Skip to content

Attendance disappointing

Comments

• Question that always has to be asked is does the scheme generate more revenue or less.

Does the coffee style shop encourage more people to come to their eighth or ninth game to earn their freebie than revenue lost from the guy who was always going to watch and pay for his tenth game that you have now given him for nothing.

Does the kickback to season ticket holders for bringing a friend earn more revenue from people who wouldn't have otherwise come or lose revenue from people who were always coming and paying but now you are paying out on.

Think aeroplane with 50 seats. 30 people are willing to pay £100, 20 no more than £50. Put all seats on sale for £50 and you get revenue of £2500. Put all seats on sale for £100, you get revenue of £3000. If you can find a way to charge the 30 £100 and the 20 only £50 and you get total revenue of £4000 but its bloody hard to do.

• @Last_Quarter agree with most of your points although I think a ST holder would be less bothered about getting something back for bringing someone on a cheapie and more interested in getting the attendance up. Or is that just me? (ST getting two for one on bags of quality potato based snacks...now that's a good idea!)

• @DevC said:

>

Think aeroplane with 50 seats. 30 people are willing to pay £100, 20 no more than £50. Put all seats on sale for £50 and you get revenue of £2500. Put all seats on sale for £100, you get revenue of £3000. If you can find a way to charge the 30 £100 and the 20 only £50 and you get total revenue of £4000 but its bloody hard to do.

Can't be that hard, since it seems standard practice for train companies and airlines to sell tickets on a sliding price scale; limited numbers of cheaper tickets available then, once those are gone, increasing in price until the last few are full fare.

• Yet again a man who contributes nothing financially towards the football club sees fit to patronise those that do when they're sharing ideas to increase gates.

Just stay out of it Dev, it doesn't concern you. One thing we know for sure is there is no scheme on earth that the club could come up with to make a profit out of your "support"

• Like many football owners I like the football, not so keen on the maths involved.

• Eric, you have a remarkable ability to see patronisation (is that a word?) when it doesn't exist and to turn personal when you have nothing to say. Its a shame in my honest opinion.

Uncle T, airlines and train companies rack their brains trying to find ways to restrict the £50 tickets to those only willing to pay £50 and stop those who would have been willing to pay £100 getting their mitts on the cheaper tickets. Its very hard to do though. The reason why those paying early tend to get cheaper prices is an attempt to do this. Theory goes that those travelling on leisure and buying the ticket themselves are likely to be willing to pay less than those travelling on business with someone else paying the bill but that generally leisure travellers decide to travel earlier and so can buy say a month before travel while business travellers only finalise their agenda and pay a couple of days earlier. Its a pretty blunt instrument to be honest but the best they have.

• edited August 2019

@eric_plant said:

Yet again a man who contributes nothing financially towards the football club sees fit to patronise those that do when they're sharing ideas to increase gates.

Just stay out of it Dev, it doesn't concern you. One thing we know for sure is there is no scheme on earth that the club could come up with to make a profit out of your "support"

That's a bit unfair Eric. He does provide the club with valuable free planning advice so far as it affects Adams Park and the Training Ground.

• edited August 2019

I feel sure @DevC has some sensible, achievable suggestions to guarantee increased revenue that will make any of the poor quality drivel on here look like the nonsensical ramblings of an infinite collection of monkeys...

• Champagne moment, @eric_plant!

One thing we know for sure is there is no scheme on earth that the club could come up with to make a profit out of your "support"

• @Last_Quarter said:

To contradict myself though - I would look to install a big next fixture board though on the roundabout at the end of Hillbottom Road - every other club I've ever been to has one, and it would at least remind passers by that there is a football stadium half a mile away.

Excellente idea.

End of Hillbottom Road though? Or somewhere near the Hour Glass, or even West Wycombe road, to maximise the "drive past" effect?
    I suppose nearer the ground the better - but slightly further out gets more people viewing it?

• @eric_plant said:
    Yet again a man who contributes nothing financially towards the football club sees fit to patronise those that do when they're sharing ideas to increase gates.

Watford and Wycombe half and half scarves ?
    He can wear it like a 'yoof' to disguise his identidy on his solo ogling training trips.

• The 10 game mini season ticket, perhaps as mooted for the price of 9 is an interesting idea. The club have done smaller versions of this at the end of recent seasons.

Yes, it may lose you a bit of money from people who "probably" would have gone to 10 at full price anyway. But there's no guarantee they would have - and this IS a guarantee that they're paying for 9.

It'd work splendidly for Wycombe-ites temporarily studying like the fella above had said, and also for certain exiles - one of my game going pals for one example.

Also, as they're only getting 1 game free, and season ticket holders get more than that, there's no complaint from them as has previously been a concern.

• I like @FmG 's idea of a 10 game card...that you pay for upfront and can use ten times during the season. (I assume that would only be home)

• @Wendoverman, there would have to be some sort of discount or early bird price? Otherwise no advantage to the buyer?

• @Malone said:
    @Wendoverman, there would have to be some sort of discount or early bird price? Otherwise no advantage to the buyer?

see @FmG original rationale as above aimed at the youngling population away at college or some such for whom an ST not an option. You could add people whose job means they cannot commit to every saturday...but could benefit from from having a card that lets them get in as and when. They would be paying for convenience rather than discount but I can see your point. This is why I am not successfully running a football club.

• True - I don't want to go "all Dev", as all ideas are worth exploring.
    But...I'd just wonder why someone who can't really get to games that often would take the risk that they could still get 10 games in?

Especially now that the ticketing seems to be pretty easy, even for Luddites like me (apps, or home print etc - not the old queue for 30mins, giving all your details and miss a bit of the match)

• @Malone said:

But...I'd just wonder why someone who can't really get to games that often would take the risk that they could still get 10 games in?

Some people like risk @Malone living life on the edge...

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

Different to the likes of me, who are so tight, that the risk of having ONE game paid for I might not get to would quickly leave me in a pool of liquid.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

Different to the likes of me, who are so tight, that the risk of having ONE game paid for I might not get to would quickly leave me in a pool of liquid.

I am missing two games as a result of Mrs W booking the hols. I am wheezing painfully into a paper bag in distress as I type...

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

I am missing two games as a result of Mrs W booking the hols. I am wheezing painfully into a paper bag in distress as I type...

You can donate them to my poor young pal who can't afford much.
    He'll thank you in crisps, or anecdotes, or something.

• As Malone rightly says, all ideas are worth exploring even if most of them end up being rejected for sensible reasons. Better to do that than criticise those ideas before they’ve even been considered.

• I'm pretty sure the ten-game pass thing existed for a while a few years ago but it's definitely worth investigating. My lad and his mate, both current STH, are off to uni next year but would definitely want to come to those games they could, out of term time with some kind of discount incentive.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'm pretty sure the ten-game pass thing existed for a while a few years ago but it's definitely worth investigating. My lad and his mate, both current STH, are off to uni next year but would definitely want to come to those games they could, out of term time with some kind of discount incentive.

Do you think they would be less likely if the discount wasn't on offer?

I also wonder how many full season tickets holders would give that up for the 10 game option? A couple of people I know are convinced the in season offers to non season ticket holders makes it a cheaper option than a season ticket, especially if they get to only 18 or so games.

Do they club still have the fabled Steve Hayes CRM database? The free game and data requests were done to gain knowledge of people. Did last years Data Protection laws nullify that?

• @FmG said:
    I mentioned to the club the idea about getting a ticket for, say, 10 matches which can be used any time during the season when I went off to uni but don't remember it ever being offered. Would have been great to be able to use it when I was back for holidays/the odd weekend to replace a full season ticket.

We put so much effort into getting kids in so seems a sensible way of continuing their connection to club during the uni years when they'll likely not be in the area, and then hopefully they return to full season ticket holders once graduated.

I think that's an excellent idea.

• I've bought the half-season tickets in the past when we did them. Don't think I ever made it to all the games that I could have, but the deal was positioned perfectly in that it wasn't too expensive and I felt good about giving the club slightly more money than they would have gotten otherwise. It also actually made me make the effort to get to more of those games than I otherwise would have.

• I can’t speak for others, but I buy my season ticket every year knowing that I will probably make around half the home games. I appreciate this isn’t exactly good commercial sense on my part but the reason for doing so is that I then feel committed to attending half the games.

If I didn’t commit up front like this, I know that there would always be good excuses not to attend (the cost, the weather, the extra 2 hour train diversion via Lincoln on the way back home, family stuff, etc, and I’d probably end up seeing only a handful of games at AP.

So for people like me and who do live some distance away, that 10 game ticket (get 1 free) likely means they would buy one and come to around 10 games whereas if they just to decide to buy as and when it is easy to find a good reason not to come and end up losing the habit.

So an excellent idea in my opinion

• I didn’t realise you lived so far away Bookertease, I salute your dedication to the mighty Blues.

• @bookertease Exactly that. Great idea @FmG. I get to roughly 5-7 home games a season these days. If I could buy a ten game card then I'd probably try that little bit harder to actually get to ten, but even if I didn't I'd be happy to donate a bit extra to the club in exchange for the convenience of not having to buy a single ticket each time, plus perhaps other perks such as secondary priority after STH's for tickets to high demand games etc.

• @Mr67 said:
    Very good idea FmG a sort of Wycombe Wanderers Oyster card also like the idea of the next fixture board ,Chesham have one by that roundabout. Would have thought we could dodge any planning permission by maybe getting one of the companies on the corner there to display and sponser it?

• I think a 10 game ticket is a great idea ... and I know a few friends who dont want to commit to a whole season that would definitely go for this