Skip to content

Lincoln - all ticket for away fans?

Evening all.

I'm told by a Lincoln fan that Saturday is all-ticket for them. This fan has heard that it may be on police advice, owing to "past behaviour", though he is unclear what that behaviour might be.

Does anyone here know anything about the reasons behind this decision?

Comments

• Indeed, @AlanCecil. There is no doubting the decision is made. It was the reasons for it being so that I wondered if anyone knew.

• Imps fan in peace.

Certainly the information regarding all ticket and no "pay on the day" was announced yesterday (a little bit late to be deciding this) via LCFC website.

The current understanding is Lincs Police have advised Thames Valley Police who have liaised with WWFC and s the game is now all ticket for away fans (there is some debate that the decision was made when the tickets were sent through to LCFC 4 weeks ago but club admin didn't read the letter accompanying the tickets!).

This will likely mean two things

The away end will be circa 1,000 (if we are lucky)
    Local Imps exiles will probably sit in the home end (not that there is any likelihood of trouble)

Bizarre!- There is absolutely no history between us of any trouble (that I am aware of) and, with Ainsworth as your manager, there is even a little bit of kindred spirit- both regional clubs with passionate local support.

Have no idea what intelligence Lincs Police could possibly pass to TVP which would influence this decision.

So a smaller away end than planned which is a shame.

• I have never really understood what all ticket for just one set of supporters achieves.

• A bit of scuffling from some Lincoln fans that season we stayed up at their ground.

Buy that must have been about 20 years ago?!

• They didn't behave particularly well back in '89 either but, you know, they're probably all old men by now

• They were throwing bags of piss at us 30 years ago, The day they got promoted at Sincil Bank.

• @Malone said:
    A bit of scuffling from some Lincoln fans that season we stayed up at their ground.

Bit of a hairy walk back to the car that day, trying hard not to look happy. But as you say, a generation ago and there's no real history between the clubs other than a shared love of Ainsworth.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@Malone said:
    A bit of scuffling from some Lincoln fans that season we stayed up at their ground.

Bit of a hairy walk back to the car that day, trying hard not to look happy. But as you say, a generation ago and there's no real history between the clubs other than a shared love of Ainsworth.

Remind me, where they already down before the game, or did that game seal their relo?

• they were already down

They seemed mainly a decent bunch, just had a few complete oddballs. Most teams' supporters can probably be described like that I guess

• @eric_plant Don't think they were already down, we sent them down.
    See the excellent COTN article - May 1999 - Mission Impossible @ Lincoln.

• I think Lincoln could have stayed up that season but only by beating us and relying on an unlikely set of results elsewhere. I may be wrong of course but that’s how I recall it.

• No trouble last two seasons though in fact we generously gave them a draw on their return to the league didn't We? Perhaps success has meant 'a firm' of spotty teens led by fat bald veterans of 1999 has appeared. I hear it happens.

• They definitely weren't mathematically down before the game but think it was out of their hands.

• You're quite right (it was 2 decades ago!!!)

I think I got confused because with results elsewhere their relegation was confirmed fairly early regardless of whether they won or not

• If you have gotten what it was like that day, or maybe too young to know even, this is worth a watch

• Great to see that goal again. The most nerve wracking last few minutes of any Wycombe game I’ve ever seen.
    Torquay was a stroll in the park by comparison!

• Fairly sure York City were relegated that day having dropped into the relegation zone for the first time that season when Paul Emblen scored.

• yes - and it was pretty much the first time we'd been out of it!

• And we left it pretty late, 83rd min or suchlike from memory?

• @glasshalffull I disagree. Or should I say, for me it was different. Both matches provided the excruciating agony of hoping for the right end result, but two things made Torquay infinitely worse. 1) our fate was out of our hands (as we’d already sown up our game) whereas at Lincoln it was all unfolding in front of our eyes. 2) the consequences of relegation following Torquay for the club would have been on a different scale to dropping from 3rd to 4th tier. I still don’t know how I got through those last few minutes.

• I agree. Torquay was absolutely excruciating.

I've always thought the time between Essandoh's goal and the final whistle at Filbert St were like torture. Just the thought of what we could lose in an instant.

• LeedsBlue, I take your point but I was talking about the final couple of minutes of those two games. We were 3-0 up at Torquay and the Bristol Rovers game had finished so we could afford to celebrate. A Lincoln goal even in the final few seconds could have changed everything.

• edited September 2019

Those last couple of mins were a mad time, staring at no-one in particular in a mob in the middle behind the goal, where seemingly only one guy in the ground had an up to date radio stream.

That ROAR when we were safe, and seeing Bloomfield jumping up and down fist pumping, while our game was still going on is truly one of the best memories ever.

When you look at some of the chances Rovers didn't score that day, just wow.

• I agree Malone, I’ll never forget that roar when the final score came in from Bristol. I will always have a soft spot for Torquay and their fans because it can’t have been easy seeing us celebrating so wildly when they had been relegated themselves.

• Torquay was made worse by grown men spontaneously bursting into tears at various points. One grabbed me by the lapels and started ranting about the Hellenic League.

• It's also quite hard to forget the changing room celebrations, the team all greased up and chanting along to some pop song, not entirely sure if you should be watching it.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @glasshalffull I disagree. Or should I say, for me it was different. Both matches provided the excruciating agony of hoping for the right end result, but two things made Torquay infinitely worse. 1) our fate was out of our hands (as we’d already sown up our game) whereas at Lincoln it was all unfolding in front of our eyes. 2) the consequences of relegation following Torquay for the club would have been on a different scale to dropping from 3rd to 4th tier. I still don’t know how I got through those last few minutes.

What is the point in grammar schools if you use 'sown' here? ? @micra must be furious

• @Malone said:

When you look at some of the chances Rovers didn't score that day, just wow.

I've watched the video to that game multiple times and still somehow expect one of those shots to go in.

Best. Day. Ever.

• Fast forward to 5mins 30secs for a recording of that celebratory roar. Our game finished less than a minute later.