• Disappointing turnout for me, given that we're back to school now and everyone's around.

Really sorry that so relatively few Imps could make it. Definitely a steward's enquiry needed on the all-ticket call.

• 785 away fans according to Lincoln’s Twitter.

• @micra said:
    That is a real bummer @LincolnImp and the MK FC reference really rubs salt into wounds. Official enquiry needed.

Never gave MK reference a second thought but should be more careful.

Unless there were riots outside (before or after), I am still oblivious to whatever stopped POTD and the contradictory announcements during the week from LCFC. Still always next year unless one of us does something rather novel (promotion or relegation).

Either way, Adams Park is one of the much nicer away days (traffic after the match aside) and today was fine other than the result!

• Seemed a higher than usual police presence in and around the ground

• edited September 2019

Happy Sunday morning.

Congratulations to the winner @BlueBoy who was closest - 81 away with 5643. Nobody else was within 100.
    A well judged forecast indeed.

The reason was that the away attendance was much less than we all expected - @HCblue is right to say that an inquiry needed on the all ticket decision. If it was a police decision then could it have been taken on out of date intelligence. It was a game high in emotion and controversy, but very little sign of trouble during the game or on the trek down Hillbottom Road.

Our average prediction for the home crowd was 4613, the actual home crowd was 4777.
    Our average predicition for the away crowd was 1397, the actual away crowd was 785.

600 extra Lincoln fans would have taken the gate over 6000.

4777 is a respectable recent number for ourselves, not brilliant or outstanding, but encouraging. I will try and do some sort of exercise to see what we were averaging for home Saturday matches last year. Games like the one we witnessed can't do otherwise than increase that number. I am sure that there won't be many of the 4777 that will be able to shut up about the game until at least Tuesday.

So a very hounourable mention for @Wendoverman who was just 5 away from the home crowd with a (calculated) prediction of 4782.
    Honourable mentions for @Glenactico, @YorkExile and @wwfcblue who were 52, 55 and 77 respectively away from correct numbers for our Blue Army.

Gillingham thread up later. Up the Blues - what a day.

• Bit of a stretch surely to believe that 600 people would have travelled 300 miles round trip to queue at a ticket office to buy a ticket to watch a game of football but chose not to because they had to buy a ticket online before driving the same 300 miles and joined the same queue at the same ticket office to collect the ticket to watch the same football match.

I’m no fan of all ticket matches but think the blame for disappointing away attendance lies elsewhere.

• I'd tend to the same view, @DevC, but it seems from talking to others that this sort of thing makes a difference to some people.

• Lincoln only brought 1400 for their first game back in the football which happened to be at Adams Park so I’m not sure quite why people were expecting 1k plus from them.

• @Vincey said:
    Lincoln only brought 1400 for their first game back in the football which happened to be at Adams Park so I’m not sure quite why people were expecting 1k plus from them.

*in the football league

• @DevC said:
    Bit of a stretch surely to believe that 600 people would have travelled 300 miles round trip to queue at a ticket office to buy a ticket to watch a game of football but chose not to because they had to buy a ticket online before driving the same 300 miles and joined the same queue at the same ticket office to collect the ticket to watch the same football match.

I’m no fan of all ticket matches but think the blame for disappointing away attendance lies elsewhere.

If it helps to add some clarity- we, traditionally, have anywhere between 200-400 who will travel on the day or leave it very late to buy a ticket but some southern games, where we have a high exile base, can easily have a higher number rock up on the day OR buy in advance and collect at the ground.

LCFC announced on Tuesday (after the postal option had closed) that there was no POTD AND you had to collect the ticket by 1200hrs Friday at Sincil Bank (so those exiles, who had missed the postal option, now weren't going).

Thursday the club announced you could, after all, collect the pre bought tickets at Adams Park on the day.

However Eventrbrite was still saying you couldn't and had to collect them by 1200 Friday at SIncil Bank

Very confusing 3 days and quite a number clearly thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

This isn't WWFC issue as much as we managed to mess up our club communications- we were only looking likely to bring somewhere between 1150-1300 after a busy August but 785 was well below what we would expect to bring.

Interestingly I have just seen we have made Oxford (at Sincil Bank) all ticket for away fans but only given them half the away stand so something is different to last season.

I do wonder whether Lincs Police are using very out of date assumptions of our risk this season- I don't claim our fans, prior to around 2012, were paragons of virtue or, to be honest, not a bunch of idiots sometimes but the last 3 years particularly have been very positive and constructive- who knows.

Anyway, it's your forum not an Imps one. We wouldn't have played any better if we had 5,000 Imps fans yesterday in the ground.

• @Vincey said:
    Lincoln only brought 1400 for their first game back in the football which happened to be at Adams Park so I’m not sure quite why people were expecting 1k plus from them.

They took 1350 to MK Dons this season though.

• @LincolnImp said:

Anyway, it's your forum not an Imps one. We wouldn't have played any better if we had 5,000 Imps fans yesterday in the ground.

Given that, if you'd had 5000 turn out, you'd have had to stack them in front of your goal to fit them into the ground, the first half would have gone a lot better for you.

• @mooneyman said:

@Vincey said:

They took 1350 to MK Dons this season though.

And that was a Tuesday evening (20 August). They dominated possession 63% to 37% much as they did against us but still lost 2-1. I assume that is because when you are defending or trying to work an opening you will tend to make twice as many passes as the team who counter attack swiftly and efficiently. But they had 27 shots to MK’s 12 (the reverse of the situation against us) so I’m not sure! They had the same starting line-up as against us apart from Andrade and O’Connor.

• Our average away attendance last season was 1395 ranging from 234 (a Tuesday night at Yeovil) to 5,556 (a title game at MK).

This season our numbers have been
    Rotherham 2320
    Doncaster 3120
    MK 1350 (Tuesday night)
    Huddersfield (1st round Carabao Tuesday night) 915

1,000k minimum was my, and most other, expectations of yesterday. Maybe other factors affected the turnout but a decent away day, with a good club who we have a friendly rivalry, no likely issues or troubles for the families- Adams Park is a nice away day- maybe school holidays were still a factor, maybe the cost of the above games during August (and Blackpool away in September which is already a 4 figure away end) did impact all alongside the ticketing issue.

Our inability to get a result away from home (only club in the top 11 not to have a draw yet) is not going to help us longer term this season. Too much possession without a final decision goal. But I don't think either teams fans would be unhappy with a 1st and 5th after 7 games before the season started.