Skip to content

Bury Expelled from the EFL

I don't really know what to say.

Comments

• This feels like the beginning of a grim period for the game. Poor fans!

• Whatever the arguments about overspending etc, the losers, as ever, are the fans. Heartbreaking for them.

• Talking to a Wycombe based mate of mine who is a Bury fan tonight. Tried to console him they will rise from the Ashes. As you say the fans are the losers but I'm sure they will ensure the club will come back We wish them well

• What an awful outcome, especially for their fans. Sad for us too, we've had some good games there, notably in 2011 when we took a big step towards promotion. Also remember our first game there in 1993, a good away win for us, and the end of our long unbeaten run from the start of the season in 2005.
    I just hope that at some point they can restart at whatever level is decided, and climb back to where they should be. Might take a while though.

• And Dave Carroll scoring his 100th goal for us at Gigg Lane.

• Yeah, that was a good one as well.

• a damn disgrace efl aint blameless either .

• It's a terrible outcome for the fans but it's the employees who have lost jobs we should really be feeling sorry for.
    Also the creditors who Bury didn't pay as they ran up debts to achieve promotion from League 2. How many of those businesses, sole traders have lost out due to the CVA?
    As football supports we feel for our fellow supporters of Bury but many others have lost out financially because of this mess through no fault of their own.

Sadly the only person to benefit is probably Mr Dale ...

• I have no words. Now struck off the Bury matches of my calendar. Will I be doing the same with Bolton in two weeks?

• Its sad. I've enjoyed my visits to Gigg Lane.

I can only hope there is something positive comes out of this with the EFL and the rest of the structure learning from what has happened and putting measures in place to prevent it happening again.

• I heard on the BBC that they cannot develop Gigg Lane without building the club another stadium...which is nice. Not that anyone would build on Adams Park never ever in a million years...that might be worth putting in our small print!

• Won't it be under water in a million years?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I heard on the BBC that they cannot develop Gigg Lane without building the club another stadium...which is nice. Not that anyone would build on Adams Park never ever in a million years...that might be worth putting in our small print!

Does that apply only with regard to the existing club? If the existing club is liquidated and ceases to exist would that limitation not then cease to be enforceable?

I can't see it being a continuing obligation to build a new stadium for any phoenix club that may be set up. It could certainly get messy if more than one new or renamed club claimed to be the true successor to the original, with each insisting that they are the ones who should be given a new ground.

• @Uncle_T said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I heard on the BBC that they cannot develop Gigg Lane without building the club another stadium...which is nice. Not that anyone would build on Adams Park never ever in a million years...that might be worth putting in our small print!

Does that apply only with regard to the existing club? If the existing club is liquidated and ceases to exist would that limitation not then cease to be enforceable?

I can't see it being a continuing obligation to build a new stadium for any phoenix club that may be set up. It could certainly get messy if more than one new or renamed club claimed to be the true successor to the original, with each insisting that they are the ones who should be given a new ground.

This one comes up every so often, I do like the idea but just like listed or council buildings, should it fall in to disrepair for a bit , become unsafe, maybe have a mysterious fire and nobody willing to pay for a refit its only a matter of time before this goes out of the window.

• @Uncle_T @StrongestTeam I hear you! Just reporting what one of the leaders of the Bury fan organisation said on the BBC...having had talks with the council. Of course once they have chased the Dale family out of the area and a few years after the event when things have died down the council might well revisit what is now an electorally unpopular decision!

• Would it be seen as short sighted of me to not be as bothered about what will happen in a million years time? Just hope Gareth is still manager

• While I have sympathy for the Bury fans and those from Bolton, I notice nothing is being said anywhere about the businesses that are effected and are owed thousands following the CVA and insolvency.

• @yorkyblue When a team has been expelled I guess it's not the done thing to focus on those uncomfortable truths. Their promotion being built on money not being there being another.

• Stewart Day agreed to pay Jermaine Beckford £5000 a week in League 2 ...... yes its not the fans fault but at the end of the day none of them were complaining when they got promoted.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Stewart Day agreed to pay Jermaine Beckford £5000 a week in League 2 ...... yes its not the fans fault but at the end of the day none of them were complaining when they got promoted.

Not true in the slightest. Bury fans have been worried for years that this could happen

• edited August 2019

Disappointing that the club haven't yet come out with a sympathy/solidarity statement - as plenty of other clubs have already done. All of football should share in the sadness.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Stewart Day agreed to pay Jermaine Beckford £5000 a week in League 2 ...... yes its not the fans fault but at the end of the day none of them were complaining when they got promoted.

I believe that he was actually paid £8000 a week! Insane.

• There was talk of a player being on 10k a week there, and that Sheff Utd couldn't afford him two divisions higher, so had to give an extra year on the contract to swing it

(always the risk that the numbers get higher and higher the more the stories go round of course - bit like the legendary Risdale at Leeds stories about Seth Johnson and also with a fish tank )

• I mentioned in an earlier thread that someone in a position of high authority at Bury confirmed that their playing budget last season was three times greater than Wycombe’s!

• Ryan Lowe said last night on the debate that 8000 a week is pure lies

• He would know, would he?

• Ryan Lowe is a prick.

• @drcongo said:
    Ryan Lowe is a prick.

So you were richie all along? Shame on you doctor.

• If he's now sounding like richie, in his defence @drcongo probably spent too long with me on Saturday!

• I'll take that defence.