Skip to content

Match day thread: Southend

Comments

• Gape, Thompson + A. N. Other

• Thompson, Gape and Freeman.

• Gape, Thompson and Freeman

• Gape, Thompson and Freeman - possibly Pattison for Thompson if we really need to go for it.

• Bloomy's main job seemed to be 'being in the way' for players on both sides! Thompson gape and Freeman would be a great midfield three...grimmer has been a great replacement for McCarthy and having wheeler, Smyth Fred and kashket is mouth watering. Samuel running defences ragged until bayo ambles on is great. I once said that to be honest results like this make going to football worth it and even a relegation battle is better than mid-table empty fixtures. To which some said give me a boring one nil win and mid-table boring safety every time. I understand that but I disagree. We may have a terrible goalie (not that i think we have!)and not sorted out the best defence yet...but games like this and being unbeaten so far has to be worth the price of a season ticket!

• Re: Bloomfield, he won the ball for Freeman to set up Kashket’s winner.

• Bayo's celebration toward the FA at the end of the game included gesticulating praise to Bloomfield. So he must think Blooms contributed!

• edited August 2019

The Attack Momentum graphic here shows just how much we battered Southend. We really have shown superb intensity at times this season. https://www.sofascore.com/southend-united-wycombe-wanderers/mbsZb

• @aloysius said:

@Chris said:
    @aloysius Pattison was brilliant against Fleetwood, the most impressive of the new signings for me.

Given we appear settled on a tight midfield three, which would be your first choice triplet if all players were fit?

I agree with @eric_plant - Gape, Thompson and whoever is most suited to the opposition and circumstances. Pattison with Freeman from the bench for most games.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2019

There's every chance that JGS could be another Gaz diamond in the rough as well. I'm sure he'll get his first run out in the thingy next month.

• Not sure if it’s been mentioned elsewhere but Curtis Thompson and Jacob Gardiner-Smith did the rounds of the Woodland Lounge yesterday. I was “detained” (very happily) in Rebellion Village until 2.40 and they were just leaving as I walked in but I heard someone saying that Thommo had lost weight (which he confirmed). He certainly looked very fit. I don’t know how soon he expects to be in contention.

• Training next week @micra

• Hopefully he hasn't lost any of his force or power.

• We've had more shots per game than any other team in the top 4 divisions. I think we can celebrate that!

• Thanks @Onlooker. That’s good news.

I wondered about that @Malone. He played for a hell of a long time with the injury I believe and has since had surgery but you’d expect him to be a bit wary for a while until he hits the deck a couple of times and, hopefully, discovers that the shoulder is holding up OK.

• Incidentally @micra my dentist thanks you for not bringing the celebratory sweets on Saturday!

• @th100 said:
    The Attack Momentum graphic here shows just how much we battered Southend. We really have shown superb intensity at times this season. https://www.sofascore.com/southend-united-wycombe-wanderers/mbsZb

Thanks for the link. Not seen this site before. Interesting graphic. Amazed and pleased to see our attacking intensity in the last 10 minutes when a goal up at Fleetwood. That really is a positive new development

• @bookertease No worries. Opta now cover the bottom two divisions in the same depth as the top two, so that's the basic data you're seeing on SofaScore. I'm really interested in the whole data/analytics side of the game, so I think it's brilliant being able to access all that for free. Their app is well worth downloading too, especially if you're interested in tracking that kind of stuff during a game.

• @Slaphead said:
    Incidentally @micra my dentist thanks you for not bringing the celebratory sweets on Saturday!

Lol ! (he said getting down with de kids). Until the weather cools down and I have a few more pockets they’re a pain to cart around, especially in the village. Enjoy the cruise and see you for the Pompey game. A significant date.

• Thank you @th100, I will look forward to these as much as I used to look forward to the opposition view on Vital.

You make a very coherent case for Nick Freeman starting over Matt Bloomfield. Sir Gaffer has talked about stability at the beginning of this season, and does often seem to value leaving alone a winning combination. To me we do seem slightly more stable with Bloomfield on the pitch and more alight with Freeman on there.

• More great work, @th100. Thanks again.

• We are really being spoilt this season on just about every possible front. The football has generally managed to be entertaining and heart-stoppingly exciting. The on the pitch squad has taken a generally healthy, lean, non-bloated shape. The pre and post match offerings and entertainment have improved dramatically. And we have both the wonderful, brilliantly and lovingly put together podcast by @bluntphil and analysis of the game by @th100.

A fine time to be a Wanderer!

• I assume new assistant manager Gary Waddock...will soon be caretaker manager Gary Waddock?

• Do what, do what @Wendoverman ?
    What’s that all about? Not back is he? Tell me it ain’t true.

• Hopefully hes talking about at Southend

• @micra Presume Wendoverman aludes to Southend's latest hammering at the hands of the franchise in the League Cup, or whatever it is called these days.

• Carbolic I think @Cyclops.
    I panicked a bit and got googling but found diddly squat. But @Wendoverman spoke as if it were a fête accompli (whatever it was). Excuse my French.