Skip to content

5* entertainment at a 5* price

St Albans City 2 Wealdstone 3

Great game at Clarence Park tonight as Wealdstone cemented their place at the top of National League South in front of a crowd of 805 (about 300 noisy visiting fans).

For the league below the National League I was quite shocked by the £18 admission price. However, apart from over-65s there was also a concession price of £12 for season-ticket holders of Premier League or EFL clubs. £12 is a bit more realistic.

Wealdstone played some nice passing football and took the lead on the half hour through Jacob Mendy from a knock-down by Ross Lafayette. Just on half-time City levelled through Albert Adu Donyina. The second-half was like a boxing match with both sides slugging it out with end-to-end attacks.

Danny Green put Wealdstone ahead with a great shot and Ross Lafayette extended the lead from the penalty spot after a hotly-disputed handball.

Sam Merson hit the bar for St Albans as the home side staged a late rally. Rhys Murrell-Williamson reduced the arrears with a cracking left-foot shot but the visitors held on to secure a valuable win. Great stuff!

Comments

• Great summary. Also enjoyed this one. Wealdstone played some very good football despite nearly succumbing to the fightback from St Albans - having at one point looked as if they were going to get 4 or 5. Danny Green’s strike for Wealdstone was indeed top notch.

Other points of note:
    1) Away fans boycotting any purchases inside the ground due to entry price
    2) Ex-Wanderer loanee Nick Arnold at RB for the league leaders
    3) Super view compared to last Saturday!

• Clarence Park used to be one of my favourite away grounds. I hope it’s not changed that much

• Is there still a tree growing in the middle of the terrace behind one of the goals?

• @Twizz said:
    Is there still a tree growing in the middle of the terrace behind one of the goals?

I think it was mysteriously poisoned.

• No tree sadly. I believe it was removed as the league wouldn’t sanction it. That was several years ago. The ground has changed very little though.